Where have all the forum users gone?

Hey,

Since my latest return to the game and these forums, I am really dissapointed to see that there almost no one around anymore.

What happened? Is it a case of 2009 being to tough and people have given up? or something else?

These forums have been the life blood of the game for me since I can remember and now its really quite depressing that people rarely post here.

Have SI taken this into consideration? Are they perhaps worried that their loyal customers have waned? or..... is everyone posting elsewhere?

LAM

Hey,

Since my latest return to the game and these forums, I am really dissapointed to see that there almost no one around anymore.

What happened? Is it a case of 2009 being to tough and people have given up? or something else?

These forums have been the life blood of the game for me since I can remember and now its really quite depressing that people rarely post here.

Have SI taken this into consideration? Are they perhaps worried that their loyal customers have waned? or..... is everyone posting elsewhere?

LAM

Correct me if I am wrong but did you not post this in a forum where other threads are? Therefore rubbishing your point completely?

I have to admit, these forums have been surprisingly quiet considering FM10 is just a few weeks from release.

I think there are a couple of reasons for this;

- There are a lot of forums to post in, so there are less and less subjects appropriate for this forum.

- A lot of people were dissapointed in FM09, so some may not be playing FM

- Often, there are threads that get quite long rather than lots of little threads. There are lots of threads with 50+ posts, something which didn't happen much when I joined. This means that, whilst it appears to be less busy, there is still conversation going on.

- The on-off moderation can make people a bit worried about what they will get infracted for. Sometimes swearing is punished, sometimes it isn't. Same for a lot of things. Also, there can be no mods around one day then a bunch of them the next :D

- Some users, both experienced and new, can get a bit annoyed at people, creating an atmosphere

- There seem to be a lot of people using bad grammar, Such As Capitalising The First OR EVERY LETTERS, using, excessive, commas, bad spileng, txt spk and generally other things

Wow, I just made the forums seem terrible. I do like them, fwiw!

I don't think 460 people currently viewing this forum is it being slow frankly. People might be posting, but the activity is high still.

Compare that to some of the competitors forums. The GQ has more than the entire forums of the competitors currently. (Having just checked)

I have to admit, these forums have been surprisingly quiet considering FM10 is just a few weeks from release.

I think there are a couple of reasons for this;

- There are a lot of forums to post in, so there are less and less subjects appropriate for this forum.

- A lot of people were dissapointed in FM09, so some may not be playing FM

- Often, there are threads that get quite long rather than lots of little threads. There are lots of threads with 50+ posts, something which didn't happen much when I joined. This means that, whilst it appears to be less busy, there is still conversation going on.

- The on-off moderation can make people a bit worried about what they will get infracted for. Sometimes swearing is punished, sometimes it isn't. Same for a lot of things. Also, there can be no mods around one day then a bunch of them the next :D

- Some users, both experienced and new, can get a bit annoyed at people, creating an atmosphere

- There seem to be a lot of people using bad grammar, Such As Capitalising The First OR EVERY LETTERS, using, excessive, commas, bad spileng, txt spk and generally other things

Wow, I just made the forums seem terrible. I do like them, fwiw!

Some good points there and ones I agree with. I personally have stopped posting in GD in particularly because of certain people posting condasending drivel and generally trolling the place and to be honest I just can't be bothered to post because it would soon turn into another pointless argument. I tend to spend most of my time now in the new careers forum as I find it a better and more interesting place to visit/read/post.

Some good points there and ones I agree with. I personally have stopped posting in GD in particularly because of certain people posting condasending drivel and generally trolling the place and to be honest I just can't be bothered to post because it would soon turn into another pointless argument. I tend to spend most of my time now in the new careers forum as I find it a better and more interesting place to visit/read/post.

The correct spelling is condescending, dear boy ;)

Correct me if I am wrong but did you not post this in a forum where other threads are? Therefore rubbishing your point completely?

Well..... I think maybe I found the answer.....

I love people that beleive because they have a large number of posts they are entitled to be rude and obnoxious.

If you take the post in the context in which it is written, then you will understand that, of course there are still people here.... but clearly my point was that its alot quieter than it was previously. I am normaly a resident of the Tactics forums, and I can assure that it is alot quieter in there.

Someone else made a point that there are more responses to lesser threads and I agree with this, but the responses do seem to be focused on the 'download a tactic' threads, which is, of course, peoples perogative.

Rb, I understand that there may be a lot of people viewing the forums, as I myself have the main page open all day at work..... its just there really has been so few posts..... again, this may be limited to the tactical forums. I posted some responses a few days ago and these are still listed on the front page when no one else has responded.

I was just getting a little worried for SI is all......

I hope these forums come back to life

LAm

Well..... I think maybe I found the answer.....

I love people that beleive because they have a large number of posts they are entitled to be rude and obnoxious.

