[FM09] From Grass Roots to the Best of the Best

Adam C

New update, official Sortitoutsi update. And I've put my 19 year old player into the game as a free agent. He's a AMC/FC, With a potential of -10. Leagues loaded are: England to League 2, Spain to Liga Adelante, Italy to Serie B, France Ligue 1, the MLS, and the SPL.Hope you enjoy it

8th July: Today have heard rumours of numerous English sides interest in myself, such as Bohemians, Cork City, Shamrock Rovers, A.F.C Bournemouth, Bradford City, Cardiff, Charlton, C Palace, Derby County, and Ipswich. If any of these sides are in for me, I'd probably favour a move to an English side for now, as I can't see a foreign move at the age of 19 being a good decision.

9th July: Received good contract offers from Cardiff, Leeds, and am wondering about which would be my ideal club.

10th July: Recently relegated Middlesbrough make a move for myself, along with Hibs and Hearts. Tough choice for me.

12th July: Big side Celtic make an offer, but would I get football there? But would I make better progress as a player there?

14th July: My agent thinks I'm championship quality at the least, and good enough for the SPL. He believes I should just do my best to ensure the new club I join is suitable for me.

16th July: It was tough to turn down Middlesbrough and Celtic, but I felt Leeds were perfect for me. If I could do a job in the championship then perhaps I could know the feeling of being a prolific scorer in the League One, at least I hoped so. Still, I did not expect to be at Leeds in a few seasons, this was merely the first stepping stone, to become a well known English striker.

16th July: Leeds United vs. Sheff Utd. (FR)

I started the game, feeling it was a start of something great, but I was nervous all the same. Perhaps my performance showed it to, only having a 50% pass completion was disappointing, and I only had 1 shot, and it was off target. But, it was only a run out in my new colours before being subbed off in the 61st minute. And it wasn't the fairy tale start, us being on the end of a 4-1 defeat, our goal coming from a Jermaine Beckford penalty, who I hoped I could form a lethal partnership with. Player Rating: 6.2, Result: 1-4 defeat

18th July: Farsley v Leeds United (FR)

I started again, this time alongside Becchio, and once the again my strike partner got the goals as he netted twice, but I improved a little, having 2 shots, both missing the target. Once again my pass ratio wasn;t great, just under 50%, but, I did my bit for the side, running 8.4km in the match before being subbed in the 83rd minute. Still, it was nice to get my first win, even if it was only against Farsley Celtic.

Player Rating: 6.6, Result: 2-0 win

23rd July: Dunfermline vs. Leeds United (FR)

Once again I found myself begging the game, but once again my performance was tame. Once again I finished just under 50% for pass succession ratio, but I didn't even have a shot so that's a bit disappointing too. It finished a dull 0-0.

Player Rating: 6.4, Result: 0-0 draw

thanks :) Sadly i couldn't choose for him eh. Although I probably would've chosen Celtic...

27th July: Leeds United vs. Rangers (FR)

I was now on the bench, not surprising as I hadn't impressed yet. I watched as we played alright, them having more of the ball, but our defence keeping them at bay. It was 0-0 at half time. No changes were made. I had to wait until the 80th minute before coming on. I shook hands with Beckford as I replaced him. Almost immediately, Jason Crowe booted it long, Howson controlled, he played me in! Me with my first proper chance!” Without thinking, I slotted it to the keepers right, and watched in ecstasy as it curled up into the corner of the net. 1-0! I ran off, giddy as a little child, and did my old school celebration. I kissed the badge, and then pretended to be putting a golf ball into a hole. Classic. More importantly, I'd scored! It turned out it was the winner too, we won 1-0, true my pass ratio was once again only 50%, but hey, it's been my best performance yet.

Player Rating: 7.2, Result: 1-0 win

31st July: Guiseley vs. Leeds United (FR)

Well, never had this one down as a tough match, and I was proven right. It was all to easy, and the goals flowed. I was delighted to be the scorer of 3, that's right a hattrick. Pretty special moment for me, even if it was only Guiseley. Becchio got 2, but, every shot of mine was on target, 4 out of 4, and I got a slightly higher than 50% pass ratio, which although a little poor, is something I have failed to achieve before now. So all in all, a great night!

