Same Old, Same Old

I cant be the only one in thinking that FM2010 is just an updated version of 09?

The 'new' features are not 'new', apart from the flash-photography, rain and the visible stands on 3D match view......hardly ground-breaking tbh.

I know that the match engine is superior to others on the market, but will long-term games be playable?

I got to 2026 in one save, and every goalkeeper was so bad, i ended up quitting the game, i know that alot of others have said about the flaws in long-term saves too.

I suppose the update for players and staff will be good, but hardly a 'big step' after one year in the making, I know it is not Fifa manager and i do not want fancy graphics

but the FM Series seems to have become slightly Stale tbf.

Championship Manager is just not worth buying, and Football Manager remains light years ahead, but is this just because it has become the best of a bad bunch?

A whole new way of interface and way of setting up tactical sliders, based on football terminology.

A brand new competition editor, to allow the users to create and share any league setup they wish to create, real or fantasy.

A whole new backroom advice module, to help out those managers that want/need it.

I could go on. You're wrong :)

A whole new way of interface and way of setting up tactical sliders, based on football terminology.

A brand new competition editor, to allow the users to create and share any league setup they wish to create, real or fantasy.

A whole new backroom advice module, to help out those managers that want/need it.

I could go on. You're wrong :)

Hardly worth a years work tbh.......

I dont think many players will bother with the 'competition Editor, or 'Fantasy Football comps' as many players are over the age of 12.

'Advice Module' as a new feature.......wow, sounds great :(

'New Interface'....should of been done years ago, most players d/l new skins anyway.....

Which leads me to a question, is the game designed to only play for 4 or 5 seasons before starting again?

because the long term game becomes really flawed and unrealistic and basically unplayable.

I cant be the only one in thinking that FM2010 is just an updated version of 09?

The 'new' features are not 'new', apart from the flash-photography, rain and the visible stands on 3D match view......hardly ground-breaking tbh.

I know that the match engine is superior to others on the market, but will long-term games be playable?

I got to 2026 in one save, and every goalkeeper was so bad, i ended up quitting the game, i know that alot of others have said about the flaws in long-term saves too.

I suppose the update for players and staff will be good, but hardly a 'big step' after one year in the making, I know it is not Fifa manager and i do not want fancy graphics

Championship Manager is just not worth buying, and Football Manager remains light years ahead, but is this just because it has become the best of a bad bunch?

"I know that the match engine is superior to others on the market, but will long-term games be playable?

I got to 2026 in one save, and every goalkeeper was so bad, i ended up quitting the game, i know that alot of others have said about the flaws in long-term saves too."

So you're saying you'd rather SI introduce another load of new features rather than fixing these issues?

"I know that the match engine is superior to others on the market, but will long-term games be playable?

I got to 2026 in one save, and every goalkeeper was so bad, i ended up quitting the game, i know that alot of others have said about the flaws in long-term saves too."

So you're saying you'd rather SI introduce another load of new features rather than fixing these issues?

Fix both issues, not a big ask tbf.....but fix long term games would be a priority.

An updated version is EXACTLY what FM10 needed. The series really needed to stand still for a year and work hard on developing an existing fantastic array of features into a system which was better integrated, more intelligent and provided a better game for the user.

I wrote a post to this extent back in January http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=96377 and I'm delighted its the path that SI have decided to take this year.

Fix both issues, not a big ask tbf.....but fix long term games would be a priority.

How do you know if its a big ask or not?

Do you work for SI?

What knowledge/qualifications do you have that have led you to this conclusion?

What experience do you have of software similar to FM?

Aside from a few minor issues long term saves are perfectly playable, how do I know this? I've played three of them on FM09.

Besides all that SI have listened to the community and done what was requested by improving/extending the current features along with polishing the game so :thup: to them.

Sure 100% perfect is unrealistic, but the game shouldn't be in an unplayable state which it has been for several versions now. Meaningful long term games haven't been possible for ages with all the flaws surrounding new players and AI team building. Sorting that out might not be a sexy new feature for the back of a box, but it is the difference between a management game and a coaster. Right now SI seem more interested in generating sales through adding pointless fluff features rather than providing a quality management game. They need to get back to their text sim roots.

Moreover the really trivial little things that never get fixed are mounting up as each new version comes out. Case in point how many versions have we had the inverted obstruction text, with the alleged victim getting conceeding the free kick? By itself this is nothing, but as the flaws are added in each new version it all starts to grate.

D

Aside from a few minor issues long term saves are perfectly playable, how do I know this? I've played three of them on FM09.

Lucky you, but for me they are just crap, the A.I. build poo teams and buy poo players so it becomes easy to dominate......boring,predictable......therefore, un-install.

Sure 100% perfect is unrealistic, but the game shouldn't be in an unplayable state which it has been for several versions now. Meaningful long term games haven't been possible for ages with all the flaws surrounding new players and AI team building. Sorting that out might not be a sexy new feature for the back of a box, but it is the difference between a management game and a coaster. Right now SI seem more interested in generating sales through adding pointless fluff features rather than providing a quality management game. They need to get back to their text sim roots.

