Steam, Is it any good?

With only a few weeks left until the release of FM10, I'm being to ponder about which format to have. I've currently got my copy pre-ordered on play.com, but am now contemplating whether to cancel and get the steam version. What would people recommend I've always had the discs and never used steam, is it time for me to convert, or would this be just plain stupid?

I've used Steam for the first time last year and I have to say, it worked great. No cd needed and the game will automatically update when SI brings out new patches. There's a small app that runs in the taskbar but it doesn't take up much memory and you don't have to have the steam app running to play the game.

I'll be using Steam for all future FM releases...

With only a few weeks left until the release of FM10, I'm being to ponder about which format to have. I've currently got my copy pre-ordered on play.com, but am now contemplating whether to cancel and get the steam version. What would people recommend I've always had the discs and never used steam, is it time for me to convert, or would this be just plain stupid?

No need to cancel your order with play.com (although zavvi are offering the game cheaper!) but if you have steam installed it means you can authenticate with steam which means that you dont need the cd in your drive all the time. Also as others have said steam will automatically update your game with any patches that become available.

Steam's always been fine for me. You'd be best buying a disc and then installing it via steam (instead of purchasing straight from steam) as that will almost certainly be cheaper. Plus then you've always got the option of using a standard disc installation if you have problems with steam.

dirtyscarab, you can stop the little app that runs in the taskbar from starting up everytime - there's an option in steam somewhere. That way, it only runs if you want to play a game, not all the time.

The only benefit from Steam is not having to use the disk at all times. While that's all well and good, FM takes up so much of RAM that trying to do anything else with a different disk at the same time as the game being up, is neigh on impossible.

Oh and try Zavvi, they have it going at £18.

am i right in thinking steam will have the game on midnight of release day?

For the vast majority of games on steam you get to download it before release. Then at midnight on release day, the game is "released", meaning the "play game" option becomes enabled.

I've only started using STEAM for just over a year now and I have become a fan of it - No more boxes of software laying around the house - Not only that but the other half doesn't know when I have new titles in my inventory (unless she looks over my shoulder and questions why she's never seen me play that game before :D ).

I've only started using STEAM for just over a year now and I have become a fan of it - No more boxes of software laying around the house - Not only that but the other half doesn't know when I have new titles in my inventory (unless she looks over my shoulder and questions why she's never seen me play that game before :D ).

Tell her she is nosey and she should but out if it. Then throw a cup against the wall and storm out :D

If your the type of bloke who likes going down to the store and getting the game in the box with manual on release day and if your playing FM on the laptop wherever you go i.e. train,plane, business trips... then DON'T get steam. If your the type of guy who likes a change from going to the store and buying the copy of FM and play FM only in your house on the desktop/laptop with internet connection then GET steam.

My verdict is, getting FM in the box on release day and being simple and straight forward is easier than steam, so I don't use it.

I have steam and its cool, however I don't like how they handle FM on steam, you only had a set number of activations, so if for whatever reasons I formatted my PC 6 times and had to install FM 6 times, it would no longer activate.

Is that true?

That's just ridiculous, if i buy the game i should be able to reinstall it whenever i want. this is actually one of the advantages of Steam, you can download your games anytime you want.

Will this happen in FM10 too? Already pre-ordered in Steam.

Is that true?

That's just ridiculous, if i buy the game i should be able to reinstall it whenever i want. this is actually one of the advantages of Steam, you can download your games anytime you want.

Will this happen in FM10 too? Already pre-ordered in Steam.

In this case I advise (not just with FM, but any game - just to be sure) that you uninstall any game before reformating a machine - If the title is set to 'x' amount of activations then you are free one of those activations by uninstalling the software (Probably need to be connected to the Internet when uninstalling)

Exactly what Paul said - apparently, I've not bought a new game for years, I'm such a good boy ;)

In this case I advise (not just with FM, but any game - just to be sure) that you uninstall any game before reformating a machine - If the title is set to 'x' amount of activations then you are free one of those activations by uninstalling the software (Probably need to be connected to the Internet when uninstalling)

So i can reintall many times i want, that's cool :cool:

Thanks for the response.

Archived