How does everyone buy players

Since we have the how do you pick the team on, thought how to do buy players.

I have tried loads of different systems over the years and have now gone back to my old way of doing it which is this.

1) 7.00 is the rating I want as average, so I sort the list into highest rating first.

2) then change the view so I can see contract and then check, look for teams who are either in my league or above and then check those players only (unless kids then I will go to lower leagues)

3) If the player has say an few seasons of say 7.03, 6.93 and 6.90 and he is playing for a team already in my league then I will stick a bid in.

This is how I always used to do it, but changed to looking at passing etc, but have moved away form that and gone back in time.

I only buy players who my scouts have found - so their recommendations are the initial factor.

Aye, forgot to say that once i've found the player then i do get the scout to look at them.

Also when playing LLM rules then I only get players that scouts have found.

Aye, forgot to say that once i've found the player then i do get the scout to look at them.

Also when playing LLM rules then I only get players that scouts have found.

but what about real life lower league managers that use the FM database to look at players?

you're actually going against systems used by real life managers.

:D

I've always bought players on scout reports, I send my scouts around the leagues, sort their findings on the most recommended players, have a glance at their attributes and then buy the ones that are in my budget.

Same here, I get the scouts busy then look through the ones they rate the highest. The ones that have the best attributes that I'm after get bought.

I only buy players who my scouts have found - so their recommendations are the initial factor.

Me too.

Surprisingly often I pick up potential purchases from the assistant manager team report. He lists some players as good purchases based on weak team areas, and often these are spot on.

Same here, I found some very good players from listening to my AssMan.

i set my team up a certain way then pick players who support my theory. at the moment i play a very deep lying back line so pace at the back isnt that important but in the foward areas ie mc wingers and strikers they must have at least 16 in both pace and acc. I only go after players who suit my style and even if they have massive ratings elsewere if they dont fit my mold of the team i dont buy

I never look at stats or attributes, just pick the player with the highest scout rating in the position I need on my shortlist.

Every player my assistant recommends in the team report gets scouted for 3 games. My scouts are always out and about, and every player they identify as highly recommended gets scouted for 3 games. Every player I'm linked with in the media gets scouted for 3 games. Every player with 5 or more stars stays on my shortlist, every player below that is removed. The whole shortlist gets re-scouted by my best scout once a year.

I always filter attributes to find the player that fits best into my system.

Usually, I buy players really young though (before 18) and mould them into the kind of player type I want them to be. This way, I really don't have to buy many older players.

I'm usually in the lower leagues. I use scouts, plus players I notice doing well when I check out stats in various divisions. Even if a players is rated better than my best on a position, if his league track record over the last three seasons or so is poor, I probably won't buy him. Fed up of buying under performers.

I search for players by posistion then I sort them by whatever attribute I'm looking for, such as crossing for wingers... then I look at the players who have a good mix of high value attributes. If they pass the "eyeball" test, I then get my best scout to take a look at them and then I go after them or move on based on their report.

I look at the players my scouts have found as well, but for some reason I get a bit more joy out of finding that obscure player myself. It takes me ages to play a season because I search through every club team, every international team, reserve team, and U19 team to find players. It's what I enjoy best about the game.

First, I'll look at the ass. man reports for the teams, to know which players with high-enough CA / stars to improve my team, or PA / stars for future developments.

In lower leagues, I'll send my scouts on assignments. Once they have somebody to recommend (good star rating for either CA or PA), I will ask my ass. man or coach with the highest JPA and JCA for a report as scouts in lower league may not have JPA / JCA. Sometimes there's a differing in opinions, which I will take the advice of my highest JCA / JPA coach.

For lower leagues, I will look for players at 1-2 divisions. Playing as Gateshead, you get the occasional interested 'discard' from League 2 being transfer-listed. I will ask my ass. man for a report and usually these players are much better than what my team has.

For free transfers, I'll look at which clubs are interested. If same-division clubs are interested, I will try offering a contract and see what my ass. man says. If there's the occasional League 1 or 2 club(s) interested, I will straight away get an immediate report from my ass. man.

I never look at stats, only attributes and scout reports.
I look at the players my scouts have found as well, but for some reason I get a bit more joy out of finding that obscure player myself. It takes me ages to play a season because I search through every club team, every international team, reserve team, and U19 team to find players. It's what I enjoy best about the game.

