Developing young goalkeepers

I have purchased and been given (through good youth set up) some goalkeepers with excellent potential.

However, i have an uncanny nack of ruining them to such an extent they end up being decent second division players ( I am currently playing as Hamburg)

when is it best to loan them out? Play them regularly in my first team? learn from an older pro?

(I know every case is different but any help would be appreciated.

i would give him tutoring from my best GK..then play them regularly with friendlies or youth competition and sometimes give them minutes in league matches,for example home matches against lower table teams..i often bring my youngster to the bench and let him enter in the second half if 2-0 or 3-0..

Young goalies are notoriously difficult to bring through from youth level. The only success I've had is when I've thrown him in at the deep end then stuck by him even when he looked a bit suspect. It seems unnatural to give a goalie so many games at that age but to me it seems the best way of improving them.

Here's an example:

Howard Sykes

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

End of Season 6 Profile

End of Season 7 Profile

End of Season 8 Profile

It takes a while to set up, but on my current save I have a Feeder team in the following leagues

Blue Square Premier

League Two

League One

Championship.

I try to send my most promising 17 year olds to the blue square premier or league two. If they struggle, but play a fair few games they return the following season ( I almost always send Keepers there for a second spell)

Anyone who does well, will go up a league, anyone who really excels will go up to the championship at 18 or 19 then they move into the first team squad and play in cups and games where the result is irrelevant. From time to time, premier league clubs wil loan these players and as long as they aren't 'cover for the first team' I let them go.

I currently have 8 players in the England squad, two from my own youth system and 3 I brought very young and developed in this way.

(The only annoying thing is that my feeder clubs have an annoying habit of getting promoted lol)

Always make sure (if you can) you get a couple of great GK coaches. A GK rating of 20 is important, but more important still is that your GK coaches have great youth, adaptability, motivation and discipline and determination skills. That should boost your youth GK training.

Learning from an older pro should help too - especially if the youth player is up for up. However, I'd be weary of loaning them out though - If you think the club you're loaning them to has got good training facilities and, more importantly will play your goalie in the first 11. Then and only then I would consider a loan move.

I always like to put my Hot Prospect players in my first 11 when I can afford to do so (eg playing a rubbish club etc).

IT'S A BUG

guys, this is a known issue. for a few reasons:

1. the development of keepers doesn't work in FM10 as it's impossible to get them enough good experience without throwing in at the deep end

2. their key stats do not develop fast enough - check out dafuges example 'rushing out'. this stat is poor amongst most regen keepers.

SI have said they have looked at keeper development for FM10 which means better keepers will be produced.

for me this is the biggest issue with a long term 09 game.

Young goalies are notoriously difficult to bring through from youth level. The only success I've had is when I've thrown him in at the deep end then stuck by him even when he looked a bit suspect. It seems unnatural to give a goalie so many games at that age but to me it seems the best way of improving them.

Here's an example:

Howard Sykes

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

End of Season 6 Profile

End of Season 7 Profile

End of Season 8 Profile

Completely agree, it seems to have to expose the young GKs to plenty of first team action to get their development going. I've lost count of the number of keepers I've had warming the bench while waiting for my number 1 to retire, only to find when they get their chance, at say 24-25, their chance to really improve and get to a high level has gone.

It does seem unnatural, espcially as goalkeepers tend to peak later than outfield players, but it's just the way it is in FM.

I tend to keep them in my youth team and when they are 17 i will try and loan them out to a club in the highest division i can find that will acutally use him, then the two or 3 seasons he's loaned out i will build up a strong defence ready for when he gets put in the team. Depending on my current gk he will either go straight into the team or have loan periods in the second half of the season after the mickey mouse cups :)

i bought Casares from barcelona when he was 19 he looked an awsome prospect so i dropped pepe reina and have stuck by casares ever since and hes fantastic

check his CA though - tests have shown that the CA on regenerated GK's is nowhere near what it is for the established ones at the start of the game.

thankfully SI have fixed this for FM10.

Archived