A question to SI

So, for you it is diffucult to make Team-talks withhin the match, so that I can speak to my players during the first half? Now look, I am the ONE how was reloading one single match for 30 times. So, I relaise, that, sometimes the games go good, but in some reloads, when your first players strike a good chance above the goal, your chacnes for the 45 minutes are: 75% it will go above the goal; 20%the goal GK will hold it, and 5% it will be a goal.

So, why do YOU don't let me talk with my players within the first half of the game? I want to say to this idiots who are making so much mistakes, and not to all, because, this mistakes is (I think by the game) taking every plaers then, to shoot the ball above or beheind the goal. This is inpossible! In my reload, this players, are shooting on the goal. SO, IT IS INPOSSIBEL THAT 7 PLAYERS ARE NOT ABLE TO SHOOT THE BALL ON THE GOAL!!!!!!

I didn't say it good.

Look, when I reload, and I play, and my first chance goes wide above the goal, every single chance after that, are going the same way. Staistic: shoots 11; on goal: 2

Now, I reload, the same tactics, the same everything. I shoot ON the goal, the GK hold. After that, the players are cappeble to shoot on the goal, and not above. Why is this? BEcause the statistic are: 14 shoots; 8-10 on goal. So, why is this so? why does my first shooter depend of shooting of my other players?

The fundamental reason these stats can vary so wildly is that a football match is a chaotic system. An event that can go either way in the first minute can have an immediate effect that then ripples out to a bigger effect a couple of minutes later, until eventually the two matches bear no resemblance.

ensar13 - you have some serious anger issues associated with FM. It seems that every time something goes against you, you come on here to moan about it in the same chaotic and (oddly enough) soporific fashion.

You then attempt to stir up some controversy by saying:

for other kids, how after school are watching pokeman and playing FM, please DON'T ANSWER this question. I don't want stupid commentar.

Thank you :)

Are you just looking for a reaction? Have you even tried to "think outside the box" here and approach the game from a different angle?

From what I read from your threads, you lose a match then proceed to reload the game over and over again to build up a totally unrealistic dossier from which to back up your outlandish claims instead of taking the defeat on the chin and moving on. You never know, you might just win the next match (if you ever let the game progress that far) and then all would be well with the world.

Without trying to be funny, it might just be your tactics. You could visit the Tactics and Training forum, read a few threads in there, ask for advice, apply new ideas to the game and see how it goes. :thup:

Seriously, calm down :)

but, when something goes wrong, WHY can't I tolk with my players? Because, I know the tactics is good, but my players are down with morale because of the lead of 0:1 or 1:0; I want to calm them down, to tell them the tactics is good, just be focus on the game.

BUT SI are asking me to change the tacits, because, the opponent made a goal, so I have to change the tactics. But why? I just want (I am watching everytime the moral of my players) to give them moral, to give the siccurancy that they will win this match if they are calm and follow my instruction.

ensar13 - you have some serious anger issues associated with FM. It seems that every time something goes against you, you come on here to moan about it in the same chaotic and (oddly enough) soporific fashion.

I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM. I had this problem in my season 2. And their it is to begin, sample are shoot on goal whic the GK or the post hold and the ball goes straight (90 degrees) from goal in the sky?????? And then it begin with this stupid movement, decision, and so the way. I don't like it. I playd my first year SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD! It was everything perfect, except one thing when germen league (Bundesliga) was played in april when the national team were, but it is ok. But now, in season 2, everything is going wrong. The AI is making so much stupid things.

I am not complaing of something doing my tactics, please, be cool. I just want SI to look after that. Because, it is not normal that players are able to play, and in one other reloads they are not capeble to shoot on goal. So, this means that the players ability has nothing to do whit ONE OF THE TEAM PLAYERS to do. Because, when he miss, everyone after him will miss (I don't accept: 12 miss, 3 shoots on goal, and when lucky 1 goal. And when I reload, 8 shotts, 6 on goals, 4 goal.)

