Domestic players.

How much do you pay attention to that? I'm wondering because my friend keeps calling me a freak for trying to build a domestic squad wherever I manage. As I usually manage teams from the Premier League, I at least try to have a spine of 3-4 British players in my first team, and obviously UK & Irish players are my preferred buys even though I have to overpay on occasion.

In my WBA save I've had no less than eight British players in my first team - Bale, Jagielka, Richards, Taylor, Barry, Cork, Fleck & Rooney with Rodwell, McCarthy and a few regens waiting on the bench :)

Depending on who I start with and where, I usually aim to have 80% of my players from my youth facilities within about 10 years...

The higher you start and the quicker you get to the top the easier this becomes...

So nationality in itself doesnt bother me to much,

I just prefer players that I have Nurtured. Though obviously if there are no players that are good enough Ill transfer one in... But otherwise ill typically save transfers for buying a star player or more youth.

I'm usually a foreign manager at my clubs (being Irish and not particularly interested in LoI) so it's always nice to bring the odd Irish lad throught the ranks to the senior team. Usually I try for at least half my first team squad to be native and then cherry pick the best of the rest.

I usually play with Liverpool in the premier league, and so i try to make it more domestic. I currently have Gerrard, Carra, Young, Wilshere and Lennon in my first team as well as Ramsey (even though he's welsh he's still homegrown). I also have a few promising english youngsters in my reserves and youth team.

I have no sentiment in this area. If you're competing in Europe you need a domestic (home-grown) contingent, but that's a legal, practical issue.

I'm currently preparing a tier-10 amateur Scottish league for FM10. The AI generates local youth regens and my scout will only find local boys, so I'll be pretty much fully domestic - again for practical, not sentimental, reasons.

Archived