I'm not sure, let's debate then!

On FM2010 I'm not sure if I'll put RANGERS and CELTIC into the EPL to make it 22 teams. So when you post does this...

Will I does this: Yes/No then your reason...

Advantages: (couple of reasons)

Disadvantages: (couple of reasons)

I will take every post into account and your decisions will make my descion easier to make on the 30th October 2009 :D

Rangers and Celtic are well supported teams and would bring a higher attendance to the premiership

They MIGHT provide more competition long term to the top 4/5/6/(eight including them!)

Will a 22 team premiership work? Is it hard coded to 20

They will probably get relegated in their first season as their teams are dire.

I might do it myself, at some point. It'll hardly be priority but it's 'filed for later' ;)

Advantages

Will open up the Scottish Premier League and make it more competitive. Any one of a number of clubs will then be title contenders.

Will make the EPL more exciting. Rangers Vs Man United, Celtic Vs Liverpool, Rangers Vs Arsenal and Celtic Vs Chelsea (to name just a few) will all be great matches.

There are more advantages no doubt but I'll let others list them.

Disadvantages

Will weaken the SPL, especially financially as the old firm do bring a lot of money to the other clubs which participate.

Could be deemed unfair on the weaker EPL teams who will have more matches to lose :D

The sheer strength of this newly formed EPL will give Michel Platini more reason to whine about it ;)

Etcetera.

I see you're from Wales. Have you ever thought of putting Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham into the Welsh Premier?

What would be the point every year it would be

1st Cardiff

2nd Swansea

3rd Wrexham

every single year, the WPL is the worst league in Europe so what would be the point? Could say the same about the SPL, Rangers and Celtic 1st or 2nd nearly every year.

problem with making a combined british league (As interresting as it sounds!) means that you have:

premiership with 18 english teams, 2 scottish.

Championship with 15 english teams, 3 scottish teams and 2 welsh teams (and thats being generous to swansea!)

And then all the rest would get a bit more mixed - but you probably wouldnt get a single irish team or team from the welsh league (As apposed to a welsh team already in the english league) until the conferance level at best.

Basically, you end up with the English league, with 2 medium-big teams added in and 3-4 average teams and then 50+ crap teams (no offense meant!)

Yeah but you could divide them into divisions so that the crap teams would play the crap teams and the good teams would play the good teams. I know it wouldnt happen but I thought it would be an interesting concept.

What would be the point every year it would be

1st Cardiff

2nd Swansea

3rd Wrexham

every single year, the WPL is the worst league in Europe so what would be the point? Could say the same about the SPL, Rangers and Celtic 1st or 2nd nearly every year.

It might give the other WPL teams some extra funds to get better, and also increase the league standard. You could argue the same issue (big team dominance) with the English Premier League. Only 3 different teams have won it for the last 14 years.

As for your original question, I say go for it. The curiosity factor alone is enough. If it doesn't work out, quit and load the original database. Happy days! :)

problem with making a combined british league (As interresting as it sounds!) means that you have:

Championship with 15 english teams, 3 scottish teams and 2 welsh teams (and thats being generous to swansea!)

And then all the rest would get a bit more mixed - but you probably wouldnt get a single irish team or team from the welsh league (As apposed to a welsh team already in the english league) until the conferance level at best.

Basically, you end up with the English league, with 2 medium-big teams added in and 3-4 average teams and then 50+ crap teams (no offense meant!)

It might be quite fun to put a couple of teams from Wales, Scotland, Ireland and N.I. into the Premier and see how far they sink. They've got to stop getting relegated at some point.

It might give the other WPL teams some extra funds to get better, and also increase the league standard. You could argue the same issue (big team dominance) with the English Premier League. Only 3 different teams have won it for the last 14 years.

As for your original question, I say go for it. The curiosity factor alone is enough. If it doesn't work out, quit and load the original database. Happy days! :)

HAHA - very well picked... 14 years... because exactly 14 years ago it was won by a 4th team - blackburn...

And that doesnt tell the whole story - its not been those same 3 (4) teams that have (almost) won it every year for those 14 years. In that time there have been LOADS of teams coming 2nd and 3rd - Newcastle, Leeds, Liverpool, Nottingham forest.

So, although only 3 (4) teams have actually WON it, there has been decent competition (some years) from 8 teams. Whereas, if you did produce that welsh league it would be like Scotland is now - 2 teams winning it EVERY year, with the very occational blip with a brilliant manager working miracles on another club.

Whats the point of asking opinions about it?

All you are going to get is Scottish and English tossers arguing and trying to score cheap digs at eachother.

Theres only going to be very few people who will actualy give you a decent thought out answer and the rest will be sitting arguing about past winners.

Whats the point of asking opinions about it?

All you are going to get is Scottish and English tossers arguing and trying to score cheap digs at eachother.

Theres only going to be very few people who will actualy give you a decent thought out answer and the rest will be sitting arguing about past winners.

Who exactly was that aimed at???

Every single post was valid, on topic, sensible and utterly 'untosserish'

EDIT - appart from the post directly above... sigh...

HAHA - very well picked... 14 years... because exactly 14 years ago it was won by a 4th team - blackburn...

That's exactly why I picked that date. You'll find any commentator or print media doing the same. :thup:

I've worked out a simpler structure for a British league system.

EPL (called British PL) - same

Championship - same

League 1 - SPL/SFL div 1

League 2 - Coca-Cola League One

(I've worked out the league rankings according to FM league reputations).

Down to a regional levels from level 7 (will now be equivalent of BSP), leagues down to level 10 (where I'll start).

4 up/4 down. All divisions 20 teams

I'd expect Rangers and Celtic to storm their division and maybe the Championship the next season. Watching from my vantage point bumbling about with PA10 players in level 10, with 4 promotions and relegations it shouldn't take many seasons too see how Scottish, Welsh and N. Irish teams compete with the English.

Fun !?!?! (matter of opinion)

It would be intereresting to see if my theories (below) are proved correct.

We already have enough Championship quality teams in the Prem (Wigan, Bolton, Hull etc), we really do not need 2 more.

Rangers & Celtic are not as good as many seem to think, they would probably end up in the 2nd tier after one or two seasons anyway especially as their days in Europe Comps money spinning would end immediately.

The only advantage I can see is that it would make European contention alot more exciting..

Even if in the first couple of seasons they'll maybe compete for Europa League but it'll be like

managing someone like Tottenham/Everton/Villa.

Could work in game but that's as far as I'd like to see it go

Archived