So, to all of you, when you have a big game. Just save it before, and then try it for 10 times, and let it see what it will come out.

Just a example. Try it. Because, I got very interresting result. hehe. And it doesn't give the realitibilty of the game, just a game wheere you can be the best for your self.

Also - using block capitals on an internet forum makes it appear that you are shouting, which is very rude and won't get the type of conversation you are hoping for. Or it will, depending on what you're after.

my block capitals, are to make people notice for this thema (when you are on univesity you will get it), and my english is badfull, because I am a bosnian guy how lived in Italy, played football in Italy, then lived in Germany, played football in Germany, and then lived in Bosnien, played football in Bosnien. Now I am living in Austria.

So, I am speaking Italian, Serbo-kroatian, German, English, and which laguage are you speaking???? So don't attack me of my english beacuase I have 4 other in my head.

Are you taking into consideration the information surrounding the actual shots made?

i.e Are they shots being taking from a long way out?

Is there alot of distractions(defenders) in the road?

Does he have a clear view when he shoots?

Is he on a good angle to the goal?

Do the shooters have good composure?

So many things can affect the final outcome.

And as for your children/pokemon comment... I take offence.

I have Playhouse Disney playing in my house almost 24/7 (right now is Tigger & Pooh)

yet I can piece together decent theories at a sensible tone. (CAPS = Angry)

my block capitals, are to make people notice for this thema (when you are on univesity you will get it), and my english is badfull, because I am a bosnian guy how lived in Italy, played football in Italy, then lived in Germany, played football in Germany, and then lived in Bosnien, played football in Bosnien. Now I am living in Austria.

So, I am speaking Italian, Serbo-kroatian, German, English, and which laguage are you speaking???? So don't attack me of my english beacuase I have 4 other in my head.

Some people are simply beyond help.

1. People are intelligent enough to see your point for themselves withouit capitals strewn all over the place - if you don't respect their intelligence, why are you seeking their opinion? If you've been doing the same in your university exams, I'd be amazed if it's been well received.

2. I speak English as a first language, but also Spanish, Portuguese and French. But I don't go on Spanish-language forums and start putting badly-worded rants down in capitals - when speaking outside my first language, I slow down and have a think about what I want to say, and how to say it in as simple and polite a way as possible.

3. Since you reload 30 times a game, why not try improving your tactics as you go? Your approach seems to be to re-use your flawed tactics again and again until you fluke a win, and then to do the same all over again for the next match. Some would call this unwise. Others would CALL THIS UNWISE, so that you could see the thema of their statement, otherwise you might not be able to figure it out (thank god for capitals).

I would guess that the problem is not that you need to talk to your players during the 1st half, but that you're going wrong elsewhere.

As for the 1st shot determining the accuracy of all other shots, THIS IS JUST PLAIN WRONG.

First, of all, you are very, comma, friendly, and that CAN GET, ANNOYING. Plus, when you mispel, word, it makes, INCOMPRIHISBLE!

If FM is such a matter of life and death for you, don't be afraid to cheat. Because those who actually "play by the rules" (i.e. the non-cheaters) don't go crazy over the fact that their strikers are missing some shots.

TBF I doubt a lot of kids would be playing pokemon at nearly 1am in the morning ;)

He said after school ;)

But I doubt that most of the people who play football manager play pokemon :rolleyes:

@OP, I think reloading a match 30 times is not good, nor is getting mad at people who you seek advice from.

ensar13 dont buy anymore FM's as they clearly make you angry. You cant shout touchline instrustions in 09 because they are not in FM09, they are however in FM10!

For the record, you would get a lot more help if a) you calmed down a bit, and b) if you didnt start berating and belittling people on here by being condescending and rude to them before they have even had a chance to reply.... below are some examples.

"for other kids, how after school are watching pokeman and playing FM, please DON'T ANSWER this question. I don't want stupid commentar.

