Real match preparations -where SI have missed a trick

Am loving the prospect of FM10, but something has been amiss from FM games which I feel at some point will need adressing. I imagine if you asked any manager in recent history, from Sour Alex though Cloughie and on to Revie, a key element of team preparation for the next match is the next-match specific training for the 2 days or so before a game. In FM there is no training related to the upcoming match. Examples would be shadowplay / walkthrough training against the next opponents formation, or relatively detailed study / guidance on how a players opposing "man" will play. At present we just assess, pick our tactics and away we go. We could set up the reserves or U18's to play the tactics of the next opposition and play against them with the 1st team maybe 3 days prior to the main match but fitting this in as an extra "match"/"fixture" (as it cannot be set as a training schedule only) would be a bit heavy on player fitness, and in some leagues, eg Eng Champ, L1 & L2) would be practically imposible to fit in. I dont know how this would be implemented but if it could be the next stage of realism would be achieved. I would suggest that in the FM shorterm such benefits would probably only be a morale boost but in time perhaps the whole player prepapartion training could be enhanced.

Good idea, but some users may find this too time consuming and complicated if they want to just jump straight into the game, and would only work if you could implement it in as a training session, as doing it as a match would see fitness decrease, and if its put in must be availabe for all teams.

It is not a bad idea, but for every player who wants to have daily control over training and the work done there, there are many more who dont want to get too involved so perhaps there could be an opt in/out option to change the training pre game. I do suspect that the largest % wouldnt be interested though.

It is not a bad idea, but for every player who wants to have daily control over training and the work done there, there are many more who dont want to get too involved so perhaps there could be an opt in/out option to change the training pre game. I do suspect that the largest % wouldnt be interested though.

FrazT, you underestimate how truely anal in playing FM the community can be ! LOL. Seriously though I am thinking now that 3 days before the match a news item asks "do you wish to train the first team on "club xyz" specifics?". The result of "yes" would maybe be a temporary enhancing of player Off the ball / Positioning stats (or something) at the expense of 2 days "other" set training schedules, or some noticable in-match slight advantage. Or the Ass Man reort in-match could annmounce "the players are showing "player abc" onto his weaker foot to lessen his effectiveness" - that sort of thing, and always turn-offable of course! It just seems a shame that one of the largest single factors in real life match preparation is totally overlooked in the game. Another reason why I insist on calling it a "game" rather than a "simulator". Maybe one for FM15 !

Archived