An Idea I would Love To See

I have played CM then FM for the past 10-11 years or so.

I absolutely love the game, I think its complete genius and I will always buy every edition on release day with masses of excitement.

One area which has always been grey in my eyes however, is when playing a game, the 'latest scores' let FM down bigtime.

Currently (in my experience) I click on latest scores and they havent yet kicked off, despite the kick off times being the same as my game. So when I am 30mins into a game, so should they.

This area could actually make FM even closer to being real life like. If they could get the games to start on time in the latest scores screen and keep in sync with the users game, it would be fantastic.

The idea I would love to see, would be some sort of Vidiprinter, or a scroll across the bottom of your match screen that instantly updates you to live goals, sendings off etc. So its a bit like Sky Sports Extra on Champions League night. where you get informed of each and every goal scored.

At half time when doing your tactics or team talk, there could again be a scroller at the bottom informing of half time scores, and again at full time.

This would make the FM user much more in touch with the league itself rather than just his/her own team. Quite often when a title challenge comes down to the last day of the season, I want to know how the rival team is doing - and 99 percent of the time, it will just continuously tell me that the game hasnt kicked off, despite it being 1 minute till the final whistle.

I always go to look each year to see if this feature has been added/improved .... but as of yet, no

Fingers crossed for FM10!

Its your computer that stops latest scores from being upto date, and still at kickoff. My old PC would show maybe one or two latest scores. Then I bought a new PC, much better spec, and all the games are latest scores rather than kick off.

How could it be the spec of a computer that determines whether the scores are up to date or not? Thats no fair

I don't know for sure but I would assume that it takes processing power to calculate the latest scores. If your "live" match is taking up all the power then there is no spare capacity to calculate the latest scores of other matches.

I don't know for sure but I would assume that it takes processing power to calculate the latest scores. If your "live" match is taking up all the power then there is no spare capacity to calculate the latest scores of other matches.

This, basically. The other matches in your league get processed in the background (starting while you are picking your team and tactics etc). If it has finished processing a game, you'll get live score updates for it, if it hasn't you won't. Obviously the more powerful your PC, the faster it processes the other games, so the more likely you are to have the live scores available. For those that are moaning, the alternative is to have a long pause before each match so that the other games can be processed in full, which is a long way from ideal.

I have 3Gb of ram, so its hardly made of wood. Its not my fault FM is required to run on a Laptop with at least 4Gb of Ram and also requires you to make sure you're not running anything else in the background is it to get the 3D match engine working fully

And THERE IS NOT A LIVE GOAL UPDATE FEED/VIDIPRINTER that I suggested above so I wish people would stop saying it is a feature already in place.

I have 3Gb of ram, so its hardly made of wood. Its not my fault FM is required to run on a Laptop with at least 4Gb of Ram and also requires you to make sure you're not running anything else in the background is it to get the 3D match engine working fully

And THERE IS NOT A LIVE GOAL UPDATE FEED/VIDIPRINTER that I suggested above so I wish people would stop saying it is a feature already in place.

I thought there was one, and I have only 2Gb of RAM, and it works for me...

There is in the TV view, which you can set up for 2D, have you tried that?

It's not your RAM that does the processing.

Well my laptop did cost nearly £500 2 years ago you would think that it would suffice for a game that is mostly based around text and menus.

The key words being "2 years ago."

Also, have you tried the above suggestions?

The 2D TV View still runs quite sluggish compared to the original view. Its just one of those sacrifices that I have had to make to play this excellent game. I would have hoped that live scores would have been easy to implement though

I seem to remember you can have a split view, with one showing the match, and the other showing a bunch of things, one of which was latest scores.

Edit: I just checked. There is and it works.

Dude... if your laptop cannot currently handle a simple live goal update feature, how do you expect it handle a more advanced vidiprinter?

They may incorporate a vidiprinter into a new game but you still won't be able to use it...

Unless you increase your processing power of course. :cool:

I'm with the OP... this feature does need improving. I wish people would actually read what is posted, rather than just the first sentence before ejaculating vitriol all over the boards.

I've got a brand new laptop with 3GB of RAM, dual core processor etc. and it doesn't seem to operate the latest scores feature properly, often showing games as yet to kick off despite playing at the same time as my own game. I like the idea of scores scrolling across the bottom, hey why not go the whole hog and get Jeff Stelling to read out all the latest scores?!

Agree with the OP - as long as it doesnt slow the match action down too much. In 3d I have the League table widget open but it often is "wrong", not updating in real time. Be nice if it centred on the Team (MIne!) involved too, if I am fighting relegation each update chucks me back up to the top four about whom, frankly my dear, I dont give a damn.

Well my laptop did cost nearly £500 2 years ago you would think that it would suffice for a game that is mostly based around text and menus.

Firstly, laptops never have the processing power of a desktop. You've sacrificed speed for mobility. Don't expect it to be fast. As a result, you don't get all the bonuses of nice fast background processing on matchdays.

Secondly, £500 isn't going to buy you top of the range specs anyway. Perhaps with a desktop (home-built with recycled parts like the keyboard, mouse, screen and case already being there waiting for you) but certainly not a laptop.

Thirdly, a two year old machine's price at the time is irrelevant. If it's Intel, is it a core 2 processor? If not, you are also using older architecture, or architecture made for mobility, low power consumption and low heat, not for speed.

Fourthly, how does the fact it's mostly menus and text change anything? I dare say the most powerful machines on earth right now are dealing with text, numbers and either menus, or even command line inputs. Just because it isn't pretty, flashy and graphical doesn't mean there isn't a huge amount of calculations being done in the background.

So, finally, SI have three choices:

1) Leave it how it is. Useful for those who can use it, not so useful for people with slower machines,

2) Force you to wait on a "loading other results" screen before launching your game if your pc isn't fast enough, or

3) Lower the number of calculations used, lessening the accuracy of results predicted, making the game less realistic, and basically taking a few leaps backwards just to accommodate a slower machine.

You also have three choices:

1) put up with it

2) get a better machine, or

3) go play an older version which will run better on your older hardware, or skip the game altogether.

That said, in-game score updates in classic mode would be nice for those of us who's machines could handle it, but prefer classic mode's look.

Archived