Huge reputation increasement

I encountered something frustrating and I can't say why it happened.

I'm playing as Ajax in the Dutch league. I'm three years into the game and I won the league all three years including one cup win and one super cup. In Europe, I did a decent job i think with one Uefa cup semi final, one Uefa cup quarter final and one time I ended 4th in my CL-group (which wasn't necessary by the way)

My biggest rivals like real life is PSV. They ended 4th in the first year and now two times second. They didn't win anything in those three years and only reached the Uefa cup 16th finals once.

About 1,5 years ago, a Lithuanian consortium bought PSV. Now all of a sudden, they are able to buy world class players who aren't interested in negotiating with me at all. Because money isn't the problem, I can pay them a lot more than PSV do at the moment, I decided to check them with FMRTE.

And what did I see... PSV's reputation did rise to 8400 with my repuation being 7200. Why did that happen? They didn't win anything in the game and they do not pay their players more than I would be able to. I have a squad with some world class players and when PSV are interested, they insist on being able to have talks with them.

They have nothing more to offer than me, but they became a more famous club because some Lithuanian weirdo's bought the club? I can't see any logic in this.

The reputation was pretty much the biggest bug on FM09. It simply wasn't part of the game, therefore I do not know if this can be considered a bug cause it was simply and completely missing.

That's deeply frustrating, I hear you mate , cause a lower league manager or another who gains hardly the results they are not considered from the game in terms of reputation.

That was a shame,

I only hope someone will chime in to clarify the big issue for FM10. I would prefer a real reputation management instead of flashing lights or cosmetic features.

Like Man City, when all their money came in, they became a world-wide name, everyone suddenly knew that Man City were a team to reckon with. They had the money and were planning. Their reputation has also gone up, as they signed the likes of Robinho and Adebayor etc.

I'd say it was a pretty accurate thing in the game that PSV's reputation increased alot with new money.

Same with Notts County in England, no-one (beyond their fans) really paid any attention to them, now they have more money behind them i certainly know more about them. I know their manager's name for a start, and some of the players!

It depends.

Seeing the reputation issue from outside UK I can assure you that Liverpool, Manchester Utd, Chelsea etc.. are well known above all for their results.

Man City and its sugar daddy is almost unknown due to the lack of european results.

Like Man City, when all their money came in, they became a world-wide name, everyone suddenly knew that Man City were a team to reckon with. They had the money and were planning. Their reputation has also gone up, as they signed the likes of Robinho and Adebayor etc.

I'd say it was a pretty accurate thing in the game that PSV's reputation increased alot with new money.

Same with Notts County in England, no-one (beyond their fans) really paid any attention to them, now they have more money behind them i certainly know more about them. I know their manager's name for a start, and some of the players!

In a way you are right but at the same time he has been winning trophies and therefore if PSVs reputation were to go up it shouldn't really go higher then his at Ajax. e.g now man city have money it doesn't mean they have a higher rep then chelsea and the rest of the top 4

In a way you are right but at the same time he has been winning trophies and therefore if PSVs reputation were to go up it shouldn't really go higher then his at Ajax. e.g now man city have money it doesn't mean they have a higher rep then chelsea and the rest of the top 4

That's what I mean, I don't have a problem with them being around my reputation. I can't offer a player more in terms of money but I am able to pay them as much as PSV do.

The only thing that I can guarantee a player is trophies, because that's what I did all three years I was in charge. So it seems a bit silly to me that my players would consider moving to PSV only because there is a tycoon in charge that doesn't offer anything I wouldn't offer.

I can understand that my players want to play in a bigger league, but that's not the case here.

It depends.

Seeing the reputation issue from outside UK I can assure you that Liverpool, Manchester Utd, Chelsea etc.. are well known above all for their results.

Man City and its sugar daddy is almost unknown due to the lack of european results.

Untrue.

Because if it were true then they would not have been able to sign several class players.

Their reputation in world football has risen massively, like it or lump it.

That's what I mean, I don't have a problem with them being around my reputation. I can't offer a player more in terms of money but I am able to pay them as much as PSV do.

The only thing that I can guarantee a player is trophies, because that's what I did all three years I was in charge. So it seems a bit silly to me that my players would consider moving to PSV only because there is a tycoon in charge that doesn't offer anything I wouldn't offer.

I can understand that my players want to play in a bigger league, but that's not the case here.

I'm with runandjump here.

You cannot compare the situation to the English one as the big four are all easily among the top 10 in the world. City obviously cannot exceed them in reputation.

But in the Dutch league it's different. Ajax isn't a world top 10 club and won't be even after 10 consecutive national titles unless they also win something in Europe which the OP has not. So if PSV are now one of the world's richest clubs, that's their new aim and comparison, not any good team on a national level anymore. Look at RB Salzburg: They don't look to Vienna, they look to Munich (yet, not very successfully so far of course).