Player Rating: 9.5 (ManOfTheMatch), Result: 5-0 win

9th August: Leeds United vs. Oldham (CCL1)

Great to be starting my first competitive match, I just hoped it would be something special. It started well, the ball was out wide, Bromby crossed it in, too high for me. But at the far post.. Beckford! 1-0! Great start and I rushed to congratulate him, it was a simple finish but he took it well. I was working my socks off, and I was pretty happy to hear the end of the first half whistle, as I was pretty thirsty. But eagerly anticipated the next half of football. In the next half, I was a little dissapointed with the first 25minutes, still 1-0, but no matter how hard I tried, I barely got the ball. Until, Bromby played a neat one-two with Beckford, then crossed it in, I ran around their tall centre back, leapt into the air, connected, and GOAL! On my league debut too! I ran to the corner flag, and

of course, performed the legendary 'golf ball' celebration, delighted I'd quite probably ended the game. And it was so, as we ended up easy 2-0 victors!

Player Rating: 7.6, Result: 2-0 win

This could be interesting to see how you improve. Might be worthwhile on every update to make a tally of appearances/goals/assists/rating etc. Will make life a little easier for the reader to know how your playing is doing prior to reading the latest update. But thats up to you of course.

That's a good idea, I agree. Sadly, though, I already did a whole season, posts are already done, so no time to go back :( I'll put it in for next season, as I cannot give you stats bar the ones I get at the end of the season.

13th August: Bury vs. Leeds (LC)

It was nice to start again, alongside Becchio as Beckford was rested, and the half was rather good, we dominated, but with no clear cut chances to our name. Until the 41st minute that is, where their striker went through on goal! But then, Kisnorbo flew into a challenge, but missed the ball, and took the man down. Last man, he had to go... And the ref made no mistake, we were down to 10 men. At half time the gaffer reminded us we're a stronger side and we could still win the game. He brought on Prutton for Becchio, meaning I was a lone striker. And in the second half, we did really well, keeping the ball, no chances fell our away, but they didn't for Bury either. And by the final whistle it was 0-0. Still work to be done, and it was extra time. I was subbed off for Beckford, not shockingly as I was a little tired. And give the manager credit, it worked, Purtton picked up the ball, played in Beckford, who made no mistake. 1-0. And we fended them off to claim a well earned 1-0 win. I was delighted, as I didn't want to watch the lads during a penalty shoot out, feeling the suspense would be too much, but we won.

Player Rating: 6.2, Result: 1-0 win

16th August: Hartlepool vs. Leeds (CCL1)

Well, here, we expected a win, and although I began, alongside him, Beckford stole the show, with 2 great goals, which got us a great 2-0 win, things were looking rosy...

Player Rating: 6.4, Result: 2-0 win

23rd August August: Leeds vs. Gillingham (CCL1)

Once again, Beckford was on fire, finishing off a through ball from Gerardo, which put is one up, desperate for a goal, I doubled my efforts, and got the reward. Sheehan picked the ball on the left flank, crossed it in, I was at the back post, free! I controlled it, and booted it across the goal, and into the net. I ran off to the home crowd and did my normal celebration. The second half seemed to be going well, when Gerardo once again set up Beckford, who made it 3-0. But, Bromby took down their player as he turned inside the box, and their player tucked the penalty away. Shame to not get a clean sheet, but a win was a win.

