players dead

if a player was to die on fm of a heart attack, say david james for example, then he the real david james may take legal action against SI for mis-representation of his character.

Actually - I dont think this is a very good reason.

If you are saying that, then any player who looks at their stats could sue SI for mis-representation of their abilties. Or worse, if they see they have an injury proness of 20 they could sue SI for claiming they are always injured. Maybe Frank lampard should sue SI because the game says Steven gerrard is a better AMC?

The reason why they wont do this is that it is in bad taste and doesnt really add anything to the game. If it happen reguarly and consistantly (100+ times every year) then SI would have to put it in for 'realism' - the fact that it maybe happens once or twice a year (if that) out of something like 100,000 active players, means it can be ignored without effective realism.

if a player was to die on fm of a heart attack, say david james for example, then he the real david james may take legal action against SI for mis-representation of his character.

What about those with "poor intelligence" (..on the field) as trait? :D

what if sometimes a lightning strike would occure during a game and kill someone? what if some part of the stadium collapsed and killed thousands of supporters? what if a player could steal a red card from the referee's hand? ..etc etc ..

this can and has already happened but there are things way too real to be a part of the game.

Actually - I dont think this is a very good reason.

If you are saying that, then any player who looks at their stats could sue SI for mis-representation of their abilties. Or worse, if they see they have an injury proness of 20 they could sue SI for claiming they are always injured. Maybe Frank lampard should sue SI because the game says Steven gerrard is a better AMC?

It becomes a sticky situation as stats and things can be called the 'researchers opinion' and i imagine someone is bound to get annoyed if its the 'researchers opinion' that the entire reserves at Blackburn are going to die of swine flu this season etc etc.

It becomes a sticky situation as stats and things can be called the 'researchers opinion' and i imagine someone is bound to get annoyed if its the 'researchers opinion' that the entire reserves at Blackburn are going to die of swine flu this season etc etc.

That would imply that the 'deaths' were pre-programmed - rather than as the effect of random chance within the game.

I cant see there is ANY chance that SI would be sued if they implimented it - unless they pre-programmed it so that one particular player always died - that would be potentially iliticious. It is far more 'detrimental' to a player to have his stats programmed as 'crap' when he is a good player, than have a very very small chance that he would 'die' due to random programming in the game that would only happen once ever billion times the game was played.

They wont do it- it doesnt add anything to the game and appart from some very odd people, no one misses it.

It wont happen because people would want more than just a silly little "Player XXX died" message.

Like with their injuries or their moral or anything else they would have to include a reason for the death.

"Player XXX died of testicular cancer"

"Player XXX died of an STD"

"Player XXX died of a drug overdose"

"Player XXX died of liver failure because he was a Jakie"

"Player XXX died in a car crash when he was caught drunk driving and ploughed into a tree in an attempt to escape from the police"

"Player XXX was assaulted and killed by fans after he announced he would love to move to your rivals"

If you are going to put deaths into the game then you have to put in a variety of reasons for the deaths to occur.

Not to mention that you would also have to figure it into the stats, tie it into their fitness rating or injury prone rating, and that would lead to certain players having a far higher death rate than others.

And i would imagine that if a footballer keeps hearing that his virtual self keeps on dying in peoples games then hes not going to be best pleased is he?

EDIT: Plus theres the whole good taste aspect of it...

Player dies in real life, or has a relative who died and then in the game they die in the same way... Stay Classy.

There was an old game on the Spectrum "European Soccer Manager..." or something, and there was a bug in it which meant I lost at least one player per year to "death in a plane crash"! (true). Now that puts the alledged FM09 injury bug into perspective!

I think we should settle for "premature retirement through injury" though that could spoil a good save game (but is realistic I guess.)

My main reason for not having it would be that it would be so annoying. My top goalscorer dies after a match. How would you pick who dies too? So few football players die whilst they are still playing in real life. In england I would imagine it is possibly one a season in the leagues that are covered on fm if that.

Archived