Thank you" (post no 3)

"my block capitals, are to make people notice for this thema (when you are on univesity you will get it)" (post no 11)

"and which laguage are you speaking???? So don't attack me of my english beacuase I have 4 other in my head." (post no 11)

If we dont match up to your supreme intellect then why ask for our advice?

From FM10 on you will have the option to make touchline shouts which should make you a bit happier. Yet, complaining that they are not in 09 is a bit fruitless then, don't you think?

After getting the reactions you got, you should be aware that you would have got a different reception and feedback if you behaved a bit differently.

btw I love the word incomprehensible being mispelled in caps in one of the answers :D

On topic again, from reading your post there might actually indeed be an important issue which got lost over your spelling and attitude:

Yo say, that the first shot by your team determines the accurracy of shots throughout the rest of the game. That indeed would be a serious issue which should be looked at. :( There might be a too big effect on morale deriving from that first shot.

So maybe in the end there is indeed something worth discussing in this thread...

For the longest time in my last save I saw a pattern. Every single game for a long period of time (around 25-30 games) would follow this pattern. The first team to get a shot at goal would win or get a draw. It was beginning to get on my nerves a bit as I could watch the match stats, see who got the first shot and know that team wouldn't lose. Then one game broke the pattern and I didn't see it re-emerge again (and believe me, I was watching :D)

Calm down you twit.

ensar13 - you could just rewrite the OP and try to be polite, maybe then we can have a proper discussion. As it stands, I still have no idea what problem you are experiencing because I can't possibly decipher your post. I appreciate the fact that English isn't your first language, but it didn't stop you from being intentionally rude and immature.

This isn't an attack on you at all, I'd like to help. :)

I think it's a mental thing. It comes down to morale, a bit. As a player, if you're team don't get a shot away early, you might begin to wonder when you will. You'll try speculative shots in the hope that one comes off, when in fact they're a lot less likely to.

If you want to talk to your players, you should try it via tactics. I think adding an extra layer in would only make the game more frustrating and difficult. You'd have to use it, and you'd have to get it right. If not, you'd experience trouble- you can't add a feature that always makes things better!

Now, excuse me, I want to play Pokémon ;)

ensar13: you have to understand this is a game that has a calculating aspect (procent-wise). For example, how many times does your attacker dribble past the defender is an outcome of variables (could maybe be dribbling vs tackling?), so if your attacker has dribbling 18 then it could mean that he will get past his man 90% of the time but if the defender has tackling 18 then he will win the ball 90% of the time. I think the computer then calculates the odds between them and kind of like a roll of the dice will determine if it is successful or not. If you look at the bigger picture these calculations are probably being done on a larger scale, so with all these calculations going on and procentages of the success of them, then how would the outcome possibly be the same from game to game?

You can tip the procentages more your way by taking advantage of mentalities and other individual settings as long as you know what you are doing. The first season will be different then the second (especially if you over acheive) because your opponents will be playing more tactically against you (most likely because you taught them a lesson last time you met them), in other words they are playing more defensively making it possible for them to override your teams' overall attacking capability, but this can be dealt with relatively easy. Is that not 'normal' behavior for football clubs around the world? But this shouldn't be a shock to the community any more as it has been talked about on countless occasions...

the only thing that makes me as angry as ensar gets over fm is reading ensar's posts. awful grammar making it nigh on unreadable, stupid idiotic opinions, insulting forum members. do yourself a favour and leave the internet, preferably forever.

mate you go on a bosnian forum and see how well your grammar is.

english is clearly not his first language. (its also the hardest to learn. even we cant write/speak sentance in grammaticle sence!)

I play Pokemon :cool: but seriously, if you lose a game just think. What went wrong? Were the defence too deep? The wing play too narrow? Then simply change the sliders (depending on opposition and weather)

And if the morale is low, say you have faith in them. Simples.

So, for you it is diffucult to make Team-talks withhin the match, so that I can speak to my players during the first half? Now look, I am the ONE how was reloading one single match for 30 times. So, I relaise, that, sometimes the games go good, but in some reloads, when your first players strike a good chance above the goal, your chacnes for the 45 minutes are: 75% it will go above the goal; 20%the goal GK will hold it, and 5% it will be a goal.

