FM10 with Windows 7

JB22

If FM09 plays on Windows 7 then surely FM10 will also.

I'm not saying it won't work but when I run FM09 on W7 something to do with the colour system W7 runs affects it. I'm not very techy but was just wondering if SI had written the game with W7 in mind

I'm not saying it won't work but when I run FM09 on W7 something to do with the colour system W7 runs affects it. I'm not very techy but was just wondering if SI had written the game with W7 in mind

Id say FM would certainly be more suited to Windows 7. From what im hearing about it, i may have to get myself an upgrade!

I'm not sure what it is, but Windows 7 seems to have supercharged my FM09 experience! Using the same hardware I've played on Vista, XP and now Win 7 RC1 and Win 7 is by far the quickest.

This was mentioned in another thread, but, for any students out there who were thinking of taking the plunge you can get Windows 7 Pro for £30! http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/studentoffer/default.aspx

I'm currently doing a course through work at University of Birmingham so will definitely be using my @bham.ac.uk email address!

Yeah I've been using W7 for a while now and it really is superb for FM. Goes like the clappers but unfortunately my graphics card wasn't supported which was a bummer. I expect new drivers after W7 is officially released though.

And to those people wondering if FM will work on the new OS you really must be on crack. What kind of company would release a game within a week of a new Windows release without making them compatible :D And anyways, in a lot of ways its very similar to Vista...just a very optimised Vista essentially.

I love Windows 7 so much, I want to cuddle it.

It's shockingly fast compared to XP, I was just installing a graphics pack for FM07, and normally on XP, there's a 10-15 second pause before it starts - the pause was only 3 or 4 seconds on Windows 7. Goodness knows how FM07's going to perform on it.

I actually have the full version of Windows 7 not RC and I can't sing it's praises highly enough. 09 absolutely flies with it. Would honestly urge everyone to go out and buy it when it's released.

Really hoping that SI have made the it so it can really optimize the game with W7

I'm presuming you're running the Aero theme. Some games or programs aren't compatible with it, it's not a big deal really.

I'm presuming you're running the Aero theme. Some games or programs aren't compatible with it, it's not a big deal really.

yeah i think it automatically changes the theme though when I run 09, but instantly chnages back when I'm not using it. Or something like that

yeah i think it automatically changes the theme though when I run 09, but instantly chnages back when I'm not using it. Or something like that

Yeah, it's not a serious problem or anything. It's actually to prevent the program you've loaded from crashing due to incompatibility, which is nice. :D

I'm running Windows 7 full blown version on my PC at the moment.

Really? How did you manage that? It's not released until next month. I think you might mean the RC version. I would imagine that the version released next month will have features that the RC version doesn't. I am at least hoping that this is the case since i've pre-ordered it.

I believe that W7 is optimised for multi-core PCs, which is why things work much better then with XP or Vista and I recall something about FM10 using multi-cores much better then FM09.

So there's a possibility that FM10 actually processed faster then FM09 on multi-core PC running W7.

I'm also running the full release of W7 and it's activated and running fine.

As for the difference between the RC and RTM vresions I found this:

The RC was the final test version, including everything that Microsoft intend to release with Windows 7. The RTM will have no major changes from the RC, but probably some bug fixes. The RTM will also not start shutting down every 2 hours from March 1 2010, like the RC will. Your beta keys will also likely not work with the RTM.

Hi,

i read some Win 7 benchmarks today and when it comes to reading large amounts of data to and from the hard drive it is a lot quicker than vista and xp, so maybe that explains the performance boost (infact it was quicker at every single test that was run) but this is the release version i'm talking about not the slower "release candidate" that has been out for ages.

I recently got hold of a copy to try out after using Win XP for all these years and it's definetely staying on my hard drive(vista lasted about half an hour). It really is that quick and smooth with lots of neat touches and might even be a must have for playing FM.

I'm not sure what it is, but Windows 7 seems to have supercharged my FM09 experience! Using the same hardware I've played on Vista, XP and now Win 7 RC1 and Win 7 is by far the quickest.

This was mentioned in another thread, but, for any students out there who were thinking of taking the plunge you can get Windows 7 Pro for £30! http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/studentoffer/default.aspx

I'm currently doing a course through work at University of Birmingham so will definitely be using my @bham.ac.uk email address!

My experience is even better, I got Win7 Professional for free through my (Scottish) college AND can get the student offer you mentioned.

