have you ever....

have you ever been with a club and built them up to be a global footballing powerhouse and then you got bored and wanted a new challege so you leave your current club for a lesser side only to realise your cant replicate your success with the new team and then returned to your original team?

Yes, ive left clubs that i have built up to greatness to try and do it again at others and it hasnt been as good. Ive never gone back though. Its kind of a motto of mine.

I took sutton to midtable in the championship, but with my ground capacity maxed, and not enough money to get a new ground I just could not make the next step. After 4 or 5 seasons I finaly gave in to temptation and joined Bolton who were all but relegated from the championship.

Relegation was realised on the final day of the season, I still had the reputation to sign all th best players from Sutton United, and three or four that I had wanted but couldn't afford the wages.

I had consecutive promotions to the premiership, and was sitting midtable in the premiership with Bolton in my third full season there but just wasn't getting the same buzz from the game, so when my former assistant was finally sacked by Sutton I jumped at the chance to return but I failed three times to gain promotion from league two. One of my favourite saves, but I always always ALWAYS regret leaving the small clubs in a career save.

Once you get to the point where you're winning or challenging for the league (or even CL) regularly (even if not always) it does get a little boring. However I've found that even if you do the same thing at many clubs, sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn't, which has kept me in my save for ages as I'll never have that success again. Having played intensely for a while and with FM10 looming I've found a good spot to leave and do part-time stuff until the new one comes out, but I've kept the original file, creating a back up so I can continue with something else from where I got up to while still leaving the door open to continue from where I left off if I feel like doing so, after all I'd have missed out on so much had I quit that save when I first felt like doing so a few months ago, and may be missing out plenty more there's time for before Oct 30th. It's not just with clubs you build up. Any sustained period of success leads to a feeling of wanting to do something different. My advice to anyone in this situation is to stick at it (maybe start a 2nd save if you want to have something to provide an occasional change) but never leave the club in the main save, after all such a good spell rarely comes around for most people.

Once you get to the point where you're winning or challenging for the league (or even CL) regularly (even if not always) it does get a little boring. However I've found that even if you do the same thing at many clubs, sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn't, which has kept me in my save for ages as I'll never have that success again. Having played intensely for a while and with FM10 looming I've found a good spot to leave and do part-time stuff until the new one comes out, but I've kept the original file, creating a back up so I can continue with something else from where I got up to while still leaving the door open to continue from where I left off if I feel like doing so, after all I'd have missed out on so much had I quit that save when I first felt like doing so a few months ago, and may be missing out plenty more there's time for before Oct 30th. It's not just with clubs you build up. Any sustained period of success leads to a feeling of wanting to do something different. My advice to anyone in this situation is to stick at it (maybe start a 2nd save if you want to have something to provide an occasional change) but never leave the club in the main save, after all such a good spell rarely comes around for most people.

This is a good idea. If you apply/get offered a job elsewhere, save the game before accepting, accept, then save again as a new file. that way you always have the option to go back and not be a traitor ;)

Well in that bit I actually meant a completely new save to play occasionally but I also mentioned the 'create new save file to continue on' option which I've done myself in my 'long term success but could do with something new' situation.

On a previous FM (I think it was FM05), I took Borussia Mönchengladbach, who'd I'd taken a fancy to after watching repeats of Liverpool's exploits in Europe in the 70's and 80's, to the top of Germany and even got them to the final of the Champions League (we lost to the much stronger Juventus). Then my beloved Liverpool came to me dangling a huge war-chest in front of my eyes. That, plus my love of the club, made me jump ship. I struggled with Liverpool and lost heart in that save game, then started anew. Regrets regrets :(

Archived