The special thing you get when activate through steam.

As far as I know, you can buy a boxed copy of the game whenever you prefer (i.e.: the cheapest possible place), and then, instead of installing the game from that disc, you just input the CD-key into Steam and add it to your games. From that very moment, you can download the game off Steam and play it as if you had bought it there as usual, with all the achievements and stuff.

This is what I'll do.

As far as I know, you can buy a boxed copy of the game whenever you prefer (i.e.: the cheapest possible place), and then, instead of installing the game from that disc, you just input the CD-key into Steam and add it to your games. From that very moment, you can download the game off Steam and play it as if you had bought it there as usual, with all the achievements and stuff.

This is what I'll do.

I'm not sure this is quite right...... I thought you installed the game off the DVD, then used Steam to activate it. No downloading required, although after this you won't need to have the DVD in the drive when playing the game.

Happy for someone to correct me if I'm wrong.

bought it from steem (pre order obviously :) ) as an early xmas prezzie from the missus and got a free game that i could download there and then :) out run coast 2 coast. makes me feel old as i used to play the origanal :(

If I remember rightly, on release day for FM09, Steam was sluggishly slow, in the way and infact - slowed my whole laptop right down which made FM09 unplayable.

I uninstalled steam and FM, and re-installed and registered the game without using steam.

Have steam taken steps to improve since then? Because I have absolutely no temptation at all to use steam this year

just to be clear here, you dont need to purchase the game from steam to get these bonus things, just simply buying the DVD and activating through steam is enough, which is of course what i will be doing. tend to get most of my games through steam though so its no big deal for me.

Zavvi is a shop that literally does not exist anymore, the website has been taken over by thehut.com which is a notoriously bad website when it comes to deliveries, all I'll say is that there's a reason it's so cheap.

Ya I would never order from a website that I do not trust. every game I have ordered from Steam has been safe, very fast download, no issues loading or playing the game, and never have to worry about patching.

Steam is worth every penny extra imho.

Zavvi is a shop that literally does not exist anymore, the website has been taken over by thehut.com which is a notoriously bad website when it comes to deliveries, all I'll say is that there's a reason it's so cheap.

Bought from the Hut last year for £22.00, and got it on the day of release. Not a bad thing to say about them.

If I remember rightly, on release day for FM09, Steam was sluggishly slow, in the way and infact - slowed my whole laptop right down which made FM09 unplayable.

I uninstalled steam and FM, and re-installed and registered the game without using steam.

Have steam taken steps to improve since then? Because I have absolutely no temptation at all to use steam this year

Steam doesnt "run slow"...

been using it since 2003 and ive got 50 odd games from the thing.

I was under the impression you don't need to activate the game this year?

I thought they'd gone back to the old method of having to keep the disc in the drive.

You have the option of either keeping the disc in the drive, OR activating through Steam.

I was under the impression you don't need to activate the game this year?

I thought they'd gone back to the old method of having to keep the disc in the drive.

You have the option of either keeping the disc in the drive, OR activating through Steam.

Although, SI would prefer you activated through Steam clearly. Hence the "achievements" you can only get through Steam plus auto patching. I'll be using Steam to activate as ive never had a ny problems with it.

Never heard about this untill now, Ill be just using the disk to install FM10 like i did with FM09. I don't want to have to install Steam on my computer to play my game. So if we choose to buy the boxed version and play with the disk in, We miss out on some extra features ...? That does not sound right fair considering i will have paid for the same game.

Anyways im still not going to install steam so ill just have to live without these "extra achievements"

Im happy enough with the Boxed version as always. :)

I'm not sure this is quite right...... I thought you installed the game off the DVD, then used Steam to activate it. No downloading required, although after this you won't need to have the DVD in the drive when playing the game.

Happy for someone to correct me if I'm wrong.

I would be surprised if that's the case. I mean, with ANY boxed game you buy, if it's included in Steam, you can just enter the game's code into Steam and download it from there. I've been doing this for years.

On the other hand, how would it be possible to install the game from the DVD and then activate it through Steam? How would Steam 'know' that you have a legit copy of the game installed in your PC? I think it needs to be downloaded from Steam to be recognized as part of it.

For me, Steam has all the advantages in the world but one - the expensive price. So I always buy games in the cheapest possible place, then add them to Steam.

However it's be great if somebody from SI can tell us if this is right :)

This doesn't concern me since I will play the game off the disk, avoid Steam and I don't play online, but has anyone considered this:

Will unlocking 'achievements' give an unfair advantage to online players who activate through Steam against players who don't?

