Arsenal going to ruin Premier League again?

I don't really think the players are over-rated on FM (Let's face it - the squad is full of talent and quality, just lacking experience and last season they were hampered by injuries), but Wenger is a bloody genious on FM. The 4-4-2 the computer usually fields is far more brilliant than anything a user could possibly create in my opinion. Even rubbish players preform well under it so... Arsene knows!

Arsenal can beat anyone on their day, they can score for fun. IRL they aren't consistent, on FM they are too consistent.

that's the way I look at it anyway. The most frustrating thing for me is when you are holding them to a draw or beating them at half time, Wenger without fail always gives the most inspirational team talk and they come out and batter me.

I find usually with my games that the prem usually settle down to a troika of Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, with Arsenal close behind but about one or two players short. Liverpool can go bankrupt quite easily (classical case of addiction to european money, which when withdrawn leads to collapse). Where I find Arsenal to be a bit of a tank is in Europe, very rarely being knocked out before CL semis and often finalists and even winners. I haven't done any games on 09 over 15 years, mainly due to running lots of leaguies and the forums slowing down my click through.

I find usually with my games that the prem usually settle down to a troika of Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, with Arsenal close behind but about one or two players short. Liverpool can go bankrupt quite easily (classical case of addiction to european money, which when withdrawn leads to collapse). Where I find Arsenal to be a bit of a tank is in Europe, very rarely being knocked out before CL semis and often finalists and even winners. I haven't done any games on 09 over 15 years, mainly due to running lots of leaguies and the forums slowing down my click through.

I could agree with you, tho 2 seasons arent really enough to prove that, I beat them in the final first season and they're in the quarters for season.

I've ran 4 serious games ranging from 4 seasons up to 15, and generally starting finances decide the future layout of the premiership, I find. In this area Arsenal are a bit behind and can be vulnerable at times. BTW I've never played a serious game in Prem so my impressions are basically those gotten from the level playing field of an all AI league (player participation can really mess with a league prediction).

Its usually Arsenal and Man City from my experiences but Arsenal are not unbeatable. The EPL is too easy with most clubs and is winnable within 4 or 5 seasons with any team that starts in the Prem.

Depends on your level of skill/experience I suppose, but I wouldn't personally class it as easy.

Depends on your level of skill/experience I suppose, but I wouldn't personally class it as easy.

I only really manage in Spain and England, I have found it much tougher to win La Liga than to get the Prem title. I just think its easier to win the EPL with Sunderland than it is to win La Liga with Valencia, I can only speak from my experiences.

Arsenal always seem to do well in early Autumn before FM is released, which may explain why they seem so good in the game, only to fail miserably in the winter, then the excuses come, they're only babies (not true), next year we'll do this blah blah etc then they start well again so get a high in game rating only to fail miserably in the winter etc etc

and so the cycle continues, at any other ''big'' club Wenger's lack of success would see him sacked, at Arsenal he's called a genius; it's remarkable really.

Arsenal always seem to do well in early Autumn before FM is released, which may explain why they seem so good in the game, only to fail miserably in the winter, then the excuses come, they're only babies (not true), next year we'll do this blah blah etc then they start well again so get a high in game rating only to fail miserably in the winter etc etc

and so the cycle continues, at any other ''big'' club Wenger's lack of success would see him sacked, at Arsenal he's called a genius; it's remarkable really.

Not really. Its about perspective. If you look where Arsenal were before Wenger came along and where they are now, both on the pitch and off it, i'd say he deserves a break!

They definately dominate in my games. could go through a season beaten only once year after year. Adebeyor just a goal machine. My only obstacle to winning the league is always Arsenals stupidly unrealistic form

Now Man City have Adebayor that further reinforces my view that it will be Man City who dominate FM10.

Arsenal won the league five years before Wenger came (for the 2nd time in three seasons) with a team full of young home grown players and cheap signings.

It's now been five years again since Arsenal won the league, or indeed anything else- in the seasons post the '91 league win before Wenger came Arsenal won the Cup winners cup (and reached the final again the next year), the FA Cup and League Cup, so they were doing better than the current team.

I think the myth of the progress under Wenger is greater than the cold reality; but that's just the way I see it :)

HarryMills - I can see your point in that respect, but also you need to remember that back in 1991 the competition wasnt as great as it is now. There is a top 4 in England, then teams like Spurs, Man City and Villa all trying to win something, but there is only 3 trophies to go around. The top 4 seems to use the Carling cup to play reserves so that only leaves 2 competitions to win, plus Europe.

I think it one of them things that happens to certain few. In my seven and a bit season save, Wenger has gone as have some of their top players. They have finished no higher then 3rd and as low as 7th. The only success for them was winning the FA Cup and finishing runners up to my United team in the Champions League. They have beaten me twice, we've drawn 5 games and I have won 15. Scoring a total of 28 past me and conceding 56. So I have never understood this complaint since it first started until now.

