Job offers and the board

I'd like more information about the board of a club when it offers me a job.

In the real world of football we all know that certain boards and chairmen have particular reputations. For example, we know that the current Man City board are happy to spend huge amounts of cash on players and are very ambitious, and we know that Steve Gibson at Boro sticks with his managers through thick and thin. As managers within FM though - we don't know that, even though most of this information is held within the game I believe.

Just as I can look at any coach's profile and find out his preferred formation and his playing mentality, I'd like to be able to discover the attributes of a board and its members. This might have to be covered by fog of war depending on my knowledge of the country, but if in reality I'd know about a board then it should be available to me in the game too. I feel this would help me when choosing which job offer to accept (if I'm lucky to be in such a position). I might choose to work for a conservative club rather than an overly-ambitious one for example.

Also, when I am offered a job I'd often like a week or so to think over the offer - perhaps to attend a match so I can find out a bit more about the players and club. At the moment it feels like I get a phone call from a chairman and I'm forced to negotiate and decide there and then on the phone immediately. Surely that's not how it happens in reality?

dizze, I was thinking that just like coaches, scouts etc. have information in their profile about their footballing preferences, board members could have similar information. For example, a coach might prefer 4-4-2, have an attacking coaching style and have a balanced playing mentality. Similarly, a chairman might have an expansive investment style, be fickle when it comes to sticking with his manager, he might pay great attention to the fans and so on. This information could be presented to you on a staff profile page which at the moment doesn't exist.

Another possibility is that you could balance what information is given to you through a chairman's profile page (which as I say might be covered by the fog of war) with a new element to the job negotiation which would include what plans and expectations the board has for the club. Perhaps when offering you the job, the chairman might say that the board will invest in facilities if you qualify for Europe, or they might say that they would love to go professional but finances currently mean they can't. You'd have to consider this alongside what you know about the personality of the chair. For example, Vladimir Romanov might say to you that he is building a new stadium, that he wants the club in the Champions' League and that he'll invest money in the transfer budget, but his profile suggests that he sacks managers at the drop of a hat, he interferes with the buying and selling of players and his plans often don't amount to much. Currently when offered a job you know none of that and you just have to put up with whatever the chairman turns out like - good or bad.

Edit: Also, you sometimes get messages in the media that a club might be considering offering you the job. This could include speculation such as 'the new foreign board has big plans for the club and are looking for an equally ambitious manager', or 'the fans consortium is known to have no money to spend and will look to appoint someone who can steady the ship'.

I like this. Anything that gives us more information is only a good thing and this would help us be able to make an informed choice of who we go to manage. For example, if you get offered a job with a chairman that tends to get rid of managers regularly, and you knew about it, you could perhaps hold off for another job that may be insecure on the job status page.

In older fms well believe it was still cm back then they had what you discribed and they ran into trouble with chairmen so they first hid it so you had to enter a debug code for it too show and I believe now its just gone completely.

You can sometimes tell what chairmen will be like by checking how many managers they've gone through or how much has been spent on transfers over the last few seasons.

In older fms well believe it was still cm back then they had what you discribed and they ran into trouble with chairmen so they first hid it so you had to enter a debug code for it too show and I believe now its just gone completely.

You can sometimes tell what chairmen will be like by checking how many managers they've gone through or how much has been spent on transfers over the last few seasons.

I don't see why giving an opinion about a chairman wouldn't be seen as being fair comment. After all, the players in the game are all rated on various mental and physical attributes without any of them suing for defamation of character. Maybe a compromise would be to describe the personality of the board as a whole rather than individual people though.

You're right about being able to check through past history to some degree, but it's not a substitute for having a proper profile page, or for having a board tell you what their plans are (even if they might lie to you.)

Maybe if with the job offer, you are presented with the expectations of the club,

and what the board can do to help you with these expectations.

[example]

Job offered by Man City

Expectation: to win the League in 2-3 years blah blah blah.

We are willing to put in the money required to bring in calibre players to make this happen.

Extra funds may be available upon request.. Circumstamces depending

[/end example]

Yeah I hate having to agree to a contract straight away, especially if you have more than one offer on the table. Would be good if you could have 7 days to make your decision and check on the required information before you say yay or nay.

Archived