How do you stop a loosing streak….

Ok this is what happened to me, and it has not happened since the CM series…

I am playing with Man Utd and have gone on a 25match winning run in all competitions, my team is enjoying life to the max then I get knocked out of the champion’s league due to a stupid penalty given away by Rio Ferdinand (which was a Penalty kick not complaining about that) and now I am on a 7 match loosing streak and 11 match without a win icon_frown.gif

Not only have I been knocked out of the Champions League but FA and League cup so the only trophy I am playing for is the Premiership Title and also dropped form 1st to 4th 6 points behind Arsenal and 4 points behind Liverpool and 1 point behind Chelsea.

Next Match is against Arsenal Away and if I loose that then I am in big trouble as Arsenal have a game in hand.

This has to be the worse run I have been on in my life as a football manager and my board have had it with me so if I get the sack that would be the first for a good few years.

Any advice would be much appreciated…

Also is it in my game or does Mr Ferdinand give away a lot of penalty kicks icon_mad.gif

Ok this is what happened to me, and it has not happened since the CM series…

I am playing with Man Utd and have gone on a 25match winning run in all competitions, my team is enjoying life to the max then I get knocked out of the champion’s league due to a stupid penalty given away by Rio Ferdinand (which was a Penalty kick not complaining about that) and now I am on a 7 match loosing streak and 11 match without a win icon_frown.gif

Not only have I been knocked out of the Champions League but FA and League cup so the only trophy I am playing for is the Premiership Title and also dropped form 1st to 4th 6 points behind Arsenal and 4 points behind Liverpool and 1 point behind Chelsea.

Next Match is against Arsenal Away and if I loose that then I am in big trouble as Arsenal have a game in hand.

This has to be the worse run I have been on in my life as a football manager and my board have had it with me so if I get the sack that would be the first for a good few years.

Any advice would be much appreciated…

Also is it in my game or does Mr Ferdinand give away a lot of penalty kicks icon_mad.gif

If morale is really low you might as well start getting involved in the media with making comments about your next manager and all that kind of stuff.

Nowadays I avoid that like the plague because it is way too unpredictable in terms of whether your own players have a morale boost or fall apart because of you trying mind games in the media. If morale is already rock bottom though you've nothing to lose - it may boost the morale of a couple of key players who will put in an inspired performance to enable you to get a result => other player's morale improves, etc, etc.

I think i need to shoot my team first.. yea good idea dafuge did not think of that as I have not had to deal with a problem like this before..

Will try it when I get home form work, I must admit this is a different kind of challenge I did not think I will be facing managing a top team.

Examine your tactics, are you playing the best formation for your players attributes?

In the case of your next game consider what some manager's do when they don't want to lose games (different from wanting to win) e.g. 5 man midfield, full backs that don't attack (backward arrows to ensure they track back when defending against wingers), closing down all over the pitch, time wasting, specific tactics to opposition players, fast counter attack, look for goals at set pieces e.g. do you have your best jumpers attacking when you have a corner etc.

The number 1 thing to remember is that you need to consider tactics for every match. It may not need to be major changes or formation tweaks. You may even need to 'rough up' some players or give special marking / double team marking. No diffrenet to real life icon_biggrin.gif

Im currently in my second Season with Pompey. Finished 4th 2007/2008 and am currently top by 3 points and a game in hand over Arsenal after 10 matches. This is using the database as is. The bad news is I'm 300k in debt as a result of the funding for a new stadium. Saying that I'm bottom of my Champions League group icon_rolleyes.gif so there is never any guarantee of success

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

If morale is really low you might as well start getting involved in the media with making comments about your next manager and all that kind of stuff.

Nowadays I avoid that like the plague because it is way too unpredictable in terms of whether your own players have a morale boost or fall apart because of you trying mind games in the media. If morale is already rock bottom though you've nothing to lose - it may boost the morale of a couple of key players who will put in an inspired performance to enable you to get a result => other player's morale improves, etc, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I try to stay away from the media, like you said I don’t know how it will affect my own squad, the team moral is really poor at the moment and its understandable after a run like that.

I think I will try everything now just to get that win again, I think if I fail to win in my next 2-4 games then my managerial time at Old Trafford is coming to an end icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MrPompey:

Examine your tactics, are you playing the best formation for your players attributes?

In the case of your next game consider what some manager's do when they don't want to lose games (different from wanting to win) e.g. 5 man midfield, full backs that don't attack (backward arrows to ensure they track back when defending against wingers), closing down all over the pitch, time wasting, specific tactics to opposition players, fast counter attack, look for goals at set pieces e.g. do you have your best jumpers attacking when you have a corner etc.

The number 1 thing to remember is that you need to consider tactics for every match. It may not need to be major changes or formation tweaks. You may even need to 'rough up' some players or give special marking / double team marking. No diffrenet to real life icon_biggrin.gif

Im currently in my second Season with Pompey. Finished 4th 2007/2008 and am currently top by 3 points and a game in hand over Arsenal after 10 matches. This is using the database as is. The bad news is I'm 300k in debt as a result of the funding for a new stadium. Saying that I'm bottom of my Champions League group icon_rolleyes.gif so there is never any guarantee of success </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My tactics and formation is not the main problem I think, I never use the same tactics or formation, I have one for home matches and one for away, I have one which I use to play the last 20min of a game that I am winning and shut up shop, and one I use if I am chasing a game.