Why are the 'Gooners' so good in the EPL. I know this is a cliche but on a given day Arsenal can beat anyone and at times can be breathtaking. Like Barcelona there interchangeable, 'total football' ethos is unsurpassed. But unlike Barcelona they don't have the steal and tenacious qualities that are shown in their brittleness and lack of leadership!

Arsenal are capable of beating the 'top clubs' but are also capable of going away on a cold winter night to a bottom league team and being 'kicked off the park' in a fair way that they cannot contend with because of the above reasons and others (too many foreigners?). My question is how can this 'split personality' if you like being incorporated into FM, being great one week and distinctively average the next. I'm not sure it can be really in terms of incorporating this Jekyll and Hyde behaviour into the game, i.e. code or what ever. Therefore Arsenal are seen in their best light!!!

But maybe be an idea would be based on the hidden attributes of each player, the team accumulates these numbers and goes towadrs the make up of the team, but I'm not sure how that would work, a bit like the squad personality but go a bit further. :)

They have never been way overpowered in my saves, always challenged for the league but and won it a few times, but that is all.

Real Madrid has been the unbeatable force in my game, winning the CL something like 5 times in a row and La Liga 7 in a row.

HarryMills: Mate you’re doing what too many football followers do and that is getting blinded by ‘short-termism’ and failure to look at the long-term and bigger picture. You can’t compare success in the premier league today to say 10 years ago, too much has changed and it’s like comparing apples and oranges. Arsenal have clearly opted for a long term vision for the club that has included building the new stadium and making the club as stable as possible so that its long-term future is assured. It is a fact that they have suffered badly with injuries to key players over the past two seasons, and now this season we are starting to see their true potential once again. As a gooner myself, I am critical of some of Wengers decisions and ideals, but I could not say that he hasn’t been successful or that any other manager could have done a better job in rebuilding the club to where it is now. Another criticism that has been laid at wenger is that he plays a totally foreign team. Only now are we starting to see the fruit of arsenal’s investment in their youth development, and few can argue that arsenal’s academy isn’t churning out the most exciting local talent in the premiership. When you see the ridiculous prices that average UK players go for, I’m more than happy to wait a while for more success while the next generation of home-grown talent comes through.

Now you could argue that arsenal in fm 09 are ‘overrated’ (as too many others have done ad-nauseam for the last year), but if you actually look at the ca’s/pa’s of the vast majority of the players, I think they are realistic. The fact is that Arsenal don’t always dominate the league in everyone’s save, rather that in some saves they are hard to beat (but certainly not impossible) and play very effective fm-football. Instead of complaining about how good arsenal are, why not spend the time developing your abilities in the game.

people and practically every pundit thinks that with on or two additions ie cb dm keeper arsenal would be a dominant force football manager goes on the potential of players the aim of being is getting the best young players for your squad arsenal have some of the best youngsters in world football when arsenal play to there best and dont get misfortune for instance of an og and silly penalty decision or a gk getting sent of or a young left back slipping over a keeper fluting around off his line or players diving and their own player taking thier eyes of the ball or a number of reckless tackles that would be more at home on a fishing trawler then the can and would match and beat most teams in the world

try playing it when you are arsenal and see who are the dominant teams man city chelsea and before mu with ronaldo before he left and see how conned you get by them 3 teams

people and practically every pundit thinks that with on or two additions ie cb dm keeper arsenal would be a dominant force football manager goes on the potential of players the aim of being is getting the best young players for your squad arsenal have some of the best youngsters in world football when arsenal play to there best and dont get misfortune for instance of an og and silly penalty decision or a gk getting sent of or a young left back slipping over a keeper fluting around off his line or players diving and their own player taking thier eyes of the ball or a number of reckless tackles that would be more at home on a fishing trawler then the can and would match and beat most teams in the world

try playing it when you are arsenal and see who are the dominant teams man city chelsea and before mu with ronaldo before he left and see how conned you get by them 3 teams

So in other words, if they didn't lose games they'd be brilliant? Makes sense.

If it hadn't been for me at Stoke, Arsenal would be without a doubt the most dominant team on the game. As it is, they can't compete with me though, and are now finally in 2024 beginning to fade away.

The only reason why Arsenal are so good is because having a pacey team far exceeds the benefits of say, having a strong team. So on FM, when Arsenal come up against the likes of Bolton and Stoke the fact these two teams have the capability to beat Arsenal especially at home where they can sit deep and outmuscle their players on FM it just doesn't seem to factor in. In football games its something thats hard to balance, in the management sims and in the playing versions like FIFA.

But then at the same time, players like Adebayor and a few others were massively over-rated on the mental side in my mind. A fair few of Arsenal's players, should if say you set your tackling to hard become a bit withdrawn. Adebayor was the most stand-out example last season, if a defender clattered him early on he struggled to get into the game because he was pretty much afraid of getting hurt. With Man City he hasn't come up against anyone roughing him up yet, but will do before new year and then I suspect he'll act the same in those games.

Archived