*edit* Just noticed Swisso also mentioned this. There is literally £1000's worth of software on there, none of the previous versions of Office tho, so I wouldnt expect the new version either to be honest.

Really? How did you manage that? It's not released until next month. I think you might mean the RC version. I would imagine that the version released next month will have features that the RC version doesn't. I am at least hoping that this is the case since i've pre-ordered it.

I work for an IT company that is a gold partner so we get licence key for the full version which has already been released to manufacturers for OEM. Just doesn't go on sale to general public until 22nd. As I work in Sales I'm supposed to use it so I can then talk about it, but all I've done so far is shake things and play FM.

Yeah, 7's been belting ever since the first beta went up on MSDN, FM09 running beautifully, I envisage FM10 being the same.

The key with Windows 7 read/write access is that like Vista, it puts more stuff in RAM, and less stuff on slow ass hard drives. Readyboost is a bonus too.

I've just read up on ReadyBoost and it seems pretty good. Shame I've lost two flash drives and broken another. I'll definitely pick up a couple of new ones in time for FM10.

My experience with Readyboost was so poor in Vista that I'd forgotten it existed! Will have a go with a 2GB stick on Windows 7 later on.

I actually have the full version of Windows 7 not RC and I can't sing it's praises highly enough. 09 absolutely flies with it. Would honestly urge everyone to go out and buy it when it's released.

Really hoping that SI have made the it so it can really optimize the game with W7

Mate, I would like to know how you got the full version when the release date is not out yet!!!!

I'm so doing a clean install for FM10 coming out, and with Windows 7 arriving a week before too :)

Now I just need to convince myself I don't need a new SSD hard drive for superspeediness...

You don't yet imo. Give that one a year or so and it'll be worthwhile.

Mate, I would like to know how you got the full version when the release date is not out yet!!!!

Just because the retail release to the public isn't until October it doesn't mean nobody has it yet.

Anyone with any Academic ties had access to the full version in August through MSDN-AA. I'm sure theres many more sectors that had it early too.

• 2 weeks later...
I've just read up on ReadyBoost and it seems pretty good. Shame I've lost two flash drives and broken another. I'll definitely pick up a couple of new ones in time for FM10.
My experience with Readyboost was so poor in Vista that I'd forgotten it existed! Will have a go with a 2GB stick on Windows 7 later on.

You can grab 4GB Corsair Mini Voyagers on Amazon for about £5.00... I think the place was called 'Find Memory', one of the Amazon resellers. A decent 4GB SD card, Sandisk or Kingston, is also nice for laptops as they sit there snugly and don't protrude liek uSB. That said, thosze little Corsair Mini Voyagers are only about 2cm long anyway.

It's available to some already. Kindly cease and desist with the accusatory tone.;)

I'm so doing a clean install for FM10 coming out, and with Windows 7 arriving a week before too :)

Now I just need to convince myself I don't need a new SSD hard drive for superspeediness...

Yeah, I've been fidgeting on the thought of SSD too, but I'm just gonna RAID0 a couple of the 500 GB Western Digital Caviar Green.

Just because the retail release to the public isn't until October it doesn't mean nobody has it yet.

Anyone with any Academic ties had access to the full version in August through MSDN-AA. I'm sure theres many more sectors that had it early too.

Correct. MSDN, Technet, and Volume License customers have all had final. :thup:

Im actually getting Windows 7 upgrade for 12.98 as I get a free upgrade with my new laptop.

thats what i`m paying for the W7 disk from my wife getting a new laptop but also getting another copy of W7 courtesy of mother in law getting a new laptop from currys/pcworld just take reciept in and walk out with new W7 disk

I'm holding off getting a new PC till Win7 is released, I managed to skip Vista entirely except for sorting other peoples problems with it.

Annoying to have to wait this long to utilise triple channel ram but even that didn't justify polluting my PC with Vista.

If anyone is at Uni, specifically, enrolled with the Uni's Computing Department, then check the MSDN Academic Alliance page and see if the Department takes part in the scheme.

It allows students free access to the latest Microsoft packages including Windows 7 and perhaps Office 2010 when it's released.

Checked this out the other day and am ready to go! I've heard it can be difficult to upgrade an OS, does any1 know exactely what is involved?

Do I need to backup everything I currently have on my laptop?

Does the new OS completely overwrite?

Archived