Football Manager 2010 new features blog Day 20: Team talks

Seeing as Miles can't do it (gone to watch Watford v Coventry if you're interested) thought I'd post this for you guys. Apologies if someone else from SI was going to post it, in whihc case you can delete it.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/football-manager-2010/Football-Manager-2010-new-features-blog-Day-20-Team-talks-article174961.html

Hmm, the pre-season thing has no real importance to me. I pretty much always give the "relax and enjoy the run out" one. Obviously, if the options for the teamtalk bear fruit in the post-match then i'll use them.

The substitute one, combined with the touch-line shouts should be interesting, but i'd rather see more done with the regular prematch, halftime ones, and the effect they actually have on the players. I don't think, in all the time i've played FM09, i've seen in the post-match team-talk analysis that the half-time talk really gee'd up the players, even if it was from my assistant manager who has motivating as 15+...

Hooray for changes/fixes to team talks. About time for team talks for subs.

What we need next is a 'touchline shout' team talk so we can encourage under-performing players or motivate complacent ones etc. during the game (read - fix problems made by 'wrong' choice of pre-game or first half team talks).

Hooray for changes/fixes to team talks. About time for team talks for subs.

What we need next is a 'touchline shout' team talk so we can encourage under-performing players or motivate complacent ones etc. during the game (read - fix problems made by 'wrong' choice of pre-game or first half team talks).

we do - its a new feature

• SI Staff
Seeing as Miles can't do it (gone to watch Watford v Coventry if you're interested) thought I'd post this for you guys. Apologies if someone else from SI was going to post it, in whihc case you can delete it.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/football-manager-2010/Football-Manager-2010-new-features-blog-Day-20-Team-talks-article174961.html

Thanks Joetheref - I did post when at the match, but you beat me to it by a couple of hours :)

Sounds good Miles. Am I missing something though - because the competition winner and the entry wasn't revealed for that 'go to screens' thing.

I forgot. Will reveal the winner tomorrow now instead.

How about toning down the effects of team talks so the computer AI doesn't have an amazing second half after being dominated in the first all the time? Then we wouldn't need the option to compliment the first half and being angry at the second half at full time.

• SI Staff
How about toning down the effects of team talks so the computer AI doesn't have an amazing second half after being dominated in the first all the time? Then we wouldn't need the option to compliment the first half and being angry at the second half at full time.

It was noted in the blog entry that we've gone through the feedback and tweaked the effects of team talks on the players. And yes, one of the common issues mentioned was the strong comebacks from behind after a half time team talk. These have been toned down for example. However that does not rule out there being times when your team mails it in after playing a good first half and gets nothing done in the second. Sometimes these things can happen despite your best efforts and optimal team talks. The example of a good first half but a poor first half would also cover cases like winning first half 2-0 but losing the second half 0-1, so it does necessarily just cover cases where you lost due to a poor second half.

Talking about poor second halfs and comebacks, I'm sure any Cambridge United fan is cursing real life football to be a bug-riddled mess these days. That would be due to a recent display by the team after cruising in the first half to a 2-0 lead at home against Luton but then conceding four goals in the second half to lose the game 3-4 eventually. And yes, Luton came storming out of the gates for the second half and scored their first within minutes in the second half so you could say their real life half time team talk really got them fired up. Oh, and did I mention this all happened after Luton went down to ten men after a red card at the end of the first half ? :D

Outside of these additional new team talk options, we've naturally also worked on polishing the feature this year. This has included analysing reported issues from previous versions, fixing bugs and also tweaking the effects of team talks on players

They brushed over it because it is polishing rather than something new I guess, but I'm pretty sure they have seen the numerous people saying that the team talks were too influential and have made modifications to it accordingly. Glad that they have added more options as well (again which was brushed over in the blog) which should give the teamtalks more relevance to the situation in the match.

Eurogamer has just posted a hands-on impression and one of their negatives involved team talks.

"Two slight disappointments are that little or no work seems to have been put into team talks and media interaction. The former still seems unclear when it comes to gauging how your comments affect your players, while the latter remains rather hit-and-miss."

That's a rather disappointing comment from my perspective. Looking forward to testing for myself with the demo though.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/football-manager-2010-hands-on?page=1

• 7 months later...

Archived