game or simulator

Well I don't care if it is either a simulation or not...as long as FM is realistic, in depth, great and fun to play. But...Football Manager is a simulation because...you don't take control of the actual players themselves, you manage the team and players. Games like Fifa 2008 and Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 are not simulations as you can play.

Originally posted by YesYesOhYay:

well this GAME is a SIMULATION of what it is like to be a footie manager so my answer to your question would be:

Both

Yup. If you left one part out, I know I wouldn't play it.

A simulation game.

It does its best to simulate a very complex job, but will never fully do so. In order to plug the gaps in realism it demands more attention from the human user. For example, the depth of instruction when playing matches - if you don't tell a player like Beckham to do something specifical like "cross from deep" he will never cross from deep, even tho in real life he most definitely WOULD cross from deep if a situation presented itself.

This then presents a problem in itself that if you allowed their personalities to wander from manager instructions, if they did something the human manager didn't like, the forums would light up with "How DARE you ruin my life by letting my players do things that I didn't tell them to"; BUT it would be more realistic and more in-keeping with a sim.

Therefore, the in-depth instructions side (for EG) make this more of a game than a bonafide sim.

And I prefer it this way. Think of it as a game makes it less stressful and lets me part more easily with my favourite <STRIKE>lines of programming code </STRIKE> players.

Archived