Legends Icons Favoured Personnel Favourite Clubs

There is a big problem with these 3 labels (Legend, Icon, Favoured Personnel)

I played for 15 years with the same club and I haven't seen a player become legend or icon for my club, instead I managed to get legend status, but that is not enough for me.

Your players will eventually brake records for your club, and that should be rewarded, so this thing needs to be fixed.

I have some ideas about how this should be improved, feel free to express your own

-youngest player for Club X -> gets favoured personnel status at Club X , gets favourite club Club X, when he breaks the record a message should appear how he is overjoyed to be part of the history of Club X

-oldest player for Club X -> the same as above but different message when record is broken

-fans player of the year -> player already gets Club X as favourite (not 100 per cent accurate)-> fans player of the year won 3 times by the same player -> gets icon status for that player-> won 5 times by the same player -> gets legend status for that player

-goals scored for the club-> record surpassed -> legend status for the player

-appearances for the club-> record surpassed -> legend status for the player

-100 league caps for the player average 7+-> favourite person status

-200 league caps for the player average 7+-> icon status

-300 league caps for the player average 7+-> legend status

win CL - once - favourite personnel (I don't know what criteria should be used here, the average and the number of caps in CL would be the most efficient but this must be discussed further)

twice - icons

three times or more - legends

and that's it for now

let me hear your thoughts

To me that sounds very good and do able. The setting of parameters to enable the players to get icon, legend status sounds very good. But how do they go about this in the game now. I guess it would be something similar, otherwise a player you had for one season and then was sold could then become an icon etc. But yes this would be a good idea in order for a more realistic icon and legend base and would reflect the achievements and longevity and success of the players and manager. :)

this is not hard to implement, there are just some triggers and some scripts to write

some of the functions are just boolean

for example x,y,a variables legend is a constant

x=player

y=caps

a=average

if y>=300 and a>7 then x=legend (if player has 300 caps or more and his average in those 300+ caps is greater than 7 then he is a legend for that club)

Becoming an Icon / Cult Hero / Legend aren't so rigid in their reasons though, and calculating using a formula is ludicrous.

Yes, being a top scorer of all time should make you a hero, but players are also heroes for scoring a vital play-off winning promotion goal even if they're only with the club a short time.

Players should lose status's for joining a rival club / leaving on poor terms.

While I agree this area needs improvement I'm unsure of the criteria proposed i.e. is winning the CL is the only way to become a legend?! I think that would have to be looked at as well as the average ratings, players from the lower divisions aren't that consistant but there's no doubt they can at least become favoured personel

Becoming an Icon / Cult Hero / Legend aren't so rigid in their reasons though, and calculating using a formula is ludicrous.

Yes, being a top scorer of all time should make you a hero, but players are also heroes for scoring a vital play-off winning promotion goal even if they're only with the club a short time.

Totally agree

another idea : Champions League (or other club based cups : Europa League, European Super Cup, Club World Championship, Asian CL, Copa Libertadores, etc.) in the final it's 0-0 you go to penalties and your keeper saves some shots -> Goalkeeper becomes legend (example Helmuth Duckadam - Steaua Bucharest 1986 - 4 shots saved against Barcelona, currently world record)

While I agree this area needs improvement I'm unsure of the criteria proposed i.e. is winning the CL is the only way to become a legend?! I think that would have to be looked at as well as the average ratings, players from the lower divisions aren't that consistant but there's no doubt they can at least become favoured personel

those with champions league were at a continental level

I'm sure there are standards for national or regional level too

those for record of caps, goals, youngest/oldest at a club are for all clubs

I didn't spent time in lower leagues so that's why I said everybody feel free to add whatever you think is needed , anyway I saw someone mentioned Tevez

I think Tevez and Mascherano are kinda heroes for saving West Ham from relegation some seasons ago

and Roy Hodgson is a hero for saving Fulham from relegation, am I right? (okay Roy Hodgson is a manager, he doesn't count)

how do you give legend status to relegation battlers? criterias: goals/assists/goals saved?

