FM10 new features blog Day 22: scouting, player searching & filters

Something returning to the series that we can’t work out why it went in the first place is that when setting up a player search, you can now use an option to match x out of y attributes to get a better chance of finding a player as good, or nearly as good, as you want to.

Yes I loved this feature, was gutted when it got took out.

the computer controlled scouts and managers are hungrier than ever before when it comes to snapping up the players that they need too.

I hope this is done correctly... Like the previous FM where managers would sign players that they didn't need to... OR if they did sign someone in a position where they already have someone(eg man city buying luis fabiano despite having adebayor and tevez and bellamy when they only play 1 striker) then they would make available one of those 3 strikers to the rest of FM as they don't need 4 strikers!

It's just very annoying when teams sign players needlessly and they just never play and leave the club 6 months later for half the price.

Have to wait and see in the demo i guess :thup:

I hope this is done correctly... Like the previous FM where managers would sign players that they didn't need to... OR if they did sign someone in a position where they already have someone(eg man city buying luis fabiano despite having adebayor and tevez and bellamy when they only play 1 striker) then they would make available one of those 3 strikers to the rest of FM as they don't need 4 strikers!

It's just very annoying when teams sign players needlessly and they just never play and leave the club 6 months later for half the price.

Have to wait and see in the demo i guess :thup:

To be fair that does happen in real life.

Clubs do hold onto players, and not give them away, so I don't see why it is such an issue here.

One thing i thought would be a good addition to the filter is to be able to search plays with certain preferred moves.

For certain players you tend to have a good idea of how you want them to play, strikers for instance (such as "Moves into channels" or "Likes to beat offside trap"), defensive midfielders ("Dives into tackles") and such.

I thought this would be quite helpful.

Something returning to the series that we can’t work out why it went in the first place is that when setting up a player search, you can now use an option to match x out of y attributes to get a better chance of finding a player as good, or nearly as good, as you want to.

One of the mysteries of FM...

It's actually no.22 and no.23 all in one...

As for slack, well, I'm not the one camped out on MirrorFootball's website, and was only told a few minutes ago it was live.

There is a character restriction on the title so i couldn't write it all in. Which is also why i had to Shortened it to FM10 aswell

Also... i copy and pasted the title from the mirror website anyway... so in a way its your fault that it didn't say blog 22 and 23 :thup: that is presuming you wrote the title for the blog on the mirror site :)

I wasn't just sitting on the mirror site - i guess i just got lucky timing wise as to looking for it on mirror x

''Oh, and filters added for both “trained in nation”and “trained at clubs perfect for searching for players to make up the necessary numbers in your squad with the prevalence of rules necessitating them.''

I like this A LOT! But, that about positions gets (N) from me.

Well if a player has eg AMR/C and his natural postion is central midfield, then you can kinda of guess that he can play right winger as well etc

you've just hit the nail on the head.

what if he can't play 'MR' ?

this system will be flawed because the FM positioning is flawed.

people being able to play AMR (green) but cannot play MR (red) is UNREALISTIC and not fun.

this will make it worse.

you've just hit the nail on the head.

what if he can't play 'MR' ?

this system will be flawed because the FM positioning is flawed.

people being able to play AMR (green) but cannot play MR (red) is UNREALISTIC and not fun.

this will make it worse.

Actually, that's impossible now. All players who can play AMR/L/C or DM can also play the corresponding regular position (MR for AMR, MC for DM, etc.).

Actually, that's impossible now. All players who can play AMR/L/C or DM can also play the corresponding regular position (MR for AMR, MC for DM, etc.).

it's not impossible at all. there are players that start the game that are 'orange' for MR but 'green' on AMR.

i've also seen regens that are just 'green' on WBL - and red on left back. so the only position they can play is wing back.

it's not impossible at all. there are players that start the game that are 'orange' for MR but 'green' on AMR.

i've also seen regens that are just 'green' on WBL - and red on left back. so the only position they can play is wing back.

i think he means that on fm10 (because of the changes to tactics set up) that positions will be more generalised.

just wondering if scout reports SPAM can be reduced - get message with final report, not 2 - 3 reports several days, if I want to check progress I'd check the progress myself ...

I'm assuming all the information will come in the pre-match meeting rather than drip-drip. I'm really looking forward to this feature.

"asking price" filter, "homegrown" filter, "match x out of y" filter - YES YES YES!!! :thup:

Regarding filters: in FML you can choose how you see you players stats and make your own filters. Ie. if I want to have a DC (instead of the defensive skills you have in fm09) I can setup all the skills related to DC and just see them.

Is this in FM10 as well? I found, when going back to fm09, I really missed it and found the fm09 default views too constricting.

Does this mean we'll have to scout Christiano Ronaldo to find out that he can play MR, ML, AML, AMC, and FC as well as AMR? If so that's pretty unrealistic because we all know about Ronaldo's versatility. Surely the reputation of the player should determine which of his non-natural positions are masked.

I think it's safe to assume that position masking works the same as attribute masking, which does take into account player reputation in how much it reveals.

I think it's safe to assume that position masking works the same as attribute masking, which does take into account player reputation in how much it reveals.

I hope that's true, but Miles seemed to imply otherwise in his blog. The way I understood it is that we know every player's natural position straight away, but have to scout them to find their non-natural positions.

The other problem I have with this is that it's unrealistic to know the natural position of every single player in world football. Why not mask some of these too?

Yes, you can turn off attribute masking, and that turns off position masking too. You can't turn off one and not the other.

So its an improvement on the "fog of war"

It's about time that was improved.

I take it that if a scout is searching through a country he'll unlock the hidden positions and show them in his report. Or would the quality of the scout and how many times the player has been scouted or watched would be needed to show all of the players positions?

Absolutely delighted too!

• SI Staff

It does work in the same way.

So its an improvement on the "fog of war"

It's about time that was improved.

I take it that if a scout is searching through a country he'll unlock the hidden positions and show them in his report. Or would the quality of the scout and how many times the player has been scouted or watched would be needed to show all of the players positions?

There could be information on the report, but it would always appear in the position screen.

Guest Vilosophe

Is the amount of time to scouting a player improved or we can again have a full report after only few days ?

I think it's unrealist the scouting time how we have in FM. In real world teams take several months to have a full profile of the player's quality, while in FM is very very easy obtain that: we can send a scout 3 times in row and in 3 days we know all about player (even if he didn't play matches)

Miles,

Could we expect somthing like that :

The excellent scout ( to be defined ) will give you in 2 weeks ( to be defined ) :

- the full scout report

- the real stats

A worst scout will give you in 2 weeks :

- a small report

- hidden attributes

A bad scout will give you after 2 weeks more ( 2nd trip ) :

- a full report

- hidden stats

A bad scout will give you after 2 weeks more ( 3rd trip ) :

- a full report

- real stats

A normal scout will give you after 4 weeks ( 1 trip ) :

- a full report

- real stats

So the risk exists :

-you wait and another club buy the player

- you buy the player after 1 trip and you will get or no surprises ( attributes appears )

This is my idea to make it simple and keep the attributes as it is right now !

Archived