So, why do YOU don't let me talk with my players within the first half of the game? I want to say to this idiots who are making so much mistakes, and not to all, because, this mistakes is (I think by the game) taking every plaers then, to shoot the ball above or beheind the goal. This is inpossible! In my reload, this players, are shooting on the goal. SO, IT IS INPOSSIBEL THAT 7 PLAYERS ARE NOT ABLE TO SHOOT THE BALL ON THE GOAL!!!!!!

You seem to be in a muddle. As has already been said, no amount of talking to your players will solve the problems created by a flawed tactic. If you replay the game 30 times without success, the problem is not your communication with the players. To quote my favourite "it's your tactics". :D

Having read the various posts it seems that the question has not been answered/discussed for what ever reasons. When people suggest your tactics, it seems that you are not suggesting you can't win, i.e. after loading the same game many times it is not possible to win for what ever reason. It seems that you are saying that there is a glitch in the game that makes the first goal attempt repeat itself many times that would not be the norm with the results being very telling. I don't play in 3-D so I can't make a judgement from my experience.

If we turn the situation and said what happens if the first shot is a goal, hits the post, or is blocked, then what happens to the subsequent chances? Do lots of them hit the post etc. If say in 10 games the first shot was blazed over the bar, and then say as you have stated the remaining 75% of shots in the game were also blazed over the bar, and then a pattern developed. The same results happened with the first goalscoring chance been placed straight at the keeper. Then on the face of it, it would seem that this is the norm and not an exception. Is this just in one specific game? Or has a pattern emerged?

I would say like in real life and in FM, sometimes its just not meant to be. When a big team players a smaller one and has the perfect players and tactics the result was allways destined to be a loss not matter what was done. :)

Sorry for my vocabolary yesterday.

What I wanted to say are the shoots on goal: the chances.

So, I play a match. Now, in the first 15 minutes, my striker or AM get a nice chance, he has the goal in front of him defenders are left and right, blocking other players and running toward my player with ball, so he take the shoot and the ball goes wide. Now, the next 5 chances are the same way, my players are simply striking wide of the goal or strike the crossbar.

Now, when I reload the game, and the first strike went toward the GK, and he hold it, the next chances go toward the GK and not wide of the goal. And this is what I am complaining. Because, it has nothing to do with my tactic, but whit the first shooter. If he blaze the ball wide, the 70-80% of next chances will go the same way. But, if he manage to shoot on the goal, (GK hold or it went in) the next chances goes in and not wide of the goal. Only 2-3 shoots went wide. Why it is so? When I reloaded the match 10 times, wins and losses were not important, I am not talking about to win, but I want to see this problem where my players for some reason are not capable to strike the ball towards the goal, and in the next reload they did it.

One more time, sorry for the language yesterday

If we turn the situation and said what happens if the first shot is a goal, hits the post, or is blocked, then what happens to the subsequent chances? Do lots of them hit the post etc. If say in 10 games the first shot was blazed over the bar, and then say as you have stated the remaining 75% of shots in the game were also blazed over the bar, and then a pattern developed. The same results happened with the first goalscoring chance been placed straight at the keeper. Then on the face of it, it would seem that this is the norm and not an exception. Is this just in one specific game? Or has a pattern emerged?

I would say like in real life and in FM, sometimes its just not meant to be. When a big team players a smaller one and has the perfect players and tactics the result was allways destined to be a loss not matter what was done. :)

Yes, but in the real life, the opposite GK hold the ball, and in the last weeks I am watching so much crazy saves from the GK that I can't believe that the ball didn't get in. But in my games, the GK is not holding the ball, it is the ball which went wide of the goal. I think this has to do with the subject: SuperGK that we had in FM07 and FM08. But today it seems that this SuperGK became reality in Italy, England, Germany.

ensar13 - thanks for clarifying that. I understand now what you are saying :D

I'm not sure, perhaps you've stumbled upon some sort of anomaly within the match engine. If what you are saying is true, then perhaps there is some link between first miss and/or shot on target and the next handful of chances. Perhaps it has something to do with the mentality of the team/players. One player misses an easy chance and then the rest of the players are more pressured into taking their next chance, but depending on their mental attributes, they may miss their chances also.