But for the Arsenal game I will have to use one which will counter their tactics and play a real tight game with a compact midfield, try to keep the game tight and might consider going for the win in the last quarter of the game if the socre is level or if I am loosing.

I have not lost to Arsenal for 3 seasons so this will be another turning point if I end up with another loose.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stevooo:

you could just go on holiday and let the ass man get you out of this for me hes never lost a game </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol I can never trust my Ass Man, i will find a solution for this or else end up like all manager who dont get the results with my P45...

If we hadn't just purged the forum, I'd link to one of my old posts on this.

Instead, I'm going to send you to FMGLive Forums' FM'08 FAQ, search for my user name and you'll find a section on "How do you halt a slump".

Oh heck, I wrote that, I'll cut and paste it here:

-----------------------------------------------

How do you halt a slump

There's a number of factors at play in a late-season run of poor form.

One, Morale has an impact on how team talks (HT and FT) are taken. So, if thought you had 'solved' team talks, and you had a great solution for a team on high morale, you may need to sort them out again for a team on low morale. (Just remember to go back to your old formula when Morale recovers!)

Two, Determination, professionalism, and experience has an impact on how well a player plays through a run of poor form, and how well a player plays when trailing. So, if you went out and got eleven great young players, well maybe they don't know how to fight through a losing streak. You might find some older, more seasoned players with worse apparent numbers play better during the poor spell.

Three, sitting players out after a poor showing seems to have a strong motivating effect on them: basically, they take it as 'I'm in danger of losing my first-team place', so that can help. (Especially if you have a veteran back-up, you can address points two and three simultaneously.)

Four, your captain has a huge effect. Before reading on forum, I selected captain by Influence. However, "Influence" should be read as 'potential influence', or 'the influence he will have when he's 36 and has been at your team for ten seasons.' An 18-year-old with 20 Influence who just joined the club may have some respect among the youth players, but does not have the respect of the veterans. The next point to consider is what Mental aspects he has: a high-Influence player can do harm rather than good if he is weak in other Mental attributes. I've found a lot more success picking my captain by Determination, Work Rate, and Composure, seeking a captain with a professional attitude, a veteran whose been with the team a long time. By that point, at League One he may only have 10 or 12 Influence, but that's okay: he's a force beneficial to the team.

Five, look to your tactics. I find I shade my tactics more defensive when I hit a losing streak: my theory is that if I grind out a few 0-0 results and 0-1 defeats, eventually I'll get lucky and grind out a 1-0 victory, and that can help turn around the Morale issue. In particular, I'll look to keep it 0-0 for seventy minutes, then bring on some fresh attacking players in the hopes that they can outrun and outwork the opposition defense to get the decisive breakthrough.

Finally, think about Condition and training. There's a number of different things that can 'go wrong' in this area - I'll run over a few common mistakes.

- over-emphasizing one or two areas for a single position. Most players on the pitch do need to contribute both offensively and defensively. You may want tailored training by position, but don't overdo it: you still want your defenders to be able to pass, for example, and Concentration, which helps a forward, is under the Defensive group.

- over- or under- training. If your players always have 100% condition by Tuesday after a Saturday match, you're probably under-training them, and could increase the Intensity of their training significantly. If your players haven't recovered to at least 95% condition by the Saturday after a Saturday match, you're definitely over-training them, and need to decrease the Intensity. Where you want it between those extremes is up to you, and depends on how much squad rotation you want to do.

- If Condition is dropping excessively in the individual matches, you might need more Strength training to counteract that effect. (Its especially useful to go an a serious Strength binge during pre-season, dropping off the deeper you get into the year.)

----------------------------------------------

That was actually written a while ago - now I'd also strongly recommend reading

Communication and Psychological Warfare

and Wolfsong's Guide to Team Talks

as they will both contain good information on this topic.

Thank you Amaroq for your time on this topic..

I have few players out on loan like paul scholes and Saha, Silverstry as I have signed replacements for them, I think its about time I recalled them back into my first team. I agree with you that experience can play a big part and my team at the moment apart from 3-4 players lacks experience.

Team moral is very low at the moment and I think I need to take more time in my team talks as I have neglected that section for a while… (I know team talks can make a big difference)

My training programme I think is very good so ill leave that as it is for now.

My tactics and formation as I have mentioned is more or less the way I want it, but I think I am going through the phase of chopping and changing too much, and I should really stick to something that is tried and tested. (Basic 4-4-2 with good team instructions) including focusing on defences more.

I think if I can get the team to win 1 or 2 matches then that could bring me back on track.

Will give feedback on how I get on.

I would add to the suggestions if you have some professional, determined, ambitious type players and their form isn't great give them a media bashing and see if you can get a response.

