Total Uninstall

Hey guys, a quick search through the forums didn't get me an answer to my problem so a new thread it is.

Basically my FM started running and responding quite slow so I decided upon a reinstall. After an uninstall - restart PC - install I loaded up the game and got an error along the lines of "Could not open 9.3.0 database", thats no problem, as I hadnt installed the patch yet. However that error worried me as surely it shouldnt be looking for a 9.3.0 database after a clean install?

So I uninstalled again, searched the registry for sportsinteractive, no entries, searched my hard drive and deleted the folders that were left over (it was close to 4GB of data by the way) and installed again.

As you can probably guess, by the fact that I've started this thread, I got the same error as above. Something I just remembered aswell is that the name of my last game is still in the Load Last Game area, another indication that not everything has been deleted.

So my question is, what exactly do I have to delete to make sure I can get it all off my system? I am fairly computer literate so any suggestions should be able to be carried out.

Im running Win7 Professional x64 if that is of any use to anybody.

Thanks in advance.

Im running Win7 Professional x64 if that is of any use to anybody.

I'll have it if you dont want it!

Seriously though, are you starting a new save with your clean install or trying to continue an old save. If its continuing an old save then the save will be looking for the patch, if it's starting a new save then I don't know the answer off the top of my head.

Sorry I should have made it clearer in my post, that error comes up when I first start the game, before all the splash screens. :)

I've backed up my old save and graphics to a second hard drive so I could transfer them across.

I have just remember something else aswell (I'm getting old and senile), there are 2 Sports Interactive folders in my Documents folder, one is the usual and the second has 3 folders in, off the top of my head db, skins and tactics all of which are empty.

The obvious thing there is that you cant have 2 folders with exactly the same name!

Something I just remembered aswell is that the name of my last game is still in the Load Last Game area, another indication that not everything has been deleted.

That suggests you did not delete the cache folder. Haven't a clue where Windows7 puts these things but in XP

C: Documents and Settings/<User Name>/Application Data/Sports Interactive

so whatever the logical equivalent is in your operating system is (try searching for folders named Sports Interactive).

Also in XP/Vista you need administrative rights and ensure hidden files and folders are made visible to find it.

Thanks Isuckatfm, I think I may have found the folder you speak of.

If anyone else has the problem, on Win7 the cache folder is found:

C: Users/<User Name>/AppData/Roaming/Sports Interactive/ Football Manager 2009

Just as a side note, I noticed the machine.txt file in the logs folder, and most of the info is wrong, for example it says I'm using 32-bit architecture, but I'm using 64-bit :)

maybe there is something wrong with the registry where some info about FM09 might not have been removed entirely.

I remember with an earlier version the registry entry wasn't removed properly and would always insist on having the latest patch, thereby not allowing me to install it :(

I think 'regedit' was the command to access it. If that is the same, search the document for Football Manager and then manually re-set all 9.3.0 values to 9.0.0 and then install the latest patch. That should fix the problem too. :)

Archived