Can I start as a 24 year old manager in FM10?

Saevel

It's a personal preference surely? I mean I could make myself an unknown 99 year old if I wanted to and then take control of Real Madrid.

I think the realism argument is a bit bizzare to be honest. If thats the route they want, I should have to start unemployed and then hope that a BSP side takes pity on me and gives me a job.

It's a personal preference surely? I mean I could make myself an unknown 99 year old if I wanted to and then take control of Real Madrid.

I think the realism argument is a bit bizzare to be honest. If thats the route they want, I should have to start unemployed and then hope that a BSP side takes pity on me and gives me a job.

Or earn your badges before you even start, or at least have to take them alongside your first low rep job.

Luckily(:(), im the right side if the age thing so i can use my real age! Once again :(

Or earn your badges before you even start, or at least have to take them alongside your first low rep job.

Luckily(:(), im the right side if the age thing so i can use my real age! Once again :(

I am too :( I think the should make the minimum age higher so I have mine changed and thus feel younger............

That might be an interesting thing to have in the game if they really want to reflect the realism. For instance dont all managers currently managing in the premier league have to have their FIFA PRO License? I know that there are exceptions made to this rule and as a result one or two who don't have this license but its my understanding that they are taking them as a condition of their continued employment at their clubs.

It cant be fixed as it is not a bug- the minimum age is put in to try and relect some elements of realism. There have been some proposals to use real age but in truth it is unlikely.

While 30 years old seems reasonable as a minimum for a top end league, I feel certain there's managers in their twenties in some of the lower profile leagues (available im FM)..

That might be an interesting thing to have in the game if they really want to reflect the realism. For instance dont all managers currently managing in the premier league have to have their FIFA PRO License? I know that there are exceptions made to this rule and as a result one or two who don't have this license but its my understanding that they are taking them as a condition of their continued employment at their clubs.

Yeah its been mentioned and backed before about this. The concensus was that as long as it wasnt gimmicky it would be a good addition IIRC.

I dont see why the age thing is such an issue. If your only 17 and want to manage say liverpool then why should'nt you. Maybe when you start there could be a newspaper article saying something like this " The football world is laughing at Liverpool as they appoint 17 year old Joe Bloggs as their new manager" then it would be even sweeter if/when you prove them wrong.

I don't see the point of this at all...

I NEVER look at my own profile within the game, because the stats change negligably(sp?). I know that i don't favour signing players from the country i'm in or whatever. It takes at least 4 seasons before you stand any chance of being World Class and on the hall of fame either.

For anyone (under the age of 28 or whatever the minimum game age) what are you expecting to happen? The game to say "tactical genius Bob Bloggs has stunned them again, all this at the age of 15" ?

Either that or if it DOES let you have your real age you shouldn't be allowed to have any job beyond the Blue Square South, in case you **** up a 150year old club with millions of pounds invested!!!

Wise up.

The limit should be lowered, but I can't say that it bothers me. It's a fantasy football game and just like others said it would be implausible to have a 15 year old managing say Real Madrid. Just think about it this way: how are you supposed to get players listening to a 15 year old when AC Milan for example, has 37 year old players in their squad?

While I understand the realism argument, I would then hasten to ask why have they included female managers? Surely that is at least as unrealistic as having an unusually young manager.

Considering that the game already lets us displace the current manager of any side in the world that we want with no prior experiance or even reputation (you could start at Real Madrid with 'Sunday League Footballer') I don't think being able to change our age should be such an issue.

Personally, I prefer to start with a just-retired player who is unemployed and looking for his first stint. But I can well understand why not being able to choose your age would annoy people.

From what I remember, in older versions, whenever I started a new game it would make me older. Although in FM09, being 25, it let me start as a 25 year old, and none of the players seemed to respect me when I was managing a larger club, regardless of whatever previous experience I set!

Anyway, back to my original point, in pre FM09 versions anyway, if I then went to add a new manager with the game already started, it would not make the manager older regardless of however old I made him, so this might be a workaround for some people, assuming FM09, and FM10, behave in this way too, create a new game with a dummy manager, create themselves, and then retire the old manager?

The limit should be lowered, but I can't say that it bothers me. It's a fantasy football game and just like others said it would be implausible to have a 15 year old managing say Real Madrid. Just think about it this way: how are you supposed to get players listening to a 15 year old when AC Milan for example, has 73 year old players in their squad?

Fixed ;)

On a similar note, is there a max age?

What if my grandad wanted to play and he input his DOB as accurate, would it let him play the game at the age of 81?

In the game most coaches seem to retire at about 72/73...would the game automatically make him be 28 too? I'm sure he'd be delighted..

On a similar note, is there a max age?

What if my grandad wanted to play and he input his DOB as accurate, would it let him play the game at the age of 81?

In the game most coaches seem to retire at about 72/73...would the game automatically make him be 28 too? I'm sure he'd be delighted..

The max age is 100. You actually can't enter more than that. When it reaches your birthday, you stay at 100.

The realism argument is obviously nonsense, as none of the requirements for a manager job have to be met in FM.. you just assume the position of manager, no questions asked.

What annoys me is that I can be 26 years old, but not my actual age of 24. What's the real difference in realism here?

And this is a GAME after all, the only point of entering my birth date in the first place is to immerse myself more in the game, and make me feel like a part of the game world.. why break the illusion by making me pretend I'm 2 years older? Nonsense..

I say again, I hope this get FIXED for FM10. It might not be a bug, but it's a bad design choice.

While 30 years old seems reasonable as a minimum for a top end league, I feel certain there's managers in their twenties in some of the lower profile leagues (available im FM)..

30 years actually isn't the minimum. It's the default if you put yourself in too young. However, if you give the game a birth year making you between 25 and 29 it will take that age, allowing you to go below the 30 year age cap. You can't go below 25 though.

While I understand the realism argument, I would then hasten to ask why have they included female managers? Surely that is at least as unrealistic as having an unusually young manager.

Because SI isn't as ridiculously sexist as people involved in real life football? There are plenty of us who play the game who were delighted that we would no longer have to be referred to as "he" in every media report. Women are perfectly capable of managing male football teams. There are no rules against it that mean it breaks the realism boundry. It happened in the English non-leagues last year, even if it was for one match. It happens at grass roots levels with mothers running childrens teams, just as successfully as their male counter parts.

Really, I don't see the problem with having young managers possible within the game. There are no age limits on acquiring the necessary qualifications in real life, and just because it's very, very unlikely doesn't mean it's impossible and shouldn't be allowed to happen. Meh. It'd be an awful lot of fun to see how SAF reacted to being tactically emasculated by a 17 year old girl, though.

Because SI isn't as ridiculously sexist as people involved in real life football? There are plenty of us who play the game who were delighted that we would no longer have to be referred to as "he" in every media report. Women are perfectly capable of managing male football teams. There are no rules against it that mean it breaks the realism boundry.

I, likewise, have no problem with women in football. :-) My point is that restricting a certain section of the population from being represented in the game because their participation is unlikely in the real world of football is ludicrous.

You might as well ban San-Marino/Mongolian dual-nationality because it probably isn't going to happen.

That same principle applies whether we are talking about female managers, or managers under the age of 26.

There are no rules against it that mean it breaks the realism boundry.

And, thanks to European labor laws, I heartily suspect the same applies to minimum age.

Archived