So slate them in the media then use the expect a performance team talk, but only if you feel their personality type will respond to this. If you still have Rooney I would guess this might work on him, although Ronaldo might be a little dodgy.

I'm not 100% on this being THE factor because of all of the variables involved but I have used this a few times to get out of a bad run. Might just have been a coincidence though icon_smile.gif

Scholes is, I think, a classic example of the type of player I'm talking about: that hard-working, determined "gamer" who always seems to play above his attributes.

Its a fairly common mistake, I think, to put together a team of wonderkids: we love to fall in love with them! But kids are so morale-dependent, what you wind up with is a team that'll run of 20 in a row without defeat, then ten in a row where you can't buy three points if you offer up your right arm and your firstborn child.

I'd been expounding on that theory for a while, and building teams of veterans that won lots ..

.. and then I went back kinda for fun and did the team of wonderkids: all except my GK were 18-22 years old, all "good enough" to play with the first team, and all brilliant PA players you'd recognize over in the Good Player and Team Guide .. and it went exactly like that: 26 without defeat, followed by a 0-4 thumping in a Champions League match, which triggered ten games without a win and elimination from every Cup I was in.

Since that was the same tactics, team talk style, etc, that I'd had successes with .. I figure it as verification of my "older backbone" theory!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Since that was the same tactics, team talk style, etc, that I'd had successes with .. I figure it as verification of my "older backbone" theory! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Coincidence or consequence?

The question that keeps FM challenging and frustrating in equal measure icon_wink.gif

I would add as well that it isn't necessarily just kids that fall to these morale swings but also particular personality types.

On my current game I had a 27 year old AM C who was very temperamental and his morale would dip against the general trend of the squad and be very difficult to get back up.

hi guys just to update you on what has been happening..

Just played Arsenal, my team played exactly the way i wanted them to play, they kept it really tight at the back, my midfield was very compact and we stopped Arsenal playing.

On the 73rd min Ronaldo was put through by a brilliant pass by Anderson he went around the keeper to make it 1-0.

82nd min from a Nani corner a powerful header Gerard Pique made it 2:0

86th Min my midfielder Nani gives away a silly free kick and along comes Robin Van Persie with an absolute blinder of a free kick to make it 2:1

Arsenal through everything at us, along comes the 90th min and i see 5 min of extra time added . (Dont have a clue where the ref got 5 min from)

93rd min Fabregas puts Theo Walcott clean through, one on one with the keeper and he fires wide.

Final Whistle goes and I somehow win my first game in 12 matches.

Well deserved victory to keep me in the job for a little while longer icon_smile.gif

I will now have Paul Scholes, Saha, Silvestre back from loan in time for my next game and hopfully Garry Neville will be back from injury.

cheers for all the feedback and suggestions guys icon14.gif

Well i did not change much, played a very defensive line up..

Put my veteran Van Der Sar in goal

in diffence i Playerd

RB: Wes Brown

LB: Evra

CB: Vidic

CB Ferdinand

DM: Gerard Pique

DM: Owen Hargrevaves

AMC: Anderson

RM: Ronaldo

LM: Nani

ST: Rooney

Team Instructions were focused more on defensive ... i did not want my full backs to go forward much,

Opposition player instructions were:

Robin Van Persie: Close down always / Tackle Hard

Fabregas: Close down always / Tackle Hard

Hleb: Close down always / Tackle Hard

Walcott: Close down always / Tackle Hard

Eduardo: Close down always / Tackle Hard

Rest was left as mixed..

Pre Match team talk was: You Can Win this game

Half Time Team Talk was:

General Team Talk: You can win this game

I have faith in you for: Ronaldo / Rooney / Anderson

Post Match Team Talk: I am thrilled (I think i said that)

Just another update

I have played 8 games since the Arsenal Game… My team is back to winning ways from my 8 games I have won 6, draw 1 and lost 1.

Results Below…

Man Utd 2 Derby 0

Aston Villa 1 Man Utd 2

Boro 0 Man Utd 1

Man Utd 2 Chelsea 2

Liverpool 1 Man Utd 2

Man Utd 4 Sunderland 1

Man Utd 1 Everton 2

Spurs 0 Man Utd 1

My position is now stable at the club, my team’s moral is high and above all we are performing on the pitch. My team is sitting 2nd in the league with 3 points behind Arsenal, so the title race is back on.

Another dilemma I have now is that I have been offered the Inter Milan Post, I am thinking about what to do, I don’t want to walk away from my team as I have overcome a big problem.

What would you do in this position??

I hate this game for this reason.

When you start on a losing streak, you are F-'ed. You have no chance, especially when you're managing a lower level team. I finished 6th one year with Weston-super-mare, then went on this ridiculous 20 game losing streak where I tried everything and nothing worked.

I had attributes-wise the best team in the BSS, but of course, that means for Jack in this game.

Uh .. Sublime?

Do go back up and re-read my longest post ..

Morale has an impact, and I used to think that the impact was "too much" as you have just stated .. but after figuring out the things I have posted, my teams never seem to go on extended losing binges the way they did before I figured that out.

Archived