I don't think that having any number of posts entitles anyone to act in a rude or obnoxious manner, not in any way, shape or form. I also don't believe I was rude or obnoxious. Whilst I may have been a little glib, my point still stands: There is plenty of discussion still going on. I feel you are just moaning for the sake of moaning

There is a space of no news between the blogs days and the demo. This dead period induce some of us to wait.

In addition mods have recently closed some burning threads therefore now there are only banal and boring threads, until the demo comes out, IMO.

I don't think that having any number of posts entitles anyone to act in a rude or obnoxious manner, not in any way, shape or form. I also don't believe I was rude or obnoxious. Whilst I may have been a little glib, my point still stands: There is plenty of discussion still going on. I feel you are just moaning for the sake of moaning

Moaning for the sake of moaning? wow.... this is the first post where I have ever been accused of that and I feel that I have contributed well to these forums historically, and should you ever bother to check out my posts, you will see just that!

In relation to their still being plenty of discussion going on..... at no point did I say there was NO discussion taking place, I merely pointed out that its far far quieter that it was previously.... and maybe I am in the wrong, maybe this section is okay, but as I mentioned in my reply, the tactical thread is dead.

I guess I should drag my sorry a$$ out of here and back into the tactical forum.

LAM

Calm before the storm is right. I personally stopped posting in the forums this year after I got to grips with FM09 tactically. I'm sure they'll be a lot of people like me who have millions of issues to discuss once FM10 comes out and people will be flooding back to the forums (for better or worse). :p

That's a load of rubbish, now bow down to me.

that comment wasn't meant for you. But I like your reply..... but I bow to no man! 8O)

Calm before the storm is right. I personally stopped posting in the forums this year after I got to grips with FM09 tactically. I'm sure they'll be a lot of people like me who have millions of issues to discuss once FM10 comes out and people will be flooding back to the forums (for better or worse). :p

Yeah.... I see your point, but I just remember the forums being so much busier throughout the period between games. I don't ever recall a lull like we have now, but i guess maybe, as I mentioned before, its limited to the tactical forums.

I guess a time comes where you either get it and do not need that forum or you download a tactic from it! Either way, you get to a point where advice is not needed.

LAM

Moaning for the sake of moaning? wow.... this is the first post where I have ever been accused of that and I feel that I have contributed well to these forums historically, and should you ever bother to check out my posts, you will see just that!

Wow, inflated sense of self-importance or what?

Whether you are "historically" a good poster or not, does not give you the right to twist my words and make me seem like some jumped up moron who thinks that because I have more posts than you that I am superior. As far as I can see, the only person here who seems to think they are superior to anyone else is you

So... you still beleive this reply;

"Correct me if I am wrong but did you not post this in a forum where other threads are? Therefore rubbishing your point completely? "

is productive to a thread where most people (other than you) have responded in agreement but have posted reasons for why they feel it is quiet..... which,after all was the point of my post.... hence the reason for me asking my questions. You did see all of the question marks in my post didnt you?

I made a statement and asked some questions and then I get your reply. Can you possibly imagine why I might be feeling the way I am?

My accusations are based on fact.... your reply...........

Actualy, I really cant be bothered with writing this post to you any more. Apologies for stopping it halfway through.

To everyone else.... thanks for answering, I have confidence that its going to come alive again... which was all I was looking for.

Hope to see some of you in the tactical forums at some point!

LAM

• SI Staff

I wouldn't worry about it. With our extended beta testing this year we have a lot of the forum regulars posting in that section rather than here. I'm sure things will pick up once people get their hands on the game. :)

I wouldn't worry about it. With our extended beta testing this year we have a lot of the forum regulars posting in that section rather than here. I'm sure things will pick up once people get their hands on the game. :)

Ah yes.... I was chatting with (someone).... another big tactics forum poster and he mentioned that some of the other big names were off testing.... I think you guys grabbed (someone that will not be mentioned) !!!

So.... i guess the question will be - how close to perfection is it going to be when it arrives? Personaly I have never really had a problem with the bugs as most of them get sorted out over time. But it is nice to see that you guys are trying to sort that!

LAM

That's really not fair of xxxxxx. Some people have chosen not to be known as testers, and he shouldn't be telling randomers who is testing the game.

Thats a good point buddy. It was in a chat, not on a thread and I was asking where (the person in question) had gone. He didnt say he definately was a tester, just that he thought he was.

I have edited my post, as your remarks are spot on!

Can you edit yours please? cheers

LAM

i agree with you totally, The career forum is much better i spend my time there mostly. I just cant wait for FM10 to come out to start my career story.

If memory serves, each year around now, interest in the current game, in this case, FM'09, seems to tail off a little. This being because of the new game, FM'10 being only a week or two away. I think it is down to human nature. The King is dead, long live the King!, springs to mind.

I think its a number of things, some of which have been mentioned.

1) A lot of people are testing the game, as Ter said.

2) People generally get bored/frustrated/annoyed at all the questions about FM10, that in reality not many people know the answers to such as computer specs, features in-game.

