Discussion: Team Talks and How Much Effect They Have

I decided to post this as it's been on my mind alot.

Do you feel team talks play too big of a role to your team winning?

You get alot of posts now adays with people complaining and stuff about why their team isn't winning some matches and the 2 answers that come up most are Tactics and Team talks. But it seems as if Team Talks are the bigger of the systems when it comes to winning.

Team talks as I see it is to motivate the players, but it seems more as if the team talk system works to tell the players they have to play good.

If you work in a factory, you're expected to work hard and do your best so you can get that paycheque at the end of the week/2 weeks.

But in FM, you have to tell your players they have to play good or their best or else they'll just laze about all match until half time, then you have to give another motivational speech to bring them to life even if they have superb morale and fitness. What you say is the vital factor of winning and losing.

Just something to think/talk about.

I decided to post this as it's been on my mind alot.

Do you feel team talks play too big of a role to your team winning?

You get alot of posts now adays with people complaining and stuff about why their team isn't winning some matches and the 2 answers that come up most are Tactics and Team talks. But it seems as if Team Talks are the bigger of the systems when it comes to winning.

Team talks as I see it is to motivate the players, but it seems more as if the team talk system works to tell the players they have to play good.

If you work in a factory, you're expected to work hard and do your best so you can get that paycheque at the end of the week/2 weeks.

But in FM, you have to tell your players they have to play good or their best or else they'll just laze about all match until half time, then you have to give another motivational speech to bring them to life even if they have superb morale and fitness. What you say is the vital factor of winning and losing.

Just something to think/talk about.

Personally, and I dont have the experience of most of the guys on the forum..I believe the team talk is effectively warped.

You cant pressure your players, you cant yell at them as it upsets them, for the fans can only be used on certain games..which leaves NONE and good luck & no pressure..Yeah, thats going to stir my passion!!! The team talk is too far warped towards upsetting your players than motivating them.

What Iam trying to get at is....why would a coach say he is pleased with a performance of 5 when the last game the player received an 8?? A real life coach would rip the player a new one, yell & scream and force the player to look long and hard at his performance and make him relise that one player on the team can win or lose a game.

Yes being yelled at or being told that your disappointed in their performance can be a bummer, and here comes a big hairy butt... but they are "Professional sportmen" thats their job, along with competitive nature, determination & drive a good talking too would lift a player to play his best. This doesnt happen in fm08...they stick their bottom lip out and sulk.

I dont like to tell my players Iam pleased with a performance of 5 or 6, when I know they can play at 8-9...Iam not coaching 10 year olds, Iam coaching professionals earning HUGE money to play at their best. So team talks should reflect this.

I would love to see an option where you can discuss recent performance with a player privately in your office. Not at half time or full time or make a comment in the paper.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>Discuss poor performance and tell player you know they can play better.

Discuss poor performance and if there is no improvement you will be forced to replace him.

Praise player for improved performance.

Praise player for outstanding performance.

I've never told a player with a five I was pleased. If it's a home match I tell'em I'm angry, if it's away then I'm disappointed. Can't recall any of them ever sulking. The mood might drop from superb to good, but I don't expect players to be happy after a crappy game.

I agree that player/manager relationships need to be worked on. Of course, board/manager and fans/manager relationships could use some work too.

On to the main point though, I agree that team talks have to much effect on performance. When I want to try out new tactics, I always wonder if the team is doing badly because I incorrectly wished them luck when I should have told them they could win the game, or if the tactics just stink.

They dont matter as much as people make out IMO. I don't know if I just get it right but I've never followed that guide and get on fine. Morale has too much effect IMO.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:

They dont matter as much as people make out IMO. I don't know if I just get it right but I've never followed that guide and get on fine. Morale has too much effect IMO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHS

Pre-match I usually go for 'for the fans' if it's a home game, 'good luck' for away. Post-match is pretty self explanatory, although if we're on a bad run I'll tend to use 'sympathise' or 'good effort' (as long as it was a good effort) rather than 'disappointed' or 'angry'.

Half-time is the kicker though. I actually dread racing into a 3, 4 or 5 goal lead because I know full well I'll be lucky to take a point from the game no matter what I say to them. 'Pleased' or 'delighted' seem to make them complacent and 'don't get complacent' is like telling them to bend over.

The way the game handles these things is all wrong. In real life, when one team hammers another in the first half the trailing team will sometimes mount an incredible comeback. Far more likely though, is that the winning team will either take their foot off the gas and maybe concede a consolation goal or two, or they'll complete the rout. FM2008 makes the incredible comeback the norm, and that's just all wrong.

Archived