2010 vs 2009 match engine

Hey,

Does anyone know if there are going to be any changes to the actual match engine and how instructions are interpretted?

Basicaly, I now have a firm grip on FM2009 and am wondering if 2010 will be as 2009 was to me when I moved to it from 2008.....ie unplayable for many months!

I know they have listed a great many changes, but I don't know if the match engine has been changed.

On another seperate, but similar note - what engine does FMLive use?

LAM

Yes there have been changes to the FM10 match engine. FML currently uses an advanced version of the FM08 engine. However as of 1.3 (which is released on wednesday) it will be moving over to the FM10 match engine :)

thanks Rb,

Is the change as dramitc as it was from 2008 to 2009?

I felt that the game a massive step forwards in that change and as I mentioned earlier, I have now got to grips with it. I just want to know if I am going to be able to 'jump in' and play from the off, or if there is going to be a 'learning' stage again.

I doubt I'll be using the wizard.... hence the reason for the question.

LAM

lam-

I think there will need to be an adjusting phrase, but I think it will be less than last year. For one, there are the new instructions such as cutting inside. I'd imagine these will have minor effects on some other instructions (I'd imagine width and crossing will be the most affected). There will probably be a few tweaks to suit the wizard.

does anyone know if the camera flashes will be in the game or not? it was extremely irritating in the videos. I mean, you never see that many and that big camera flashes in real football games.

SI quickly said it would be toned down. Let's wait and see exactly what that means.

ME for FM10 is polished - 100+ new animations and some slicker play. No big changes though.

I've been promised the space aliens that beam down to score last minute winners against the run of play will be included this year. Looking forward to that.

thanks Rb,

Is the change as dramitc as it was from 2008 to 2009?

I felt that the game a massive step forwards in that change and as I mentioned earlier, I have now got to grips with it. I just want to know if I am going to be able to 'jump in' and play from the off, or if there is going to be a 'learning' stage again.

I doubt I'll be using the wizard.... hence the reason for the question.

LAM

The wizard is essentially a new more friendly version of using the the sliders. I've played incarnations of the new match engine within the FML beta and I must say its been improved again. I haven't however played anything of FM10 yet, so until I see it in that environment I honestly don't know :)

Why won't you use the wizard out of interest? :confused:

C.

I just feel kinda like its cheating.

I think I understand the game well enough now and want to work with the sliders more.

I guess I will play around with them, but I will only be looking at them in relation to getting an understanding of how the game interprets information. ie I know what I want from a holding midfield player but I am interested to see how the game translates that when I tick the relevenat box.

Someone mentioned in another post that the wizard is available now, is it?

LAM

I just feel kinda like its cheating.

I think I understand the game well enough now and want to work with the sliders more.

I guess I will play around with them, but I will only be looking at them in relation to getting an understanding of how the game interprets information. ie I know what I want from a holding midfield player but I am interested to see how the game translates that when I tick the relevenat box.

Someone mentioned in another post that the wizard is available now, is it?

LAM

The tactics creator is customisable, so you aren't restricted to just using the settings you are given. For instance, if you want to play around with the holding midfield player settings, it is very simple to go through the interface to tick the boxes and change the wizard settings. This will then make changes to every set in the tactic that you use (i.e. it will keep your own holding midfielder settings as you switch from 'attack' to 'defend' or whatever).

I think you'll actually love it once you see it. It makes things so much easier to set up and then you can spend the time playing around and customising the settings it gives you without having to save numerous versions of the tactic. Personally, I think you'll be surprised and enjoy using it.

The only downside is that, at present, you cannot easily customise your own mentality structures or passing schemes for instance. But apparently it is something that will be worked on for the future.

I was a sceptic like you and somebody who thought 'I'm not letting WWFan tell me exactly how I should set up my sliders... grrrrr' (sure he will laugh if he reads this :D). But actually, it's moved far beyond that. It's actually a great addition to the game, making it so much easier to switch between different versions.

Before the introduction of the tactics creator, I would create a new tactics set (say a 4-3-3) and then play with that for a couple of seasons before getting bored and deciding on a new project. There would then be a huge lull in my game as I got around to creating a new tactics set and customising everything I wanted from it. I would maybe have a week of not playing so that I could design everything I wanted in my new tactic (e.g. 4-2-3-1) and test it out in a few friendly matches or whatever. This could be a fun process for me as a self-confessed football nerd, but it could also be quite a laborious and frustrating process too. Now, with the introduction of the wizard, a lot of the mucking around will be done for me, and I can concentrate on making adjustments as I see fit rather than taking ages over creating the set from scratch.

For me, if the ability to fully customise all of the settings is added in the future, which SI have mentioned is their intention, then this tactical interface will be almost perfect. As it is, it is going to make FM a lot more fun for most users, who can easily switch between the various tactics, and there is still room for people like us (who love our sliders!) to make adjustments simply by clicking 'advanced' and ticking a few tick boxes in order to gain access to the sliders!

Regards,

C.

P.S. By the way, I don't believe that any version of the tactics creator is 'out'. I think the person who said about a tactics wizard was probably referring to the TT&F '09 tactics wizard spreadsheet, which can be found on T&TT forums.

Regards,

C.

The tactics wizard is already being used in FML :), in fact as of tomorrow the exact version that will be in FM10 will be in FML also.

Pretty sure it won't be the exact version Rb, for two reasons. One, I was led to believe that the tactics creator had to be rebuilt for FM, because the layering between FM and FML is different. And two, I think that FML actually has different numbered sliders compared to FM (there are 21 notches in FML compared to 20 in FM) and also different labels associated with those sliders (i.e. more or less attacking and defensive notches, I cannot remember which). So the actual settings for the FM version of the wizard are different.

Although , it might be that they are completely altering FML to incorporate the new wizard, in which case I stand corrected. :D

Regards,

C.

Archived