Moreover the really trivial little things that never get fixed are mounting up as each new version comes out. Case in point how many versions have we had the inverted obstruction text, with the alleged victim getting conceeding the free kick? By itself this is nothing, but as the flaws are added in each new version it all starts to grate.

you are saying that but how do u know they havent sorted them things out this year its a polish version. You cant judge it till u have played the new game.

I think the new competition editor is a massive new feature tbh; it's probably the biggest addition imaginable for me personally - I hate the way the real-life Scottish leagues are organised, so I can change that in the new editor. And I can add more tiers below those present for England in the database and manage one of my favourite clubs... Massive addition tbh.

These aren't small additions - these are massive things with multiple layers and masses of new options that will have needed coding, testing, fixing, more testing, more coding... SI have promised us polish and given us much, much, much more than that, by the looks of it.

You cannot always please everyone and this kind of thread was/is/will be to be expected :(

There are quite a few new features, but SI have said that this time around they concentrate on the 'polishing' i.e. refining the existing features to perfection (well, closer to it) instead of introducing too many new ones.

This finds my full applause as one of the key things which griped me about FM09 were the many small things which were just not right, adding up to a lack of immersion at times.

So by choosing this approach I expect a way bigger improvement compared to the last version compared to the introduction of new useless buggy features.

:thup::)

I agree with the OP in a way as i want to play long term and goalkeepers was a major problem.

Yeah, but the GK flaw should be exactly one of those which will be corrected for FM10 at the expense of new features which are likely to be less than perfect on release day. In the end the OP should have seen that counter-argument himself.

I have found an alarming lack of intelligence in AI managers as the game goes on with respect to buying and selling players. Often, the big teams keep their ageing players and don't replace them whilst 'lesser' clubs with a bit of money buy all the decent regens. Also, I hope Arsenal aren't quite as good this year round. :p

it would be crazy for SI not to build on what they've already created. which would be an 'update' or 'progression'.

i dont see anythign wrong with that. unless you think they should scrap everything they've already done and start again.

but there are alot of things that SI are doing that will please alot of people.

of course they could listen to those who dont 'just' want an update and fill the game with loads of snazzy half baked ideas and not fix any long standing issues.

but that would definetly be a backwards step for the series.

I have found an alarming lack of intelligence in AI managers as the game goes on with respect to buying and selling players. Often, the big teams keep their ageing players and don't replace them whilst 'lesser' clubs with a bit of money buy all the decent regens. Also, I hope Arsenal aren't quite as good this year round. :p

i've stumbled across a bug which allows the AI managers to pick up top quality young players. it involves not letting me be aware that they've bid for them in the first place!

the amount of times that i haven't been told a bid has been tabled, for a player thats in my short list, is just crazy.

but at least it stops me from picking all the young good players :D

Every version of FM is an updated version of the last one. Its evolution, not revolution.

Im more than happy to see a continually improving game released each year.

No expert in long term stability but my saved game is 35 years or something and still loving it.

How Football Manager can be classed as best of a bad bunch is absurd. The fact Ive been playing it for getting on 20 years and thing FM09 is the best one yet indicates its not a bad game !

Hardly worth a years work tbh.......

I dont think many players will bother with the 'competition Editor, or 'Fantasy Football comps' as many players are over the age of 12.

I am 30 years old and feel this a key feature for me especially when talking about long term gamming in the LLM. This is the opportunity for people to add the lowest league possible and build a team up form there.

Also all these years I have been waiting to play the Bangladeshi league, this will give me the chance to do so.

Many people enjoy creating fantasy leagues, nation, cups and competitions.

FM06 was just an updated FM05

FM07 was just an updated FM06

FM08 was just an updated FM07

FM09 was just an updated FM08

I've heard people spout all those opinions. Yet, go back to FM05, and you'll find it's very different to FM09.

Yep, i do agree with the OP really in that it doesn't seem to be a massive jump forward from the last game. Not that this is a bad thing though! I'd rather have an updated, 'polished' version of FM09 rather than a whole host of new features (or gimmicks) that don't work properly.

I can say this is the only year i am not excited about football manager. saw the new features, so does the touchline instructions means you'll be clicking all the time like LMA manager? Its really not exciting especially for those who have been playing the game every time it comes out. Will tactic philosophy make the game more interesting to play after 5years? i doubt it the new media interaction will it be the different and start repeating after 2016? the game should be based on long term this guy is making alot of sense.

I can say this is the only year i am not excited about football manager. saw the new features, so does the touchline instructions means you'll be clicking all the time like LMA manager? Its really not exciting especially for those who have been playing the game every time it comes out. Will tactic philosophy make the game more interesting to play after 5years? i doubt it the new media interaction will it be the different and start repeating after 2016? the game should be based on long term this guy is making alot of sense.

I totally understand the point you are making and I respect that we will probably differ on this subject but I completely disagree. I am more excited than ever this year, entirely because SI have decided to focus on making this game the best that it can be as opposed to shoe-horning in a hatful of new features.