Totally agree

another idea : Champions League (or other club based cups : Europa League, European Super Cup, Club World Championship, Asian CL, Copa Libertadores, etc.) in the final it's 0-0 you go to penalties and your keeper saves some shots -> Goalkeeper becomes legend (example Helmuth Duckadam - Steaua Bucharest 1986 - 4 shots saved against Barcelona, currently world record)

A appreciate what your saying but I dissagree. Who deserves to be a legend: someone who has been at the club for 15 years, won eight league titles, two european cups, and four domestic cubs. I.e they have been a great servant and helped the club being a great success. Or someone who has been there for a season or two and like you said had been the hero in a penalty shoot out or scored the winner in extra time in the final of the European Cup Final and will be remembered for that. Being a legend is not a one off amazing performance that has won something. A legend is about logevity and achieveing at that level for many many years, week in week out. And when in 40 years we look back we think he was a legend, and for me that is the first player I suggested and not the latter. :)

I'm not a Man Utd fan but who is more of a legend at Man Utd: Gary Neville or Cristiano Ronaldo, same applies to Giggs and Scholes.

My example above is not great.

it will be nice to implement what you said and also the most hated player by the fans will be something new ... this can appear when a player leaves his club for their arch rivals ... it will be more resembling with the real life

A appreciate what your saying but I dissagree. Who deserves to be a legend: someone who has been at the club for 15 years, won eight league titles, two european cups, and four domestic cubs. I.e they have been a great servant and helped the club being a great success. Or someone who has been there for a season or two and like you said had been the hero in a penalty shoot out or scored the winner in extra time in the final of the European Cup Final and will be remembered for that. Being a legend is not a one off amazing performance that has won something. A legend is about logevity and achieveing at that level for many many years, week in week out. And when in 40 years we look back we think he was a legend, and for me that is the first player I suggested and not the latter. :)

I'm not a Man Utd fan but who is more of a legend at Man Utd: Gary Neville or Cristiano Ronaldo, same applies to Giggs and Scholes.

My example above is not great.

of course I forgot to tell you Duckadam played more than one season for Steaua before he became a legend

of course legends should have more than 2 or 3 seasons, that means more than 80-120 appearances in the league

in my point of view for Man United

Gary Neville, Giggs, Scholes + Beckham = legends

Cristiano Ronaldo = icon

is that fair?

of course I forgot to tell you Duckadam played more than one season for Steaua before he became a legend

of course legends should have more than 2 or 3 seasons, that means more than 80-120 appearances in the league

in my point of view for Man United

Gary Neville, Giggs, Scholes + Beckham = legends

Cristiano Ronaldo = icon

is that fair?

Yeah thats a fair point, as there is a difference between an icon and legend so good point.

Not sure about the winning Champions League bit, Jesper Blomqvist won the Champions League with United, but he isnt a favoured personnel.

how many appearances did Blomqvist had in the CL 1999? I'm guessing he played little in CL so no favourite/icon/legend

Yeah thats a fair point, as there is a difference between an icon and legend so good point.

it's similar to the situation Raul versus Figo/Zidane/Beckham while Raul is a legend the others I will consider they are icons

from my point of view I'll add Roberto Carlos as legend too, he played 11 seasons for Real, playing a total of 584 matches and scoring 71 goals in all competitions

how many appearances did Blomqvist had in the CL 1999? I'm guessing he played little in CL so no favourite/icon/legend

He made seven appearances in the 98/99 champions league winning campaign. I don't know how may starts. In the following two years with Man Utd he made no subsequent appearances in the Champions League.

it's similar to the situation Raul versus Figo/Zidane/Beckham while Raul is a legend the others I will consider they are icons

from my point of view I'll add Roberto Carlos as legend too, he played 11 seasons for Real, playing a total of 584 matches and scoring 71 goals in all competitions

Yeah I agree. Casillas will surely become a legend. But then its hard to say how many legends can come from one era/team.