3) Selective modding. I got infracted for something that i have seen other users do (unpunished) countless times which can be seen as unfair. However i threw a paddy and went away from the forums for a bit, now i'm back (obviously)

4) Poor spelling/grammar. Whilst i appreciate some users may not use English as a first language (kudos for trying :thup:), some posts can be written poorly, unpunctuated and can be generally hard to understand. Im not sure about others, but this turns me off a thread straight away if its a struggle to read.

5) As Jammy said, more relevant forums to post in diluting the quantity of people posting in each, previously larger, forum.

Perhaps the tactics forum is quiet because nobody needs new tactics what with the new 'tactics wizard' coming out with FM10 in a few weeks. Or maybe they all read wwfan's TT&F and now have all the tactical knowledge they need to succeed.

I reckon the tactics forum will be buzzing again when the new game comes out.

Perhaps the tactics forum is quiet because nobody needs new tactics what with the new 'tactics wizard' coming out with FM10 in a few weeks. Or maybe they all read wwfan's TT&F and now have all the tactical knowledge they need to succeed.

I reckon the tactics forum will be buzzing again when the new game comes out.

Sort of. I think its more a case of people "calming down" on 09 so they aren't in such need of tactics right now. Your right though, im sure the forums will be 'lively' again once FM10 comes out!

I cant wait for the 1st goal to be conceded by me. I'll be straight on here as surely its a bug and i'll need to let SI know how they have robbed me of money and dignity and killed my parents ;)

Sort of. I think its more a case of people "calming down" on 09 so they aren't in such need of tactics right now. Your right though, im sure the forums will be 'lively' again once FM10 comes out!

I cant wait for the 1st goal to be conceded by me. I'll be straight on here as surely its a bug and i'll need to let SI know how they have robbed me of money and dignity and killed my parents ;)

That was pretty much my point. When I first got FM09 I spent a lot of time in Tactics & Training, but haven't actually been in there since about July, these days just go into GD, EH and joining many challenges in CSE.

I think its because most people have stopped playing 09, because they are waiting for 10 to come out. I for one wont start a new game now that I would have to stop playing in 3 weeks. And when I am not playing, I simply dont think about the game enough to come up with topics and such. That is why I am inactive at the moment.

Its probably like has been said, people having less things left to say about 09, and gradually awaiting 10. Plus with the patches there's less for people to moan about. I guess its similar to the football365 mailbox, which is traditionally slow on a friday because all the topics from the previous weekend have beem mostly exhausted.

Nah, it's like this every year. There's no point discussing things to go into FM2010 because everybody is in limbo, waiting to see what's in the next version before starting the "What I want to see in FM2011" threads.

Judging by the OTF thread, it's not because everybody has migrated to CM2010!

"When is the demo out?" threads are being brutally stamped out. Anyway, when the demo gets released (which can probably be expected in days rather than weeks!) we'll be inundated with "Is the demo compatibile with the main game"? and "When will the first patch be coming out?" threads. No to mention a week of grieviences with the activation and download systems, plus whatever issue gets jumped on early (pick one of injuries/super keepers/hitting the woodwork...)

The only difference I see from previous years is that all the "demo/"release date/copy protection discussion (I use that term loosely):D is staying in the two threads created for the purpose.

That's due to a combination of forethought from Matt/Miles etc and a compliment to the forum discipline of so many users compared with previous years.

Nah, it's like this every year. There's no point discussing things to go into FM2010 because everybody is in limbo, waiting to see what's in the next version before starting the "What I want to see in FM2011" threads.

Judging by the OTF thread, it's not because everybody has migrated to CM2010!

"When is the demo out?" threads are being brutally stamped out. Anyway, when the demo gets released (which can probably be expected in days rather than weeks!) we'll be inundated with "Is the demo compatibile with the main game"? and "When will the first patch be coming out?" threads. No to mention a week of grieviences with the activation and download systems, plus whatever issue gets jumped on early (pick one of injuries/super keepers/hitting the woodwork...)

Oh ye of little faith:D

I lurk but do not post, I think a lot of people choose to do so now, on the topic of fm2010 I will do as I have done for fm2009 and wait until Jan/Feb next year to buy it, it will be cheaper and the 3 patch will be out by then including the January transfers and is when I think it is at its best. I got sick of coming on and getting frustrated at the early release of the game so think this is the best method.

I lurk but do not post, I think a lot of people choose to do so now, on the topic of fm2010 I will do as I have done for fm2009 and wait until Jan/Feb next year to buy it, it will be cheaper and the 3 patch will be out by then including the January transfers and is when I think it is at its best. I got sick of coming on and getting frustrated at the early release of the game so think this is the best method.

Ive thought about this too but curiosity and the feeling of being left out gets the better of me. I promised myself i'd wait till christmas to get it so my wife can give me FM as a present, but now im just going to go and get it anyway i reckon.

Archived