How good can football manager 2009/10 run on a low end laptop?

My bro needs a new laptop but his budget is a mere £300-350 but he needs this game to be able to run to decently. Before you start flaming me I have looked at the sticky but they are so vague its stupid (after all a 2GHz i486 wouldn't be able to run this) and it doesnt mention the 3D settings.

The machines I have looked at so far have 3GB Ram and low end processors like the intel celeron c900 or Sempron Processor SI-42 2.1GHz and integrated graphics.

How well can he expect the game to run with or without the 3D graphics and at the different sized databases?

Here is an example of what I found:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1272681692.1254999646@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdadeihlldlgicflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=026406&category_oid=-36730

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/554480/COMPAQ-CQ60-405SA/tab/specification

Some reckon these are close to netbook standards but most topics about netbooks talk about resolution rather than performance.

This isn't a discussion about which laptop to buy, just a discussion on what I can expect since I am not familiar with the low end processors.

I ran into the same issue you are having and I decided to refer to my own expertise. I am currently running this on a netbook and having quite satisfactory results. I run it in a windowed mode and I am unable to access a very small portion of the comments you can choose when involved in interactions or I sometimes cannot see all of the training results in the team screen but can in the individual screen. These are very minor issues that simply exist because of the size of the screen used. Nothing can be done about that if I wish to continue to use this game on this machine. As far as processing power, it runs just fine. The Atom processor is actually more robust than a Celeron and can actually be thought of as a stripped-down Pentium (bring it flamers, I know what I am talking about...). The processor is a 1.6 gHz and I also have 1 gb of RAM. I am running XP and do not use this machine for too much else and I am pleased with it. I have more robust machines at home but the only benefit I would have seen from them is that I could play it in full screen. I currently use the 2D match settings, so I see no lag there. In 3D, as long as I ran the graphics w/o the extras I saw the action just fine. This is with a 128 mb on-board video card that shares the memory.

To anyone who doesn't think this machine will work...try me...

Just to add one point to the above poster, Miles conforms that FM10 won't require extra processing power or memory than FM09.

He also says the game should use your specs more effectively aswell, meaning a low end computer may not have to work so hard to run FM.

Hello the Sean,

I have a question for you. I have a brand new netbook and I can't run the game on it. When I double click on the fm09.exe, nothing happens but when I double click again, I have an error message telling me that FM is already running. However, when I check in my task manager, there is no fm application running.

To make it work on your netbook, did you change something in your laptop configuration: resolution, accessibility etc. I checked the minimal configuration of the game and my netbook is more performant so it should work. It might be a stupid question but I have to admit that I do not know much about it. Thanks a lot for your answer!

• 7 months later...

Archived