Anyone know if you can cancel subs in FM10?

Something that has bugged me for a while.

You make a sub, and confirm it. All fine and dandy.

However, while the screen shows "making tactical changes", the next break of play for the sub to actually take place is when a goal is scored.

Frustrating as hell, as sometimes I make an attacking sub, but score before the sub takes place. Other times, I make a defensive sub and concede before the sub takes place.

Is there a way (or will there be one in FM10) for a chance to change/cancel a sub if a goal is scored before the sub comes on? You see it a lot IRL, a player stripped and ready to come on is pulled back by the manager because a game changing goal or red car happened before he could come on.

i thought it was any break in play but throw ins never seem to count on mine. everything else does

i dont like how you cant go back into tactics until the sub is made, if its 10 minutes, u mite want to change tactics but cant cos the bloody sub!

Sometimes you have to wait 15 blooming minutes and 8 set pieces for subs to take effect with tactics screen locked in the mean time. By the time the game engine is bothered to take notice of your cancel sub instruction that game would probably be over

You can't cancel a sub IRL, so you shouldn't be able to in FM either. When you press "accept", it's the equivalent of signalling the ref that you have a sub to make (not the equivalent of having a guy warm up). What FM needs to do better, is the time it takes for your subs to come into play, which I think is more of an ME issue.

I often make a sub during a key highlight because I see something happening I don't like, forcing a planned sub a little earlier. However, the ME often ignores my sub, as it doesn't go through the next time the clock stops (ie. for corners, goal kicks, free kicks etc.) but does it the next time after that. I think it's because as far as the ME is concerned, the actual time is ahead of what we see. I hope that's something they'll fix for FM10, although I'm not sure they will.

I think it's a little more complex than that. I know that SI have acknowledged that subs aren't sometimes done quick enough though.

Looking at what they've said about the new match engine, I'd guess (although I'm probably wrong!) that the ME is going to be more 'on-the-fly' than previous versions. The reason for being unable to change tactics between asking for a sub and it happening is that once the change is enacted, the ME recalculates exactly how the remainder of the game will pan out (including the opposition AI response to the match situation).

In real life, the substition isn't confirmed until the 3rd official is handed the piece of paper with the substition on, which happens just before he holds up the board. Until that point the substitution can be cancelled, so managers can react to changes in the game situation. Under the current method, once committed to the sub it only happens at the next sufficient 'break in play' (and don't ask me how it works that out, as I mentioned above it seems rather complex), so there is opportunity for the match situation to change.

If the manager shouts, etc are to work properly, I think that the ME calculations will have to be a bit more fluid than currently, as I do not want the game pausing for a couple of seconds every time I want to do a 'shout'. This should improve the sub situation and make the whole thing a bit more user friendly. Here's hoping at least.

I think it's a little more complex than that. I know that SI have acknowledged that subs aren't sometimes done quick enough though.

Looking at what they've said about the new match engine, I'd guess (although I'm probably wrong!) that the ME is going to be more 'on-the-fly' than previous versions. The reason for being unable to change tactics between asking for a sub and it happening is that once the change is enacted, the ME recalculates exactly how the remainder of the game will pan out (including the opposition AI response to the match situation).

In real life, the substition isn't confirmed until the 3rd official is handed the piece of paper with the substition on, which happens just before he holds up the board. Until that point the substitution can be cancelled, so managers can react to changes in the game situation. Under the current method, once committed to the sub it only happens at the next sufficient 'break in play' (and don't ask me how it works that out, as I mentioned above it seems rather complex), so there is opportunity for the match situation to change.

If the manager shouts, etc are to work properly, I think that the ME calculations will have to be a bit more fluid than currently, as I do not want the game pausing for a couple of seconds every time I want to do a 'shout'. This should improve the sub situation and make the whole thing a bit more user friendly. Here's hoping at least.

I have no issue with the speed of a substitution what so ever. You have to wait for a break in play which I accept.

What I want to be able to do is if I make a tactical substitution and then I either score or concede (which happens to me a lot) I want to be able to cancel it.

You can't cancel a sub IRL, so you shouldn't be able to in FM either. When you press "accept", it's the equivalent of signalling the ref that you have a sub to make (not the equivalent of having a guy warm up). What FM needs to do better, is the time it takes for your subs to come into play, which I think is more of an ME issue.

