Maximum international goals (BUG)

Hi guys

Is there a limit on international goals a player can score? England have a 30 year old striker who is the top goal scorer for England.. he reached his 255 goal international goal in 223 appereance, as soon as he hit his 256th goal his total goals for England reset to 0...

(I know 256 is a lot of goals to score but it should not reset surely right...

Excuse me if I'm wrong, please, but based on the assumption that a national team plays, on average, 12 games a year, your 30 year old would have had to be playing for England since the age of around 12... seems unrealistic to me.

Oh, and sorry to not answer the question, I'm not sure what the answer may be.

Originally posted by Abs_UK:

Hi guys

Is there a limit on international goals a player can score? England have a 30 year old striker who is the top goal scorer for England.. he reached his 255 goal international goal in 223 appereance, as soon as he hit his 256th goal his total goals for England reset to 0...

(I know 256 is a lot of goals to score but it should not reset surely right...

Theres a coding "end point" which is, as you've found out 255. It happens with all entities that aren't expected to be too high, as it takes a lot of space in the game to add extras (I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be able to explain that better)

So yea, basically Caps, Goals, Team goals per season (Found on manager overview screen) etc will all be reset to 0 when they have reached 255.

Radon - I had a player, Gareth Black, a Regen from FM06 who his nearly 280 international goals by the age of 28. When you're the manager of England, you can create the friendlies, and put them all against teams like San Marino, Seychelles, etc etc, and get 10-0 scorelines very often.

Hi guys.. Thanks for the reply

Radon number one he is not my player and number 2 I am not the England Manager, but i like to keep track of records and stats in my game so i have no idea how this fella has reached the number of appereances for England that he has made...

I have tried to sign him in the past many times and His club Arsenal do not want to sell him to me...

He was on my short list so when i got the message that he was delighted to have broken his international duck i decided to check his profile and noticed that his stats have gone to 0...

Well unlucky for the guy as he has to start scoring all over again lol..

Computer memory is just a bunch of switches. They hold 2 states. On or off which in binary is 1 and 0.

Each switch in memory is a bit. 1 byte equals 8 bits. That's 8 switches that can hold one of 2 states which gives 256 possible binary combinations which can represent a number range of 255.

Variables have to be assigned a type when programmed. Different types take up different amounts of memory and can represent different number ranges. So the programmers assumed no one would ever get higher than 255 and assigned a type that allowed for single byte storage only. Otherwise you are taking up what would be unnecessary memory for the vast majority of the players (in most save games probably all of them).

It's the same thing that happens with the 2 billion bug.

Originally posted by Radon:

It wasn't the goals, it was the number of appearances that were suspect to me. If I'm wrong, then sorry, but all I was saying is that 233 caps seems a lot!!!

Again, pretty easy. Assume you can play on average 12 games per season, (more if you progress in tournaments) - and you blood a player at 16. Thats a minimum of 14 years international experience, so long as you are the manager.

14 x 12 = 168 caps at 30. If the player plays for another 5 or 6 years, he could easily achieve that.

Originally posted by Radon:

It wasn't the goals, it was the number of appearances that were suspect to me. If I'm wrong, then sorry, but all I was saying is that 233 caps seems a lot!!!

if they have a lot of friendlies, start at a young age and are in tournaments like the confederations cup it can add up. also england sometimes play in the copa america (might be the north america gold cup actually) on FM so that will add to it aswell.

Guest arrogantio

Much like the finances resetting to negative numbers, the real problem is not the existence of a hardcoded limit, but the fact that the game is programmed in ways which allow players to reach it.

A match engine is giving strikers more goals than games over a 200+ international cap career is seriously flawed. And there is no reason why any player ought to be playing 18+ international games every season (which any 30 year old with 220 England caps must have done). The real life England team would play 17 fixtures this season if they were able to reach the European Championship final. Last season they played 11 fixtures.

256 caps might be just about be achievable for a superplayer from a nation with a small playing pool who are nevertheless good enough to qualify for continental competions. The solution to the reset here would be to auto-retire players from international football after a set number of caps

(Ideally I'd design the system to auto-retire on 245 caps except if their nation is about to play in a major international competition - because it would be daft for a player to autoretire on 255 caps on the eve of or midway through an intenational tournament)

Archived