Wonderkids

I'm currently playing in season 2028/29 with my beloved Colchester United. I always have a little smile when you discover a promising young player develops into a wonderkid, and I currently have 4 within my squad, a DC, a MC/DMC, and 2 LM/AML. I've played every incarnation of the Football Manager and pre 'split' Champ Manager games, and I've noticed something....

I've never had a Wonderkid Goalkeeper!

I was wondering how many other players have had a wonderkid keeper and did they develop into a world class goalie?

There is an issue with the poor development of regen keepers which has been discussed in a few threads. Hopefully SI have 'polished' this for FM10.

Yes they should have this polished in FM10 :D

But on Fm08 i think i signed Hugo Lloris season one with arsenal and he played a few games and became a wonderkid

Not sure tho; cant really remember :o

Check him out!!!! Best thing of all is he's English!! Serious lack of good English keepers in my current game.

That's a bug. :thdn:

Don't get me started about how always and miraculously regens and newgens of English nationality have always appeared very soon just for the positions where the English national team needs it the most (GK, ML) or how existing players on these positions have been overrated in the game. This is why England win so many titles in the game.

On a more serious note, goalies are the positions where the newgen engine needs the most work. Haven't seen any regen goalie ever reach the same quality as the top goalies from the db. Even if they reach a certain CA they still always have one or two attributes which are really off and killers for a keeper who is supposed to be world-class.

I had a regen one, but he started as a 15-year-old with really good attributes and he went on loan to a La Liga side (struggling Villarreal, predicted to be relegated) at 17 to be a first-teamer after Germán Lux continued to deteriorate at 37. And from then on he was always on loan to a top-tier side, and got wonderkid status pretty quickly. It's only fitting his name is "Alessandro Italia" and he is Italy's number one right now - and will likely surpass another legendary goalkeeper who holds the Italy caps record - Gianluigi Buffon, with 140. Italia has 129 at the moment and is 33 so he will begin to get worse, but so far the red arrows are very rare (thank goodness). Wouldn't rule out him being the oldest player for Italy too, with Buffon around 36 years 100+ days I think.

I had a regen one, but he started as a 15-year-old with really good attributes and he went on loan to a La Liga side (struggling Villarreal, predicted to be relegated) at 17 to be a first-teamer after Germán Lux continued to deteriorate at 37. And from then on he was always on loan to a top-tier side, and got wonderkid status pretty quickly. It's only fitting his name is "Alessandro Italia" and he is Italy's number one right now - and will likely surpass another legendary goalkeeper who holds the Italy caps record - Gianluigi Buffon, with 140. Italia has 129 at the moment and is 33 so he will begin to get worse, but so far the red arrows are very rare (thank goodness). Wouldn't rule out him being the oldest player for Italy too, with Buffon around 36 years 100+ days I think.

If Alessandro Italia is 33 then I'd say he's got a few good years left in him before his attributes start to decline. I had Igor Akinfeev who went on untill he was 40 and still did a decent job! :p

Hello "Col_Utd", I am moving to Colchester this weekend to live there for a few years so i would love to have some kind of insight on which players i should "like". Are there any guys that have come through the ranks and look good etc. I intend on being Colchester United on FM 10 but obviously i will not get ahold of that for a while so.....

If Alessandro Italia is 33 then I'd say he's got a few good years left in him before his attributes start to decline. I had Igor Akinfeev who went on untill he was 40 and still did a decent job! :p

The other issue is that Buffon didn't have too much competition, but Italia does. Italy have produced plenty of goalkeepers in my game - in fact, I could pick an Italian goalkeeper from Serie B right now and there's a 50% chance he'll be good enough to start for Italy!

Like Buffon, Italia has also monopolised the Italian caps - all other Italian goalkeepers at the moment have a total of around 6 caps. For a whole decade, like Casillas, he has been untouchable. :D

Having a wonderkid regen goalkeeper is very rare in FM09, because their CA develops a lot slower than other players. Because of their low CA the real life goalkeepers are hardly being replaced by regens goalkeepers. I agree that in real life GKs often reach their potential at a higher age, but the difference is too high. This is obviously a bug. Only when most of the real life GKs are retired then the field is levelled again and some youngsters may get some playing minutes early in their career, giving them the opportunity to develop faster in both ability and reputation, which could lead to them becoming wonderkids.

After a few years in the game though GKs are being generated with a higher CA in my experience, maybe because of the lack of any quality goalkeepers in the game. So it may take a few years before you'll bump into a wonderkid GK.

In the above examples of wonderkids it seems as if a lot of them are English. This seems obvious as England doesn't really have a real life top goalie, making it easier for youngsters to earn a selection for the national English side, which usually means a big boost for their reputation, resulting in 'wonderkid' status.

IRL life i would be suprised if a small club like colchester could have 4 wonderkids in the same squad, as it stands, far larger clubs thatn Colchester would have scouting and found these players and would snap them up, i think it's somthing that lacks in Fm and i hope with the new scouting ability in FM10 this will be fixed..

thats why i think bringing threw young player threw own academy should be more important.

Jozy Altidore is a really good young striker in FM09 hes world class, after a few years when he gets to 20-23 years old he isnear as good as ibrahimovic. On my game he went to fulham they came 6th and he got top scorer (29 goals) top assister ( 21 assists) man of match (9 times) and an average rating of about (8.00.)

I think for a player to qualify for Wonderkid he has to have at least 140/170 CA/PA. With the fact that goalies are improving until well into their thirties and often staying at the top til near 40 it is hard to bring through a young goalie, unless he comes through for the club at the right time. Human players should be able to manage it if they get the right start (high PA decent training facilities) with judicious loans and playing times.

Archived