Does Your Wife or Girlfriend Support Your FM Obsession?

Soooo I'm sure this question has already been asked but my girlfriend of six months is buying me FM10. How cool is that? She's a huge fan of football too. I've told her a bit about the game and how large the community of players is and she has preordered the game for me as an anniversary gift. And she even went so far as to say when it releases she'd like to see it. Don't know how others would feel about this but I think I'm pretty lucky. Who knows? Maybe she'll orchestrate for me that often illusive Lionel Messi Transfer.

Curious if any one else has experienced such support with FM.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My girlfriend, of 3 months at the time, was worried when I tried (on the advice of my housemate) World of Warcraft fearing she would lose me to computer games - little knowing that I already had an obsession. Well WoW didnt last long and 2 years later same girlfriend who now isnt impressed with the amount of time she is 2nd to FM but she is always greated with the same answer:

"I promised not to let WoW change the amount of time I spend on the computer compared to with you, but I retain the right to maintain my other current usage rates." She agreed. Job Done.

Yeah that’s a tricky one alright. Looks like you’ve scored well though!

My advice would be that women are by nature unpredictable. Use your judgment; observe; and be prepared for them to change their mind completely at the drop of a hat!!! My wife generally tolerates my ‘dedication’ to FM, though she soon makes it known with little subtlety when she feels that I am neglecting other critical aspects of matrimonial bliss!!!!

My girlfriend of 10 month knows that I'm mad about football and surely i could talk about it for days without taking a breath. But she doesn't know about fm yet cause she's mostly at uni so when she is home i tend to not play when we are together. Come this Friday with the demo in hand she to comes home for my birthday now face this dilemma of mine. Should I say to her darling don't give me a gift just leave me alone this weekend in a box until i pass out :D

My girlfriend supports what I tell her to support.

But seriously, she actually likes me gaming*. She thinks it's "cute" =/ Only she would find me yelling, cheering and crying over/at computer games "cute". She's probably foolish enough to think that games are no threat to her too!

*Gaming includes: CS, WoW, Aion, Operation Flashpoint, Race 07 and FM.

Nope, hasent even noticed that ive not been playing with "stupid dots" as she calls them anymore and that the game went 3-d

But the dots are still cool :D might go back to them just to see if she notices. I remember getting my mate to play this game and he couldnt understand the dots, asked what the hell his dot was doing and then bang! wondergoal. I suggest you all now question what your dots are doing all the time.

My girlfriend, who watches me plays football on a Sunday, couldn't get over the fact that my team was in an away kit.

I'm Pescara (usually blue) and I played Brescia away, so I changed to a yellow kit, Brescia scored and she was like yay you scored, but I was like no, i'm in yellow. Then she went off on one claiming the game was silly cause I had to change my kit for an away game.

Then the classic, "they're only little dots on a screen"

and, she actually likes football! :D

My wife just sort of lets me get on with playing FM. As long as i have done whats needed im free to play as much as i like. That way she gets to watch Eastenders, Coronation Street, X-Factor in peace and without me telling her how pap they are, whilst i have the laptop on the sofa playing FM/browsing the internet. Its a win/win!

My girlfriend of over 3 years tolerates my FM obsession but makes sure she lets me know how much time i spend on the game and claims its my second girlfriend.

Second girlfriend?? Second?? You my friend are not devoting enough time, she should feel second, how dare you treat FM like that :D

I simply advice my missus to not make me choose as she may not like the answer, soon shuts her up for a while!

My girlfriend has a long list of these items - she doesnt like that very much!

Mine hates it and cannot understand how I enjoy it, she moans about me and FM to her friends, moans about it on FB and moans about it when she can.

I don't care though, I just tell her about my attempts to sign X, Y or Z.

Well played sir!

My Girlfriend is moving in with me on friday!! she has the wknd planned for shopping in Ikea to "Improve" my place! haven't told her about the demo coming out yet i want to surprise her:)

Just dont give her the credit card after said surprise...

The answer:

2 Computers

1 with FM

1 with Solitaire and other mindless card games

Simples!

Never ceases to amaze me how women can sit for hours playing solitaire and the like. Also, my missus is massively into this "Farm Ville" nonsense on Facebook atm. I swear to God I'll be in the middle of a massively important match (you understand) and out of nowhere:

"Oh quick! I need to harvest my grapes/melons/cotton etc!..."

Um.... no. :D

Flying over to visit my girl on the 16th.. I suppose deciding to spend that evening being romantic with her or downloading the FM2010 demo will decide my future..

She calls it the "dots game" though, and I get to play it as long as she gets her attention in between games! She also told me to give up cos I never win anything..

My wife is used to FM now, it's been part of our lives since we got together 9 years ago now.

Albeit it's not part of our lives she wants but she understands how important it is to me, just...

There are ground rules though.

1. No playing it for longer than 5 hours at a time.

2. No shouting profanity while she is in the house.

3. No playing FM when we have guests - it's rude, apparently (even when you hate the guests).

4. I have to have done designated house chores first.

5. If she wants to go out 'shopping', FM must wait (but when I get home, rule 1 is scrapped for that day only).

Overall, I can't moan.

I'm 32 now, and I'm actually vbery thankfull to my wife for being quite strict with me because if she wasn't, I'd find it very difficult to not slip back into old habits...