Either that, or the first shot is simply an indication of how the rest of the match will go?

It would take some testing and close observation by several players before any kind of theory could be made, or conclusion drawn. :)

If I understand correctly, your problem is that you cannot perform a team talk once the match has kicked off? Doesn't help you now, but there are touchline shouts in FM10, which although are not team talks you can yell at them to "get the ball forward" or "hassle the opponants", or things like that. As for FM09:

If your players are shooting wide or high of goal you can adjust your tactics. As always, with every single problem I have seen you post, tactics is the answer.

Perhaps they are rushing their chances, so slow the pace a little.

If they are shooting straight at the keeper, maybe they are waiting too long to shoot.

Increase the pace of the game, and see if that works.

Or vice versa, depending on your current setting.

There's no one answer, you just have to try.

99 times out of 100 if my team is having a lot of chances but not scoring, a very small tweak in tactics will see some success. I usually play a fairly high tempo, so for me slowing the pace is often the answer.

I played your previously loaded game a couple of times despite winning it first time out, and yes, the result was different every time.

If I understand correctly, your problem is that you cannot perform a team talk once the match has kicked off? Doesn't help you now, but there are touchline shouts in FM10, which although are not team talks you can yell at them to "get the ball forward" or "hassle the opponants", or things like that. As for FM09:

If your players are shooting wide or high of goal you can adjust your tactics. As always, with every single problem I have seen you post, tactics is the answer.

Perhaps they are rushing their chances, so slow the pace a little.

If they are shooting straight at the keeper, maybe they are waiting too long to shoot.

Increase the pace of the game, and see if that works.

Or vice versa, depending on your current setting.

There's no one answer, you just have to try.

99 times out of 100 if my team is having a lot of chances but not scoring, a very small tweak in tactics will see some success. I usually play a fairly high tempo, so for me slowing the pace is often the answer.

I played your previously loaded game a couple of times despite winning it first time out, and yes, the result was different every time.

I think you still don't fully get him.

He is now mainly talking about the first shot of his team being 'decisive' for the vast majority of his team's shots throughout the game. Thus, if the first shot is on target (no matter whether in or saved) so will be the vast majority of shots later and vice versa, if the first shot is wide his players will continue to miss the goal.

It cannot be related to tactics. It's not about winning or losing.

What we need and are lacking at the moment is more evidence. Have other poeple experienced this as well? I will from now on have a look at it in my games, but so far nothing has struck me as a problem there.

If in the end there turns out to be an issue then it would indeed be a serious issue which must be addressed soon. Because then some morale or other mental effect which is caused by the outcome of the first shot of a team has too much influence on the ME.

I think you still don't fully get him.

He is now mainly talking about the first shot of his team being 'decisive' for the vast majority of his team's shots throughout the game. Thus, if the first shot is on target (no matter whether in or saved) so will be the vast majority of shots later and vice versa, if the first shot is wide his players will continue to miss the goal.

It cannot be related to tactics. It's not about winning or losing.

What we need and are lacking at the moment is more evidence. Have other poeple experienced this as well? I will from now on have a look at it in my games, but so far nothing has struck me as a problem there.

If in the end there turns out to be an issue then it would indeed be a serious issue which must be addressed soon. Because then some morale or other mental effect which is caused by the outcome of the first shot of a team has too much influence on the ME.

I missunderstood. Apologies to the OP. Thanks for clarifying, Jayahr. It's an interesting point and one I have never heard before.

