A question about player age

In my experience (dating back to CM1) when players get to the age of about 34 they're no longer good enough for the first team in any role other than backup and your coach reports say to offload them and whatnot.

But as we're seeing with Ryan Giggs at the moment it is possible for players to perform well at the highest level into their mid thirties. Paolo Maldini was still getting MoM awards in champions leage games at the age of 39. David Weird at Ranges is still captain (i think) and regular starter at 39 and Henrik Larsson has been called up to the Swedish national team at the age of 38.

I was just wondering if anyone else agrees that FM needs to be altered to allow some players to continue to perform into relative old age. But aswell as that i think FM needs to reflect the impact some players have on the team in regards to influence and personality. Using Giggs and Maldini as examples again they're were/are extremely important to their respectives teams in more ways than their performances on the pitch.

Thoughts?

i've still got carragher in my team at the age of 35. still going strong. it may be different for defenders though.

but having said that, lampart is about 34 and is still getting 15+ goals a season in my save for chelsea. (i'm liverpool)

i actually think that too many players are staying at the top of their game in FM. a better balance would be good.

I think it has more to do with the player's personality. You can believe Lampard, Rooney etc would have the determination and drive to continue till mid 30s. Carragher not so much maybe. Also, Giggs has changed his position and style in order to carry on, and this could be reflected. It is very rare though.

Archived