Yeah I agree. Casillas will surely become a legend. But then its hard to say how many legends can come from one era/team.

in my my game Casillas is not legend , he is just like at the start of the game an icon

though he retired at 39 and he has 717 appearances for Real Madrid

in 2-3 years he will be legend for Spain too, he will surpass Zubizareta's record of 125 caps for Spain

yes it's hard that's why I mentioned up above some criterias

goals/assists/caps/average/goals saved/man of the match not in that order necesarily

yes it's hard that's why I mentioned up above some criterias

goals/assists/caps/average/goals saved/man of the match not in that order necesarily

Yeah I see what you mean in terms of having set numbers to define whether a player is x or y. At the end of the day I guess it is subjective........

yes it's subjective you are right

Cantona for example played for Man Utd in 144 appearances and scored 68 goals and he is considered a legend

Andy Cole played 195 and scored 93, but you can't compare these two, I guess it's about class and reputation too

yes it's subjective you are right

Cantona for example played for Man Utd in 144 appearances and scored 68 goals and he is considered a legend

Andy Cole played 195 and scored 93, but you can't compare these two, I guess it's about class and reputation too

Yeah true - fans favourite. The players personality/behaviour has an influence.

It is completely subjective...

Eric Cantona never won a Champions League, and I think he was only at United for 5 seasons. Yet I'd expect him to be very high in the Icon/Legend chain.

Edit: I was playing catch-up, and whilst I only had post 22 up when I wrote this, seems someone else pointed it out too.

But not always. Two scenarios break this way of thinking.

1. Dennis Law - One date that is known to every United (and City) fan across the world (or should be) 27 April 1974.

2. Phil O'Donnell - Former Motherwell captain who died in action :( but in his first stint scored the "brave as a Lion" goal in the Greatest Ever Scottish Cup Final in 1991 but then left for Celtic a few years later before one of our most important games in our history

Despite leaving at the wrong time/doing something that would lose any normal player status - both will always remain legends despite what they did.

As a Derby County fan, these are the best examples that come to mind for this discussion.

Chris Powell played 99 league games for Derby, and gets a round of applause whenever he returns to Pride Park. He is currently with Leicester City (Arguably our #2 rival team), and I'd like to think he'd still get a round of applause on his return to Pride Park. Steve Howard and Matt Oakley also made this switch, and I have no gripes with either of them, and would hope they are welcomed back with affection, particularly Howard.

Dean Saunders played for Nott'm Forest (Definately our #1 rival team), I wouldn't hold this against him to much, 100% Derby County Icon.

Robin van der Laan played 65 league games for Derby, scoring 4 goals. One of which was the winner against Crystal Palace which won us promotion in '96, easily regarded as one of the most memorable moments of the last 20 years, and should comfortably assure him Club Icon status. Stephen Pearson scored the winner in the play-off final against West Brom, but I somehow don't get the same warm fuzzy feeling thinking about that goal than I do van der Laan's.

Paul Kitson played 106 league games, scoring 36 league goals, and he is as far removed from Icon status as Gerrard is to Man Utd fans. By contrast, I doubt Paul Peschisolido, Georgi Kinkladze & Aljoša Asanović had 100 league 'starts' between them, two used regularly as substitutes and one only with us for a season, but all feature in our favourites list.

The system is far too subjective too be any better implemented than it is now in FM09. It would be impossible to come up with an equation, as some bonds are formed in the heart, not because of stats.

new idea:) let's give total control to the player

Let's put to use the best eleven

as you many know best eleven is an option from history which shows the best 11 players (in a formation) from a certain year or from all years

attention this is only for long-term game players

at some interval(repeatable) in the game (3-5 years, just for approximation) the player is asked to select the club's icons and legends from the best eleven for all those years (must be discussed further number of players to be elected ...)

If the player leaves to other club after that he gets demoted, and if he transfers to a rival he loses his status

does this sound good to you?

my previous thought was that the computer compiled a list from the favoured personnel players and select from there, but defenders and goalkeepers are hard to get to favourite personnel for the club

so from favourite personnel advance to icon and then advance to legend

Archived