Getting into a game

after reading the thread below, i have been thinking about how hard it has been to get into a game on FM 09

i dont know what it is about it but i just cant get into a game! i have a good laptop so the game runs reasonably fast and there are no problems with it, but i have only had 2 games where i have actually completed the first season. There is something i just cant put my finger on about it. Football manager 08 was, i think, the best P.C game i have ever played. I have had several long running saves on it and i am not expecing any future FM games to top it. Anyboy agree?

P.S i am not slating FM 09 i think its a very good game and i am astounded by the progess fm is making from fm 05 to today. This i why i am confused at the difficulty of getting into a game on it.

P.P.S fm 05 is quality as well!!

I've had a few difficulties getting into long term games compared to FM08. But that's maybe because when the game first came out it was a little buggy so I wanted to wait for a patch, and the Jan transfer window. The I changed jobs and moved homes so been really busy for a few months. It was around August that I got myself together again. And you can't start a game so close to a new one coming out can you.

I rarely start a new game nowadays cos i get so engrossed. If/when i start to win trophies i just strive to make myself even better. Small tweaks in my tactics, trying to get the best out of training or finding the next Messi all keeps me going.

Yeah same here, i've struggled to get my teeth into a real good game. I love the game to bits, but I just could not get the BUZZ! Roll on FM10.....

i dont think FM 2010 will have the same 'BUZZ' as fm 08, think it will be a brilliant game though! Beggining to think that no game can ever top 08.

Football Manager is starting to swallow itself up in over complexity. There are too many menus and options and variations that the game has lost it's simple touch, which IMO disappeared way before FM08.

Hopefully the new features and the new layout in FM10 will address this issue.

agree with you in parts there bridport_james, but i think i have worked out my problem!

i often play with blackpool as that is who i support. But even thought the media prediction is around 20th, i always think that the playoffs are reachble (especially now with our league position IRL). However, i always lose a couple of my first matches, and can never get to grips with the fact that being blackpool is a very hard game! Part of me thinks we are under rated on the game, another part of me just thinks that after several attempts on the promotion push for the mighty i should just give up! Has anybody ever had a succesful game with the pool on 09? I am always over expectant as i sign good players IMO, such as ryan mcgowan, darron gibson, dean shiels and mark randall. I think these are good signings for blackpool, but this leads me on to what i said earlier, that we are under rated, or at least, poorly researched. The reason i can spend a good amount of money with bpool, is that i can sell 3 pretty poor players in stuart green, david fox and claus jorgensen for an accumalated total of around 500k!

I am not saying that because i cant do well with them, then there is something wrong with the game, but i just think some players are under rated, and some over rated. Shaun barker was recently sold for £950,000, but is pretty ordinary on the game. And even though Gary taylor fletcher has only ever played as a striker for 1 of the 7 clubs he has been at, he is still positioned as a natural a striker on the game instead of a winger.

these are pretty small points but year after year i think blackpool are overlooked.

Then again maybe i am just rubbish at FM!

if you want to get engrossed into a long term game I recommend you do some lower league management, its a great challenge taking little blue square north gateshead all the way to premiership and champions league glory. I was in the same boat as you until I tried this and since then ive had several other long term saves with lots of different types of teams.

its great in the lower leagues, me and my brother have a week long network game where he is stevenage and im torquay. However this was on fm 08. I tried AFC Telford and got them promoted but once again, i have no idea why, i just wasnt that keen on the game and didnt continue it. oVer the last couple of weeks i have searched frantically for a good game, and have created around 20 of them. Now it is october and FM 2010 is just around the corner, i think i will give up.

Football Manager is starting to swallow itself up in over complexity. There are too many menus and options and variations that the game has lost it's simple touch, which IMO disappeared way before FM08.

agree dfsfsfsfsfsfs s fsfsd

agree with you in parts there bridport_james, but i think i have worked out my problem!

i often play with blackpool as that is who i support. But even thought the media prediction is around 20th, i always think that the playoffs are reachble (especially now with our league position IRL). However, i always lose a couple of my first matches, and can never get to grips with the fact that being blackpool is a very hard game! Part of me thinks we are under rated on the game, another part of me just thinks that after several attempts on the promotion push for the mighty i should just give up! Has anybody ever had a succesful game with the pool on 09? I am always over expectant as i sign good players IMO, such as ryan mcgowan, darron gibson, dean shiels and mark randall. I think these are good signings for blackpool, but this leads me on to what i said earlier, that we are under rated, or at least, poorly researched. The reason i can spend a good amount of money with bpool, is that i can sell 3 pretty poor players in stuart green, david fox and claus jorgensen for an accumalated total of around 500k!

I am not saying that because i cant do well with them, then there is something wrong with the game, but i just think some players are under rated, and some over rated. Shaun barker was recently sold for £950,000, but is pretty ordinary on the game. And even though Gary taylor fletcher has only ever played as a striker for 1 of the 7 clubs he has been at, he is still positioned as a natural a striker on the game instead of a winger.

these are pretty small points but year after year i think blackpool are overlooked.

Then again maybe i am just rubbish at FM!

Try steering clear of teams you support!! Its much harder to manage them than it is any other team. I often find saves as Liverpool (my team) are much shorter, less enjoyable and a hell of a lot more frustrating than any other saves i play. LLM would be a good adventure, or try a different country. :thup:

For me I find it hard to want to start a new game because there is just so much annoying stuff to do at the start. IE hire staff, setup training, etc...

And....I have been burned twice. Once by all the Spanish league bugs and once starting my Bayern game that went bankrupt 12 months in only to find out on the forums later that there is a massive bug with the Bayern data. It turned me off from starting anything again so I haven't played the game in quite a few weeks.

Im currently enjoying me best game on FM2009.

Managing Queens University in the Northern Ireland Division 2. Ive won 2 cups and just won the league after 3 seasons! All with a average wage of £21 a week! The seasons are quite short as well so you can get through the seasons quicker as well as playing in about 4 different cups every season!

Try steering clear of teams you support!! Its much harder to manage them than it is any other team. I often find saves as Liverpool (my team) are much shorter, less enjoyable and a hell of a lot more frustrating than any other saves i play. LLM would be a good adventure, or try a different country. :thup:

QFT. For my first save, I started off in Switzerland and then (eventually) moved to Liverpool, which almost immediately became "not fun". There's just something about managing the team I follow that sucks some of the fun out of the whole thing. I ended up starting a new save, still in Switzerland, but I stayed far, far away from the Premier League.

However, signing players on your real team and getting them to do well is tons of fun and highly recommended.

use some team with low reputation its harder more fun when more passion when you win a match you like shout yes ect im in my braintree season now and its great!!!!!! best save ive done in footballer manager and best enjoyable

i dont know what it is about it but i just cant get into a game! i have a good laptop so the game runs reasonably fast and there are no problems with it, but i have only had 2 games where i have actually completed the first season. There is something i just cant put my finger on about it. Football manager 08 was, i think, the best P.C game i have ever played. I have had several long running saves on it and i am not expecing any future FM games to top it. Anyboy agree?

I've found the exact opposite. There were issues with long term games with FM08 that put me off sticking to one game for any extended length of time but FM09 has been great for them.

FM09 has had me hooked in the long term, I've had just three save games with FM09 and I honestly think I would still be playing the first one of it was not for my laptop dying.

I can never get into games with any other team than the one I support. Just doesn't feel the same. All my long term saves are with County

Archived