director of football

rich74

it would be a cool option to be able to hire a director of football i wonder if fm

will ever introduce this feature..maybe if this game was first created by some italian

or spanish guy this feature would come as standerd

because most european teams the managers do not have much to do with transfers

they will just say i need a right winger with good ability for the first team

and the director will go out and get one or probley give the manager the choice of

five players the manager will give his opinion but it does not mean he gets his way

it would be great to give it a try

Yeah with all the politics in Spain and even more so in Italy in terms of the presidents then yes it would reflect real life. But it would certainly put off people managing in Spain and Italy in the game and I seem to remember a similar thread a while ago and a person from SI Games or someone said they don't want to delve into that area too much! Its also becomming more apparant in the EPL in real life. I think they also said they had more impotant aspects of the game to look at and would take away from the managers experience I think.

Although it would annoy the life out of me, this would certainly add an element of realism to FM if certain teams had a director of football.

Aside from that, I do genuinely believe that our power over transfers should be greatly decreased in the game as a whole because, let's face it, very few managers in the real world compile shortlists, then target a player, make a bid, negotiate said bid and then negotiate the target's contract. Moreover, a manager will have a target in mind, and then the club chairman/director of football will negotiate the transfer fee and the contract on the table for said player.

I do genuinely believe that our power over transfers should be greatly decreased in the game as a whole because, let's face it, very few managers in the real world compile shortlists, then target a player, make a bid, negotiate said bid and then negotiate the target's contract. Moreover, a manager will have a target in mind, and then the club chairman/director of football will negotiate the transfer fee and the contract on the table for said player.

Very true!!!

Yeah with all the politics in Spain and even more so in Italy in terms of the presidents then yes it would reflect real life. But it would certainly put off people managing in Spain and Italy in the game and I seem to remember a similar thread a while ago and a person from SI Games or someone said they don't want to delve into that area too much! Its also becomming more apparant in the EPL in real life. I think they also said they had more impotant aspects of the game to look at and would take away from the managers experience I think.

it would give people a better understanding of management so be it if it puts

people off... people who want a real experience will go for it...it would make the game more real

cus when you manage a barce in fm it dont feel right to me cus you just could

not do everything yourself at a club like that..

when i manage abroad i want to immerse my self into there culture and there way of life

i am thinking of changing the language to whatever country im playing in if youcan do that

Maybe an option for the manager. For eg, when a manager joins a club with a DOF system, he is given an option to continue with it or do away with it, like how HR did at Spurs.

yeah it would be nice to have that choice but when bobby robson R.I.P went to

barca he could not say he didnt want one he had no choice in europe u have no say in the

matter

Remember that the MANAGER never appoints a DoF - it's the board that does that. The effect in FM if this was activated would be howls of protest along the same lines of the chairman interfering in transfers as rich74 notes above. Overall I think that this would be extremely unpopular.

In terms of realism, it could be viable - when you apply for you should be told that a DoF will handle transfers. If a DoF is brought in over your head (hello Mr. Wise), you might give the board an ultimatum or quit - with all the heartache that would bring.

Yes it would make it more realistic, but, and this is only my opinion, but the most enjoyable part of the game for me is searching for players, scouting them, negotiating transfer fees and wages for those I want to buy. If even some of this power was taken away from the manager, that would probably stop me buying FM and stick with the most recent non-DoF version for eternity.

I agree with increasing the realism aspect but for me personally it would detract from the gaming experience. Maybe in the future it could be implemented as an option before starting the game so then its down to personal choice. Or would this be too difficult to code into the game.

Bring able to buy my own players is a big big part of the fun for me. If this was taken away from me i seriously doubt i would buy another FM. If we are on about realism, then we should start from the word go and have to achieve coaching badges and the required skills, but that would be boring! Like not being able to buy your own players would be boring.

I wouldn't mind an option to just play as the DoF while having hiring/firing control of who the manager is.

Sure this is somewhat possible already by going on holiday for match days and letting the assistant manager handle the matches but it's not ideal, the board still evaluates you as a manager.

As someone said above, I'd like to play as the Director of Football. The apsect of the game I most enjoy is scouting and identifying talented playes for the future. I would happily do that and let the manager get on with day to day team management.

Yeah, actually looking at it from another angle, I wouldn't mind the option of being a DoF concentrating on buying/selling/hiring/firing/negotiating without worrying about tactics and so on, but even then I still like to at least pick the starting eleven. So while I wouldn't mind that option, overall I think this aspect of the game is perfectly fine as it is.

I have to say this is a great idea. Many ppl will say "I don't want someone buying players for me, it ruins the gameplay, etc" but truth be told it would be more realistic. A little like a Chairman selling over your head, it would be a DoF buying over your head. Recent examples, Man City acquiring Robinho, Real Madrid getting Ronaldo and Kaka. I think this could be in contrast to getting you a player like Xisco as happened at Newcastle. Too late for FM10 but a definate must for FM11. It would add dynamism to the game, see how you can manage with players favoured by the board and thereby adding extra pressure to your job. At the same time being able to acquire a star player without expecting it to be possible. To this you could also add a chairman or DoF acquiring players from his own Nationality, leading to a lack of cohesion within the team or greater unity perhaps. As I say a very good option that can be developed.

• Administrators

In EHM, there was the option to let the coach do all the matches and you would let them control, while you brought in the players and dealt with the financial side.

Since it is, football manager, maybe a DoF position won't come in given the rigmarole surrounding it...

Personally I would like it, or least an option to let the assistant handle the odd game - I let them do this when it is a dead rubber, or I'm feeling like I'm bored of the season and want to get to the next one.

Archived