So as not to write off the OP again as a conspiracy nut, I just played three reloaded games on an old save purely at random - AC Milan (me) vs Fiorentina - same team, same "attacking" tactics, same team talks, same press comments, same opposition instructions. These games went as so:

1st game: first shot is Flamini from 30 yards. Curling... GOAL! Went on to win 6-0. (14 shots, 8 on target; Fiorentina 4 shots, 3 on target)

2nd game: Pato's tame shot from edge of area. Keeper holds onto it. 3rd shot of the game is an ageing Kaka 21mins - GOAL! Go on to win 3-0. (10 shots, 5 on target; Fiorentina 6 shots 0 on target)

3rd game: Rossi's one-on-one is saved and goes wide. 3-0 half time. I win 4-1. (12 shots, 5 on target; Fiorentina 10 shots, 7(!) on target)

Note: Fiorentina is third in serie A in November (I am top), so it's not exactly a team of donkeys I'm competing against. Also, I took over in September after the transfer window closed, so there are no new players; it's a decent first team but with no depth at all. I watched these games on full detail until the first shot happened, then switched to "key".

Right, I'm not sure what this proves. That the first shot on goal decides the rest of the match? That because my first shots here were all on target I am desined to win? Or at least have more on target regardless of my tactics?

Okay, so now I played another game, with a weakened team - 4 reserve squad members 1 ST, 1 MC, 1 RM, 1 DC. Also, to try and encourage Fiorentina to have a shot first, I start with a defensive tactic.

4th game: sure enough, 4th minute Fiorentina get a shot on target, but player is offside. Does this count? Probably not, so I continue watching. In the 8th minute their next shot is a good, hard shot from the edge of the area, my keeper saves and pushes it over the bar. My first goal attempt (on "key") is on 20 mins from my 17 year old debutant who blasts over the bar from the edge of the area. My next shot is a far-post header from a corner, which is scored. The first half looks like this:

Fiorentina 4 shots, all on target, none scored.

AC Milan 2 shots, one on target.

* Remember I'm playing a different tactic than the first three games - defensive, with a weakened team.

Half time, it's 1-0 to Milan.

Second half, same team but back to my original attacking tactics. Team talk is "encourage". On 60mins I pause it, and the game looks like this since half time kicked off:

Fiorentina 1 shot, and scored it.

AC Milan 3 shots, 2 on target, scored none.

Score is 1-1 when I sub off 3 weaker players and bring on 3 of my first choice players.

AT THE FINAL WHISTLE the full game looks like this:

Fiorentina 8 shots, 6 on target.

AC Milan 10 shots, 6 on target.

Score: AC Milan 2 - 1 Fiorentina.

So, in my first 3 games, top choice players, fairly successful attacking home tactic, Milan get the first shots in and they are all on target in one way or another, and go on to win comfortably. 4th game, Fiorentina get a good shot on target saved, mostly dominate the first 60 mins, but AC Milan still win 2-1 and ends with equal shots on target.

So... a decent shot early on gives players confidence? Players with high confidence playing against a team whose tactics do not change are likely to create MORE similar chances? I can't see what the point here is.

Summary:

Games 1 & 2 I win comforably, dominating the games. I get the 1st shot in and have more on target overall.

Game 3 I win comfortably, get the first shot in, but overall Fiorentina get more shots on target than I do.

Game 4 Fiorentina shoots first, on target. I scrape a win by altering my tactics and personnel. Both teams have 6 shots on target.

Conclusion:

First shot = no relation whatsoever to the rest of the game.

Please tell me if I'm missing something but as far as I can tell, that's yet another conspiracy theory debunked.

These are getting a bit boring now. At least let's have a grassy knoll or something next time.

Thanks backpackant for the effort :)

Your results have indeed shown nothing to be concerned about, yet of course the sample size is very small. Also, I'm sure a test doesn't need to be under the same circumstances every time. If there is a flaw in connection with the first shots it should appear irrespective if the opposition or any team-talk.

Will continue playing my save tonight and come back if I find something of interest on the subject.

Archived