And these days, with games like Call Of Duty etc, spending vast amounts of time gaming is so, so tempting.

In a way, I'm dreading FM coming out, I know I'll be bending those rules for the first 2-3 months and this year, with MW2 coming out too, I'm going to be in the cack numerous times without doubt.

I get left to play FM and the wife has control of the TV remote. There is an understanding. She does have ways of making me stop playing. A quick flash from the other side of the room then goes upstairs to the bedroom, i soon follow. ;)

...She also told me to give up cos I never win anything..

This is why SI need to develop a 3D trophy room. So you can show people around and prove that the "silly game" isn't a "waste of time".

"Oh I'm sorry love, where's your 5 consecutive league titles, 4 FA Cups and 4 Champions League trophies? Mine are right here, but I don't see yours. You know the rules; No trophies, no opinion!"

Never ceases to amaze me how women can sit for hours playing solitaire and the like. Also, my missus is massively into this "Farm Ville" nonsense on Facebook atm. I swear to God I'll be in the middle of a massively important match (you understand) and out of nowhere:

ha ha, i know exactly what you mean mate! My wife has just become addicted to some pap game on facebook too! We just bought a new house and i cleverly (or so i thought) set up wireless so she could go on the pc and i could be on the couch with the lappy and FM! Only probs is she says its "too cold" in the back room where the pc is, and has taken to hijacking my lappy when i'm busy doing something else. Grrrrr!!! Oh well, though it does cost me some fm time, it does mean i have tasty retort prepared if she dares complain about me playing fm!!!

My Girlfriend has pre-ordered the game for me AND due to my internet being down (I'm writing this through the wonder of my google phone) she's bought me a dongle for my laptop so I can download the demo when it gets released!

unfortunately no....she finds the idea of a game based on 'watching' football ridiculous...

My girl thinks exactly the same way. She doesn't understand the point of the game. We're now together for 6 years and a half and she was always affraid of videos games. She fears I live her for the computer, or the console. She always say I play too much. She hates the idea of me playing.

Even though, she offers me video games, but always against her will. I'm gonna have to buy FM10 without her knowing. When she finds out, I'm probably dead, but that's a risk I'll take to play the best game in the world.

Cheers.

Tell me about it, I'm battling away having just got on the pc for the first time in a week and then the mrs will moan she's bored after 10 minutes of tv. She'll purposely refuse to do anything else but sulk that i'm "hogging" the pc because she can't get on facebook.

What is it with a womans obsession with sitting and doing NOTHING on facebook!? They read status' and view pictures of people they don't like and do stupid quizes and survery things, then moan we play FM?

Also these stupid java games where you just click stuff and every game is the same drive me mad, but she'll spend hours on them... while claiming she's bored... sigh

Been with my girlfriend for four years and I've had no problems :D

Firstly, she doesn't mind me playing Football Manager. I usually play it during my spare time or when she's at work, so she doesn't really get effected by this. I've had the usual comments of "they're just dots moving around??", but nothing more.

Watching football is another matter - I require a mere 90 minutes of TV and the world has come to an end. I could let her watch all the programmes on that week, take her out wherever she wants and spoil her rotten and STILL she can moan about having to watch a game of football :p

She does cheer and get excited when we score though, so secretly I think she enjoys it - I think her female genetics make her feel obliged to whine about it first. She'll also play Fifa quite happily (albeit very poorly) so another few more years and I'll have her fully converted.

Tell me about it, I'm battling away having just got on the pc for the first time in a week and then the mrs will moan she's bored after 10 minutes of tv. She'll purposely refuse to do anything else but sulk that i'm "hogging" the pc because she can't get on facebook.

What is it with a womans obsession with sitting and doing NOTHING on facebook!? They read status' and view pictures of people they don't like and do stupid quizes and survery things, then moan we play FM?

Also these stupid java games where you just click stuff and every game is the same drive me mad, but she'll spend hours on them... while claiming she's bored... sigh

Your Mrs wouldn't happen to be my wife, would she? same scenario. Get her a laptop, and 'the screens not big enough'. Its facebook for cryin gout loud! you can do it on an iphone screen.

Then came the dreaded moment when she tried FM, and quite enjoyed it. I thought it would be a good idea to get her involved and show her how it works. Big mistake. She's a typical woman who makes list and stuff. She had shortlists on the fridge, player form graphs... I dont know how or where she got the name from, but she bought Balotelli and he did really well for her. It was a struggle to get her off of it. Dangerous game. Gladly, Sims 3 came along and she is too involved with that to care anymore. Not gonna show her FM10. It was as if it took her life over. Imagine, a game getting so involved in someones life..... oh dear.

Nah, my wife absolutely hate it but I tell her to shut up as I let her watch The Hills, Most Haunted, X-Factor and stuff on the TV when I'm playing. So sort of works in both our favour, though she still hates it ;)

I suppose my girlfriend didn't know how to properly support my obsession at first, but after 5 years or so together she found the perfect solution. She suggested I should get my own place where I could play without any distractions, such as her cooking or the laundry day hassle. Now that's supporting!

lol. This thread is full of WIN!

Well, im a football nut. Met the Mrs. at high school where i was already player/coach of my my first XI...

But, as long as she gets her hour per night on the sims 3, im free to FM as much as I want :)

Archived