Some features can take years to bed in completely, have all the bugs ironed out and really add to the game experience. Buggy features do nothing but detract from the game, however well intentioned their addition was. Now obviously, this game is incrediblly complex and the fact it takes time to get new features right is not SI's fault, but the fact the development of the game has been focused on improvement as opposed to innovation is only a good thing in my opinion. I can't wait to get my hands on a game that is more joined up, more fun and more immersive. Not to mention the speed increases mentioned in Monday's blog, I don't think these phenomenal results (if they are replicated out of the studio!) could have been achieved had the usual plethora of new features been rushed into as per usual.

Obviously we can't make a judgement quite yet but if FM10 is as good as I think its going to be, I'd like to see this development cycle replicated in future years, maybe setting aside 1 release out of every 3 for polish as opposed to new features.

FM06 was just an updated FM05

FM07 was just an updated FM06

FM08 was just an updated FM07

FM09 was just an updated FM08

I've heard people spout all those opinions. Yet, go back to FM05, and you'll find it's very different to FM09.

Whilst I agree with this to a point, there does seem to be a 'lag' effect with any significant new feature. When CM became FM '05 it was buggy. There seems to be an effect where 2, or even 3, versions of some new features are necessary before it works (board confidence, 2D match view, etc). When the latest game as been a polished update of the previous version (i.e '07) SI appear to have achieved the best results. In my opinion.

That is why I feel '10 may be great, although I don't think 3D will yet be the quality that some people are demanding.

The solution to this tis quite simple

Don't bother buying if its not to your taste

Finally! Someone said it! The sad truth is that many of you come here and threaten about how you are not going to buy the game for this reason or that reason. Don't buy it. That doesn't hurt me in the least as Average Joe Consumer. Also, your issue about long-term playability is one that we get here in the States about the EA Sports football games. It is NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE to build a game that will not have flaws over the long-term saves that the games encounter. This is for two reasons; 1) we cannot know who will be good in the future if we have good evidence of who has been good in the past and this tends to mean that the theory of probability will mathematically allow more upsets in the games than we are accustomed to IRL and 2) any flaw over a single season in any sports game becomes magnified the more seasons the game is played because the flaw gets multiplied by itself. IT IS BASIC CODE. If you rounded to the 100th on a computer code that called for rounding to the 1,000th and then asked the code to be run for 500 computations, you would find two very different answers. IT CANNOT BE FIXED. Hence, the game is a simulation of real life and not real life itself...

You appear to be contradicting and confusing your point at an alarming rate.
Finally! Someone said it! The sad truth is that many of you come here and threaten about how you are not going to buy the game for this reason or that reason. Don't buy it. That doesn't hurt me in the least as Average Joe Consumer. Also, your issue about long-term playability is one that we get here in the States about the EA Sports football games. It is NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE to build a game that will not have flaws over the long-term saves that the games encounter. This is for two reasons; 1) we cannot know who will be good in the future if we have good evidence of who has been good in the past and this tends to mean that the theory of probability will mathematically allow more upsets in the games than we are accustomed to IRL and 2) any flaw over a single season in any sports game becomes magnified the more seasons the game is played because the flaw gets multiplied by itself. IT IS BASIC CODE. If you rounded to the 100th on a computer code that called for rounding to the 1,000th and then asked the code to be run for 500 computations, you would find two very different answers. IT CANNOT BE FIXED. Hence, the game is a simulation of real life and not real life itself...

Yes, this is true to a point, but 10 years later in my save game every major force in europe was just dire.

not one club had any players that i wanted to buy or was envious of, the A.I. seems to self destruct, no real talent in there squads, and selling the wonderkids for next to nothing.

The A.I. seems to buy average players for huge amounts of cash, and not getting there moneys worth from them, a regular occurance in every one of my saves.

Same old griping about every new release ... you pay £30 for the game and can have a totally new experience every single day you play it .. Its worth the money and a updated version of FM09 minus a few bugs and some new added features seems great to me ... keep the faith :D

TBF to SI, they have presented us with a wonderful game year after year, the fact that you lot are so passionate about it is one of the main reasons. My opinion, like others on here have mentioned, an upgrade to some decent features is exactly what we're looking for.

Hm... by the looks of it you are probably right. But, I ask myself this question "how fantastic would an almost bug-free FM09 be?". My answer to that is very fantastic. As much as I played 09 a lot, there were many bugs in and I felt there were certain areas that needed to be expanded on and improved. And we have it.

If SI had started adding dramatic new features again, the game just wouldn't have worked. Last year was a big year in terms of the evolution of the series, it's now time to get these features perfect and then move on to new features for 2012 maybe.

I think your time might be best served reading the forums before posting, SI have said on a number of occassions that they are constantly addressing the long term playability of the game so that new players will be better balanced and that the AI will be improved, but this is not a new feature. If you play the demo and don't like it then do not buy the game.

Yep, i do agree with the OP really in that it doesn't seem to be a massive jump forward from the last game. Not that this is a bad thing though! I'd rather have an updated, 'polished' version of FM09 rather than a whole host of new features (or gimmicks) that don't work properly.

My sentiments also. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived