end of FM series

Has SI planned any end of series in few years ( 3-4 years ) ?

Or there are still many ideas and ressources to put on this game ?

All the game has an end, so FM will end once I suppose ?

Are we far from this end or we can still enjoy for 20 years ?

• SI Staff

We're certainly not short of ideas. There's probably enough to keep us busy for several more versions but by that point football will have evolved again and we'll have more ideas to consider.

I hope that it never ends, and i can't imagine it ever ending unless (God forbid) SI go out of business. There will always be huge support for football and as a result a large market for this kind of game. If fm ever did end another similar game would take its place.

I think SI should stick to what they do best....Football.

There is no reason for FM to ever end, every year there's a new season, so even if the game becomes so brilliant, there'll always be a need for a season update etc.

If they pack it in, I'll do my own FM.

It'd be a massive task to undertake to create an ME for it, as you'd need to call plays etc all game (unless you have assistants running the game in your place or a selection of plays automatically picked), but I'd really love to see SI do an American Football management game. EA did one a few years ago but I found it to be alot like their soccer manager; all about aesthetics and completely missing the point of the game.

Very technical game rulebook wise aswell. I'm pretty sure even the most diehard of fans don't know all the rules.

Would love an NFL Manager. So so so much :(

Edit: Oh yeah, as tlm said, no reason to end the series. Even if everything gets absolutely perfected (slim chance, nothings perfect after all :(), databases still need updating, GUI's need refreshing and the game is constantly evolving anyway.

SI was founded to do FM (well, the original CM's anyway) and thats what they should stick to. Then again having said that Nintendo were originally a card company. As for how long FM can run for, it has a massive fanbase and there are a lot of people (I know I'm one) who will always fancy an up to date FM as it gradually develops and more things are possible, and of course as has been mentioned, as the game evolves to open up more possibilities.

Most games, ones which traditionally "end", need a backstory. FM is based on football. It needs no backstory.

Most other sports wouldn't be as good tbh. The manager's input in a cricket match is limited (tactics are normally dictated by the captain) and in rugby, there's only one formation. Hockey could probably work, but the audience is limited.

Most games, ones which traditionally "end", need a backstory. FM is based on football. It needs no backstory.

Most other sports wouldn't be as good tbh. The manager's input in a cricket match is limited (tactics are normally dictated by the captain) and in rugby, there's only one formation. Hockey could probably work, but the audience is limited.

There are cricket captain games out there, but never tried one myself.

On the podcast they spoke about this - Miles said they'll keep making FM as long as they are "enthusiastic" about it - he mentioned how they were still young etc etc so thankfully it looks like there's many years of "escape" (as Miles put it) left to come!

Actually, the best game that SI could develop in terms of marketing appeal and similarity to FM would be a basketball management/coaching sim. There are several products for this on the market, but they're all developed by individual programmers and only involve the NBA. They do not include European, South American, and other overseas leagues.

If SI wanted to make a truly huge splash, it would be to make an American Football Manager game. That would be a massive seller in the U.S. and Canada if it was developed with the same depth as FM. But a lot of the SI top staff are fans of Front Office Football, which is arguably the closest thing to FM for American Football on the market. So unless they buy the rights to that game and bring on the programmer, I don't know that they would develop a competing product.

Has SI planned any end of series in few years ( 3-4 years ) ?

Or there are still many ideas and ressources to put on this game ?

All the game has an end, so FM will end once I suppose ?

Are we far from this end or we can still enjoy for 20 years ?

I find the bold bit of your post really odd...

Why would a game that's been going nearly 20 years come to an end anytime soon, particularly "3-4 years"? :confused:

Actually, the best game that SI could develop in terms of marketing appeal and similarity to FM would be a basketball management/coaching sim. There are several products for this on the market, but they're all developed by individual programmers and only involve the NBA. They do not include European, South American, and other overseas leagues.

If SI wanted to make a truly huge splash, it would be to make an American Football Manager game. That would be a massive seller in the U.S. and Canada if it was developed with the same depth as FM. But a lot of the SI top staff are fans of Front Office Football, which is arguably the closest thing to FM for American Football on the market. So unless they buy the rights to that game and bring on the programmer, I don't know that they would develop a competing product.

Its a really good game, as a huge NFL fan my hope is for an SI version. Where did you hear they are fans of FOF, do they discuss this anywhere? Also FOF hasnt released a version since 2007 so I dont think it would be competing anymore.

An American Football game would be pretty cool, if only for the moment when you're trying to work out whether the dot reciever got both feet in-bounds so you know whether to throw a challenge flag or not. :p

In all seriousness, american football is pretty much made for this type of game, so it's the natural choice.

Well, unless SI goes out of business, which is highly unlikely, this series will never end. I am still waiting for the release of a version of FM where ALL the nations and leagues of the world are being included and you DO NOT have to use an editor to create new leagues!!

Basketball manager ? i have one (very old ) game about it , trust me it is super hard since you have to apply systems , defences, traps , man to mans correctly AND change them every now and then inside the same period sometimes ; not to mention finding the correct guys to play the correct roles .

I 'd love to see SI trying to apply realism into such a game.

This game will never ever end. Just as football will never ever end. This is the quintisential depiction of what is the greatest game on earth. I know of no other sport that summons so much love, hate and countless other emotions as does football. As a society we need it.

LONG LIVE FOOTBALL! AND LONG LIVE FOOTBALL MANAGER!

If they did F1 manager right, you'd have to be doing maths all the way through the race (emergency pitstops, change of strategy, your drivers being held up by slower cars etc etc etc) meaning people wouldn't be able to blast through a season in a day.

It'd be fantastic! But I'm still with NFL as my first vote. Then F1. The Kabbadi. Just for the pure giggles. Especially if it had proper audio and voice acting.

Archived