The text commentary - due an overhaul

I'm sure there's still plenty of people who play at least some matches on text only. Thing is, it doesn't seem to have changed for years. Could swear there's some lines that have been there since CM93...

If you keep an eye on it when you have the match playing, there's some stuff that just doesn't make sense compared to what's unfolding in the 3D version. For example, it'll describe the winger playing a cross into the box, when it actually hit the first man. Just saw one where my centre half played 'a 35 yard pass ahead of <forward>' - well, he might have tried that, but it actually hit an opponent standing two yards away who ran through and scored.

Long and short of it is, it no longer bears any significant resemblance to what's going on within the match engine. Is there any word on it being overhauled? Anyone else like to see it reworked?

Yeah thats a good point! I havent thought too much about the text commentary, but I use it all the time! With the 3-d engine last year and all the tweaks to it, it seems that the text commentary has been ignored! It does seem outdated in terms of the vocabulary, and I would like it to be 'spiced up a bit'. :)

I think it has been left as it is of more sentimental reasons.. But perhaps it is time to update the text messages.. :) - IMO it should be optional.. I dont use it anymore anyway so I'd like an option to remove it..

I think it has been left as it is of more sentimental reasons.. But perhaps it is time to update the text messages.. :) - IMO it should be optional.. I dont use it anymore anyway so I'd like an option to remove it..

Don't tell me you don't enjoy seeing "GOAL FOR XYZ!! *FLASH*FLASH*FLASH*"

Isn't there a text file which contains all of the commentary lines?

I'm sure in FM06 I downloaded a community update which had *thousands* of new lines in, some were absolutely outrageous.

"TEAM-X are probing like a nurse in an STD clinic!"

"PLAYER-Y scores a magical goal! He's pretending to machine gun his team-mates!"

Anyway, my point is, does the text file still exist? If so, I'm sure a few of us could cobble together a few hundred new lines. This is something I would happily take on as a bit of a side project.

Text commentary loyal here. Most of the time I just can't be arsed with 2d or 3d, I do watch some games in 3d, key moments only and usually only in very big games my team plays. Text is the best option for me, because it allows me to progress through the season the quickest.

Actually, the text commentary has made quite a few steps backwards imho.

In earlier CMs you always had an idea of what was going on by reading the text, but now the text hardly relates to what you see in the 3D...

It might be that the text commentary have been a bit neglected, but the 3d engine is so much funnier to watch. Only thing I've found that they probably will fix sooner or later, was that I had a player taping the ball a meter above the line to avoid a goal against me and the comentary said that he cleared it up on row z....

dont know if this is a major issue or just seems to be happening for me. ill be watching the game and ill see things like

Gerrard picks up the ball

gerrard passes to veloso

velso finds torres

torres takes the ball into the box

torres is clean through

torress knocks it out wide to babel

babel plays it back to carragher

also ive seen,

SURLEY TORRES MUST SCORE!!

torress passes it back to carragher..

lol it just doesnt add up.

I wouldn't say no to this, as I only really use text commentary. I only rarely use the 3D view for cup finals, league deciders, sometimes when I make a new signing, first game of the season etc. The rest of the time it's text for me, takes too long to get through a season otherwise.

Isn't there a text file which contains all of the commentary lines?

I'm sure in FM06 I downloaded a community update which had *thousands* of new lines in, some were absolutely outrageous.

"TEAM-X are probing like a nurse in an STD clinic!"

"PLAYER-Y scores a magical goal! He's pretending to machine gun his team-mates!"

Anyway, my point is, does the text file still exist? If so, I'm sure a few of us could cobble together a few hundred new lines. This is something I would happily take on as a bit of a side project.

That sounds a great idea, I'd be happy to help. :)

But how would it work, i.e. what would stop the commentary saying what a delightful passing move, when in fact the goal was actually a 40 yard screamer? I guess it would be something to so with the coding.

That sounds a great idea, I'd be happy to help. :)

But how would it work, i.e. what would stop the commentary saying what a delightful passing move, when in fact the goal was actually a 40 yard screamer? I guess it would be something to so with the coding.

As far as I remember it was a file which opened in notepad but had #marks denoting various "events" in the game. The game then just points to the right # or chooses any 1 of a number of alternatives under that #.

Probably isn't much point doing a lot on FM09 (other than testing) but the file which FM10 will use should come packaged with the demo next week so it would be a nice little 2 week project to have ready for when FM10 is launched!

Agree. I usually play with just commentary and by now I can tell when there is going to be a goal:

Fast comment

Fast comment

Fast comment

Fast comment...

...pause...

Goal!!!

Also I see random things like my forward Jones, with no play whatsoever...it'll only say all of a sudden "Jones!!!", then nothing happens.

Would be good if someone pdated the lines, but think the point is that the engine driving it now appears to bee pretty flawed, since it doesn't bear much relation to what you can now SEE is happening.

Definately think it could do with a re-jig just for those times you want to rattle through matches.

I totally love it as it is. So much that when I'm watching a real match with friends we will use the old classics from fm to describe the action. I especially love, "but he put it into orbit!" and the fantastic line, "have won the !!!". Much hilarity.

If you're using Vista/W7, look in [drive]:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\cache\english

I think XP would have it in [drive]:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\cache\english

Actually, the text commentary has made quite a few steps backwards imho.

In earlier CMs you always had an idea of what was going on by reading the text, but now the text hardly relates to what you see in the 3D...

surely it's not as necessary the more visual aids you have though?

however I do agree that it needs a serious overhaul, there are incorrect lines where the names are the wrong way round that have existed for several versions. The "Cleared into row Z" line is also extremely inaccurate as 90% of the time it's used as the ball trickles over the byline.

Archived