This is what I do... I never look at performance because sometimes players only look good because of the manager's tactics and scout will tell you if they're inconsistent, injury prone or whatever. And I like to scour through loads of teams and scout random players :D

Ignoring the first season where I'll take over a new club as that transfer system is totally different.

Depending on who I've sold, and who I have in backup for that position. I will get in a direct replacement based on the tactics I'm using and the attributes of the player I've lost.

Basically whatever star rating of the player I've lost is, I'll get in one than my scouts give a star rating equal to.

I do scout report and assistant manager's recommenced but i still check their stats and attribute.

or knowing this player is good IRL and check him out in FM.

But don't forget player probably good in team X but rubbish in team Y due to tatical reason or whateva i will check his history to see if he's good before team Y then probably but and rebuilt him into good player like he was before

I never fully trust the scout report, as I start in the lower leagues the scout stats are low and they can suggest duff players. I do however use them as a guide.

A few points I do follow;

1 - I never buy a player with a Workrate lower than 14 (own personal benchmark) I use this as the starting block and proceed from there.

2 - Look at player history - Injuries and Bans etc

3 - Strength & Stamina should be a decent level as well to prevent injuries.

I have had a lot of success over the years with CM (of old) and FM using these few guidelines.

I get them scouted but not always

I know there are purists who state they only buy scouted players...fine:thup:

but are they saying you shouldnt use your knowledge of players seen in real life:confused:

or do we assume all managers have no knowledge on players at all...it has to be the scouts job:thdn:

I usually try to get 2/3 younger players in a season along with 1 ....2 max for senior squad

I sometimes try to use the media to let a player know I am interested.................can backfire sometimes though if you are just starting out with low reputation;)

I've always bought players on scout reports, I send my scouts around the leagues, sort their findings on the most recommended players, have a glance at their attributes and then buy the ones that are in my budget.

This feels more and more correct nowdays in FM09. Can pick up gems that the Scouts dont rate though.

I pretty much only look for Bosman signings under the age of 33. I initially sort by value, then by scout rating, then by international status. You can get a surprising number of cheap quality players by snapping them up from Under-21 International teams.

Even in the EPL, I rely almost entirely on free transfers. It makes the game a bit more challenging.

Sort for tackling for defenders (then look at marking, anticipation, heading, jumping, pace, positioning, conentration etc.) midfielders by passing and strikers by finishing, pace, heading etc. depending on which player I want. I don't look at past performances because they'll be in a different team, I've had players averaging 5.7 over three seasons for one club and turn out to be a star player for me

I build up a large, um... shortlist (is that an oxymoron?) of players over weeks, months and eventually years. I sort them from recommendation (highest to lowest obviously). Then I only look at players with the best determination, team work and workrate. Obviously, the also have to have good technical and physical attributes depending on their position.

If my scouts told me a player should be 'regarded as a definite purchase' or I should 'sign him whatever the price' yet he had low determination etc, I wouldn't be interested. I don't buy passengers.

i usually buy from scout recommendations, but if im a big team e.g. man utd... then after a few season i usually just have a good look around myself and buy youngsters from abroad and just go from there, found a few gems that way as well, found alot of bad players also lol :o

When I join a new club:

1. Check what Ass Man has to say about team and suggestions - they are always good but players are sometimes hard to get hold of. Is good for finding players not in vogue with other teams.

2. Check transfer list and loan list and see if any internationals under 32 are on frees.

3. See who the rumours are linking me with - sometimes they are good players, though often they are too expensive for me.

4. Look at medium/small International teams and see if any players are cheap and at smaller clubs, then scout them.

5. Send out the scouts

I buy players according to attributes. For example, I see players that are interested to play for C.Palace, then set a minimum attributes related to the position they play.

etc

Player - Finishing - 15

Long Shots - 15

Jumping - 15

etc

If there isn't any players that want to play for my club with attributes at 15 and above I lower the attributes until a player is interested

I buy based on scout reports and attributes. I usually have a player targeted for a year or more and then when I have room for him or want to make changes to the squad I will start praising and declaring interest trying to get him unsettled and then I splash the cash. With Tottenham in my save basically I paid whatever they want though because I had too much money for my own good so I would just throw around 50-100 million a season jsut for the sake of doing it.

Archived