Off topic fm :)

DE-Z

Hello,

I'm purchasing a new laptop solely for FM2010. I'm leaving for university and desprately need FM in my life. Plus I will also have to endure a 9 hour train journey whenever I travel home. I've got a good few hundred for the game and the laptop but has anyone got any reccomendations as to what to buy? I hear Macs are very good?

Please help me out,

Many Thanks.

Hello,

I'm purchasing a new laptop solely for FM2010. I'm leaving for university and desprately need FM in my life. Plus I will also have to endure a 9 hour train journey whenever I travel home. I've got a good few hundred for the game and the laptop but has anyone got any reccomendations as to what to buy? I hear Macs are very good?

Please help me out,

Many Thanks.

Macs are quite good, but they are generally pricier than PC's and the amount of games and programs that are compatible with Macs is quite low. So in terms of value for money I would personally go with a PC. The new Windows OS, Windows 7, is released on 22nd October, so you may want to wait until then (FM10 isn't out until the week after) to buy one. The new OS is meant to be a lot better than Vista, especially when it comes to its use of your computer's resources (Vista as you may or may not know, is a resource hog that eats up a lot of memory).

Not meaning to cause any offence but the way you put your post makes it sound as though you don't know a lot about computers. If I'm wrong I do apologise, but if you really don't I would highly recommend you get some more in depth advice from someone in the know, a friend or relative perhaps. If you go to a store and ask for help they'll happily give it to you, but it's not beyond their capabilities to sell you an overpriced, under spec. machine knowing that you may not catch on.

When looking for a computer for FM you want to look out for one with a good CPU (I would say a 2ghz+ dual core, go for a quad core if you can stump up the extra cash), at least 2gb of RAM, and if you can afford it it is worth paying extra for a laptop with a dedicated graphics card (this will certainly help if you want to run the 3d matches with full detail, and if you want to play other games). I have a machine with integrated graphics, and although it does the job it doesn't do it anywhere near as well as a machine with a dedicated graphics chipset. It's important to remember that laptops aren't really upgradable so once you've bought it it's stuck at the spec. it's at, so it is important to get as good a spec. machine that you can that falls within your budget. When it comes to brands I generally recommend Toshiba, Sony, Samsung, HP and Packard Bell as I have had good experiences with all these manufacturers in the past. Dell and Acer's higher spec. machines are also quite good I have heard.

When buying a computer I would definitely shop around as much as possible. I can't stress this enough. There are loads of places to buy from both on the high street and online. Sure one place may have a good deal, but another place might have a better one. I would make sure you look at as many retailers and machines as you can before making a decision on one. It's a nasty feeling buying a new machine and then realising that somewhere else had one with a better spec. and free printer for the same price or less. Don't rush into buying a computer, do your research, have a good look around, both on the high street and online and make your decision over a few weeks. FM isn't out for another 4 and a half weeks so you have plenty of time to have a look around.

On a last note zavvi.co.uk have FM2010 for pre-order at £17.95, if you want to get the game at a bargain price.

I hope I've been a bit helpful, and I hope you get a good machine and enjoy your FM10!

A Mac is the better laptop, but it's a little pricier.

I have a standard £800 macbook with 4Gb Ram, 2.3 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, and the OS Snow Leopard - and FM runs like an absolute dream!

I can have the 3D match engine on in windowed mode, while Itunes is loaded, and about 5 different internet sites - and the match runs absolutely perfectly!

Plus the laptop is so small and easily portable.

Yeah, my pc doesnt have wireless, always has viruses, wont turn on most of the time and I cant even get 1 MP3 on my hard drive.

You first should take it for repair if it cant turn on then the installation of a good firewall (not the one that comes with windows!) and anti-virus and anti-spyware software is highly recommended.

lol Shottaz

You're really stirring up the PC vs Mac debate. I'd say if you want performance for money, go for a PC for sure. If you want your laptop to double as a fashion accessory however, then go for the Mac. It's like with the iPhone- you can get better phones with better hardware and features for less, but so many people (including myself :D ) go for the iPhone because Apple do make shmexy products.

You want it to last a while, so the absolute bare minimum would be a dual core (seriously, quad core is worth it but very pricey) >2.4ghz and don't go near anything under 2gb of good ram (I recommend 4gb), also any graphics card is a must. Windows 7 is also absolutely essential, so if you buy before it is released then 'obtain' a copy to install yourself, or be prepared to wipe all you've got when you buy it. Don't be sucked in by huge hard drive sizes- many use this as a main selling point but they're cheap and easily upgradeable, and very few come out today with an insufficient capacity for most users.

I might just add that you should not buy from the average major electronics department store because those in the IT industry who actually know what their stock is worth find their prices absolutely absurd. Buy from a trusted online seller or a friend in IT who can get it cheap from a wholesaler through their company. If you insist on buying in person, do NOT get sucked in to buy software. They will throw all sorts of 'essential' stuff at you like antivirus programs (there are countless very good free ones available) and Vista or XP which you don't even want but will probably have to pay for.

DON'T just get something because you can afford it; save up if you have to because it is very easy to get carried away and buy a laptop asap, only to regret your inferior purchase later

I was seriously ashamed to use my iPhone in public for a long time because I knew I'd become 'one of them' and I'd vowed to never buy an iProduct. I knew people like myself would see me and think pfff what a shmuck...

Sorry guys I was only kidding, it was a response to...

'A mac is brilliant, wireless Internet, no need for extra security. Runs so much better then a pc. Great for keeping your tunes on as well.'

When I read it I knew it wouldn't be long before someone took the bait.

But I wasn't sure if the virus was somehow related to a circumcision you mention on another thread :eek:

I was seriously ashamed to use my iPhone in public for a long time because I knew I'd become 'one of them' and I'd vowed to never buy an iProduct. I knew people like myself would see me and think pfff what a shmuck...

Yes, same! I look at them people and think, sell out! The reality is, they could bet a far better product and probably cheaper, yet they sell out for the looks! Soooooooooooo shallow. IPod's excluded, but i dont count that as its hidden and it could be any generic Mp3 player.

I have been running FM on a Mac for the last couple of years, and before that on windows. It runs fine on mac, in fact perfectly. But the same can be said for Windows, it runs fine. I use a Macbook Pro, 3d works perfectly, and game runs smoothly. 2 things however, a) previous posters are right, macs are more expensive, b) last year mac users had to wait a lot longer than pc users for the patch that fixed all the issues that came to light with the 09 version. But, we did not have to activate our product :-)

Archived