My guess is that achievements won't have any effect in the in-game experience. They'll just be added to your Steam profile so that you can brag about them with your friends :) But I don't think they'll change anything inside FM, so they won't give any kind of advantage or anything.

I would be surprised if that's the case. I mean, with ANY boxed game you buy, if it's included in Steam, you can just enter the game's code into Steam and download it from there. I've been doing this for years.

On the other hand, how would it be possible to install the game from the DVD and then activate it through Steam? How would Steam 'know' that you have a legit copy of the game installed in your PC? I think it needs to be downloaded from Steam to be recognized as part of it.

For me, Steam has all the advantages in the world but one - the expensive price. So I always buy games in the cheapest possible place, then add them to Steam.

However it's be great if somebody from SI can tell us if this is right :)

OK, I know it isn't authoritative but this is from the DRM thread:

Originally Posted by Peregrine

How will this process of activation via Steam work? Will FM10 have a way of connecting with Steam if I put the DVD in the drive and keep Steam open, or will I have to input a code manually into Steam from the back of the instruction manual/case? If the latter, how/where would I have to do that? I first bought FM09 this past April so I have no experience of last year's activation process.

Reply from Matt-Sega:

I don't remember how I did it but I added it to an existing Steam account last year. I think you have to simply add the code from the back of the manual as you suggest.

You still get access to the skin and the achievements if you activate a boxed version of FM10 on Steam. So you can buy from Zavvi, then activate on Steam. Best of both worlds.

Even though I am not really a fan of steam I will be using it this year to activate.

I believe Miles was going to detail the achievements in a blog.

I believe that achievements are going to be the subject of todays blog.

There is a reason why the boxed game can't have achievements. It is because steam provides the achievements. Its like saying why can't I get xbox 360 achievements on the same game on a ps3? Steam monitors your game and keeps tabs on whether your getting achievements or not, like it does to various other games such as left for dead. They are not pushing people to use steam by making the achievements only available on steam, its just that without steam, there can be no achievements system without designing an entirely new one themselves, which, considering nearly everyone has access to the internet, and most people use steam, would be a pointless exercise.

the achievements will not affect or be in the game at all

they will pop up on steam, they will ONLY be steam achievements and will only be viewed in steam (I'm pretty sure).

Don't lose any sleep over not having them.

the achievements will not affect or be in the game at all

they will pop up on steam, they will ONLY be steam achievements and will only be viewed in steam (I'm pretty sure).

Don't lose any sleep over not having them.

I for one am not. Looks like a stupid gimmick to me. All the more reason NOT to activate with Steam!

achievements will be shown in a small window in the right corner

the reason that its only steam only feature because of the steamworks API witch makes them easy and fast to implement , to be able to make them to normal version SI would need to make its own API ,

witch would take a lot more time than using an already existing one ( not to mention steal time that could be used for other coding tasks)

I for one am not. Looks like a stupid gimmick to me. All the more reason NOT to activate with Steam!

yeah sure that gimmick would ruin your game :rolleyes: , people are so retrograded sometimes

to who doesn't know what achievement's are and what to expect here is an example ;):

http://steamcommunity.com/id/scorpio/stats/DOD:S?tab=achievements

when you activate through steam you get a free skin that you only get through steam.. you also get achievments, theres 70 of them, but it dosent say what you have to do, some are self-explanitory, but others will take some thinking out... the list is below. courtesy of the blog by miles :

Achievements list

He’s signed!

Clean sheet

Hat-trick

What a goal!

Top of the class

You’re up!

Cup glory!

Champions!

Double hat-track

Team performance

International superstar

Park the bus

Comeback king!

Star man

Goal machine

Unstoppable force

Iron curtain

Scoring streak

Unbeatable!

Parked the tank

National service

The boss

Superb strike

Best in Europe

Loyalty card

Qualified

Cup streak

Golden boot

Best in the world

Super cup glory

Champions streak

All around the world

You’re on fire

Do the double

Domination

Part of the furniture

Trophy hoarder

Best in the business

Freedom of the country

On top of the world

Legend

Invincible!

First victory

Confederations winner

Highlight reel

Splashing the cash

Value for money

Club legend

Cash to burn

Well travelled

Continental king

The greatest

World renowned

The professor

English hero

Scottish hero

French hero

Italian hero

Spanish hero

Brazilian hero

So that’s a lot of achievements to get your teeth stuck into then! Will anyone get them all? Without cheating?

:D

Archived