Player Rating: 7.8, Result: 3-1 win

27th August: Q.P.R vs. Leeds (LC)

Well, a championship side, how we served would be interesting, and all in all, we served pretty well, pretty well indeed. Kisnorbo, picked it up in the centre of the park, and played a great ball for myself! One on one with the keeper, I faked a shot, took it around him, and left-footed it into the empty net! Goal!!! I was pleased with the fact I was confident enough to take it round him. The rest of the game, went decently, we were clearly pleased with the one nil, but they were unable to get a look in on goal. Until of course, when they had a corner. Ball in, cleared, straight to the corner taker again, who whipped it in, free man! Into the top of the net! 2 Minutes from full time as well. I groaned and rubbed my hands through my hair in frustration, as it went to added time. Sheehan picked up the ball, played it to me, I turned, and shot! Right into the corner! I went ballistic, wild that we were back ahead, and did the usual golf ball celebration. Get in! Now Q.P.R were on the offensive, pushing for an equaliser, but we cleared another fruitless attack, I picked up the ball, played it to Michael Doyle, who returned the favour! I took on a defender, got past him, pulled my leg back! But a leg curled around my foot and brought me tumbling over... I heard a whistle, penalty! I shook my head, annoyed my hattrick had been denied. Andy Robinson picked up the ball, walked over to me, and handed it over. “Wha??? Your taking aren't you?”

He shook his head, “Get your hattrick mate, you deserve it.” I smiled, grateful, and plucked the ball down. Then eyes, firmly on the left handside corner, I jogged up, and passed it into the bottom right, sending the keeper the wrong way, 3-1! We were through! I ran down the touchline and punched the air, then, I put my hattrick celebration into practise, I picked up my boot, then immediately dropped it, and rubbed my hands as though burnt, like my celebration suggests, at the time, I just felt on Hot form.

Player Rating: 8.8 (ManoftheMatch), Result: 3-1 win

30th August: Swindon Town vs. Leeds (CCL1)

Well, this didn't go to plan at all. First we concede from a poorly marked corner, then Bromby was sent off for 2 bookable offences, and I was subbed off after so we could continue to have 4 midfielders. I think it may have been a blessing in disguise though, as we went on to concede another, and the lads were demoralised when the final whistle went.

Player Rating: 6.4, Result: 2-0 loss

17th September: Leeds vs. Leyton Orient (CCL1)

What a frustrating game, we had tons of possession, a couple of clear cut chances, but were just unable to find the back of the net. Me and Beckford were alright, but just not as threatening as we'd like to have been. It just wasn't our day in the end.

Player Rating: 6.8, Result: 0-0 draw

20th September: Leeds vs. Huddersfield (CCL1)

Time for a win, some disappointing results lately, and that needed to change. And it looked like we should achieve 3 points too, we completely dominated, but just like against Orient we just weren't looking like scoring. And at half time, we got an ear full about getting into space, and playing simple. We just needed a goal. And 20 minutes in, it looked no different to the first half I'm afraid. The keeper kicked it long, I jumped, but felt something go in my leg, “Aaargh!” I exclaimed, clutching my calf. The physio rushed on, he examined me, “Is it bad?” I asked him, slightly nervously. He nodded, “Probably. We need you off the pitch son.” I sighed, so much for my impact on the game. I was put onto the stretcher and carried off. I watched as my replacement Grella won the ball, Hughes put a ball in, it bobbled around the area, Doyle's there! Goal! I applauded with the rest of the bench as we went one up. Lifting my mood slightly, although I was anxious to hear about

how long I would be out for.

Player Rating: 6.4, Result: 1-0 win

21st Semptember:

It turned out, it was bad. I would be out for at least 3-4 weeks, and the gaffer told me I wouldn't be rushed back, so I probably won't get a game for at least a month or so... I hope this is a one off injury.

24th September: Man Utd vs. Leeds (LC)

Here we were, at Old Trafford, and I was watching from the sidelines... But to be honest, It wasn't the fairytale we'd dreamed of, and we were, as expected, thumped. Berbatov netted 2, Brown scored a header, and Carrick ended it with a well placed strike. 4-0, and we were never in it really.

Player Rating: N/A, Result: 4-0 loss

27thth September: Wycombe vs. Leeds (CCL1)

Once again I could only watch from aside, and I was disappointed to be honest, as we went 1-0 down on the stroke of half time, and failed to equalise. Meaning more points lost, plus Becchio was injured for 4-5 months, meaning we were running out of strikers.. It wasn't looking so rosy anymore...

Player Rating: N/A, Result: 1-0 loss

Archived