If PSV spend their money wisely the OP cannot at all guarantee trophies anymore either. With PSV's cash coming to the league, Ajax' status is automatically lowered as players will now see higher chances for success at PSV.

edit: If I was a player and got offers by those two clubs, with PSV's likely to be higher even, I'd always join PSV, not Ajax, in this situation.

So if you ask me, it's all fine :)

You cannot compare the situation to the English one as the big four are all easily among the top 10 in the world. City obviously cannot exceed them in reputation.

But in the Dutch league it's different. Ajax isn't a world top 10 club and won't be even after 10 consecutive national titles unless they also win something in Europe which the OP has not. So if PSV are now one of the world's richest clubs, that's their new aim and comparison, not any good team on a national level anymore. Look at RB Salzburg: They don't look to Vienna, they look to Munich (yet, not very successfully so far of course).

If PSV spend their money wisely the OP cannot at all guarantee trophies anymore either. With PSV's cash coming to the league, Ajax' status is automatically lowered as players will now see higher chances for success at PSV.

edit: If I was a player and got offers by those two clubs, with PSV's likely to be higher even, I'd always join PSV, not Ajax, in this situation.

The problem is that PSV's budget's doesn't exceed mine. My transfer budget is € 40M their budget is € 50M. I can offer a key player € 89.000 a week. When my board thinks the player is really good or already playing at my team, I can offer € 110.000 a week. PSV signed Alexis Sanchez from Udinese. I was interested too, but he wasn't intrested in me. Now he is on a € 60.000 contract and their best payed player. I have a couple of players who are payed more, so there isn't any good reason why players would not even discuss terms with me while they do want to talk to PSV.

The discussion about Man City is not the same as here. Adebayor is payed more by Man City than Arsenal did. Robinho is a moaner and wasn't sure about his first team place at Real. By the way, he is now one of the best payed players in the world. Something that's definitely not the case with players signing for PSV in my game.

I can guarantee players trophies because my team is better, they won't be able to buy players as good as mine with € 50M. I don't care about players signing for PSV, I think the reputation change is wrong and there's no reason players will talk to them and not with me.

What if i were to compare it to the scottish league? Do you think top players would want to start joining Celtic if they were taken over? Whats the point of trying to dominate the SPL anymore when they already have a dominance...

My point is that this would probably never happen IRL, as why would somebody want to try dominate such a weak league? If someone wanted to win the champions league they would choose a team in a better rep of league surely? Like Man City. Just going to a team to try win the champions league and the league(when they already have a high percentage chance of winning the league anyway).

What if i were to compare it to the scottish league? Do you think top players would want to start joining Celtic if they were taken over? Whats the point of trying to dominate the SPL anymore when they already have a dominance...

My point is that this would probably never happen IRL, as why would somebody want to try dominate such a weak league? If someone wanted to win the champions league they would choose a team in a better rep of league surely? Like Man City. Just going to a team to try win the champions league and the league(when they already have a high percentage chance of winning the league anyway).

Would the Rangers' players think about going to Celtic after being Scottish champions without being paid better only because a tycoon has arrived??? I don't think so. Not to mention they won't have a life anymore in Schotland.

I think you can compare this situation although there is not as much rivalery between Ajax and PSV.

Well obviously with the money, they're able to bring bigger players to the club and with bigger players comes bigger reputation. On a recent Man City save I was playing, the club rep increased from like 8000 to 8500 just by signing Kaka. After that, I was able to sign Gerrard (I couldn't get him before I had Kaka) and after I got Gerrard, had the option to buy Torres, but chose not to. It's just like in real life

Untrue.

Because if it were true then they would not have been able to sign several class players.

Their reputation in world football has risen massively, like it or lump it.

Sorry to miss infos...but which are the class players in Manchester City beside Robinho ?

During last years Mancester city failed both in UK and Europe as far as I know.

The other teams I mentioned signed classy players after having won here and there. I also like the fact the soccer is raising its reputation but during Van Basten Milan era it was the same despiting the overall soccer reputation was not so high, and the amount of money involved was definitely less than nowdays, IMO.

Ironically, I felt the same about Ajax on FM08 . I managed Feyenoord for about 6-7 seasons, winning 2 titles, 4 cups, 2 super cups and reaching the 1/4 of the CL once and got beyond the group stage twice (thus outperforming Ajax by a mile since they never got past the group stage). The biggest signing I could attract was Arshavin, while they were spending £40M+ every summer on players like Barry, Makoun, Barzagli, Young and several others who wouldn't even think about opening talks with me :)

Archived