I often make a sub during a key highlight because I see something happening I don't like, forcing a planned sub a little earlier. However, the ME often ignores my sub, as it doesn't go through the next time the clock stops (ie. for corners, goal kicks, free kicks etc.) but does it the next time after that. I think it's because as far as the ME is concerned, the actual time is ahead of what we see. I hope that's something they'll fix for FM10, although I'm not sure they will.

Until a sub crosses the line and walks onto the pitch, you can cancel a sub/sub him with another person.

I have no issue with the speed of a substitution what so ever. You have to wait for a break in play which I accept.

What I want to be able to do is if I make a tactical substitution and then I either score or concede (which happens to me a lot) I want to be able to cancel it.

Fair enough. To be honest, I do have a problem with it. I personally preferred the old method of clicking that you wanted to go to the tactics screen and then waiting until a suitable break in play. At least then when making changes you were fully aware of the in-game situation.

I agree though. Given that I can't see a return to the old system, the minimum that needs to be introduced is the ability to change/remove tactical changes after you have made them.

Fair enough. To be honest, I do have a problem with it. I personally preferred the old method of clicking that you wanted to go to the tactics screen and then waiting until a suitable break in play. At least then when making changes you were fully aware of the in-game situation.

I agree though. Given that I can't see a return to the old system, the minimum that needs to be introduced is the ability to change/remove tactical changes after you have made them.

I preferred the old system too. I also preferred having the two speed sliders.

Just to clear one thing up in the 09 game- at the moment a sub doesnt take place when there is a break in play, it takes place when the highlight that the game is showing is finished. There can be throw ins and goal kicks in that highlight but untill the highlight is finished, the sub has to wait.

You can't cancel a sub IRL, so you shouldn't be able to in FM either.

Yes you can, it happens often. The first example I thought of was in this video:

7:30

As you can see, the fourth official holds up Hobbs' number, but Gerrard comes off. You can't really confuse the 8 with the 46...

I agree that this should be implemented if it hasn't already. The main reason isn't because of a badly playing player scoring a goal, but often I find myself making my last sub and then watching a player get injured very badly, although apparently not badly enough to come off... and yet I can't change who gets subbed and, much later, the substitution would be made while I watch with my jaw dropped and shoulders sagging. I can't even tell him to come off the pitch and rest if we're well ahead! That bugged me a lot as the player would turn out to be injured for months and I would end up wondering why in the world I couldn't remove the player from the pitch to stop his injury worsening, which it probably did significantly as time went by in the match. :(

I agree that this should be implemented if it hasn't already. The main reason isn't because of a badly playing player scoring a goal, but often I find myself making my last sub and then watching a player get injured very badly, although apparently not badly enough to come off... and yet I can't change who gets subbed and, much later, the substitution would be made while I watch with my jaw dropped and shoulders sagging. I can't even tell him to come off the pitch and rest if we're well ahead! That bugged me a lot as the player would turn out to be injured for months and I would end up wondering why in the world I couldn't remove the player from the pitch to stop his injury worsening, which it probably did significantly as time went by in the match. :(

"The main reason isn't because of a badly playing player scoring a goal, but often I find myself making my last sub and then watching a player get injured very badly, although apparently not badly enough to come off"

Good point.

• 11 months later...

Just been searching for whether this issue is being resolved in FM11, but just thought I'd add a correction to a couple of posts above. Yes you absolutely can cancel a pending sub in real life. Absolutely can. The Laws of the Game outline the sub procedure on both pages 16 & 59 and there is no "contract". The player coming off must leave the field of play first and then the sub comes on - "from that moment, the substitute becomes a player and the player he has replaced becomes a substituted player". Until then, you can change your mind.

Also, you will sometimes see a ref lose patience with a team being slow in getting their sub ready and restart play without allowing the substitution to complete - if the team still want to make the sub, they must wait until the next break in play. This is detailed in page 59 of the Laws. Also included on page 59 of the laws of the game is a statement that says if the player being subbed refuses to leave the field of play, then play continues without the sub being made. In other words, it's not only the manager who has the ability to cancel a pending sub!

There is no such as a sub request that cannot be cancelled. You can change or cancel any part of the sub until the sub enters the field of play.

And unlike FM08/09/10 you're not locked into that substitution 5-10 minutes in advance.

PS Page numbers refer to editon 2009/10 of the LotG.

Archived