FM2010 blog 19 - some rules, awards and history improvements

you say "So there are just a handful of some of the new rules, awards and records in the game this year. You’ll get the chance to see lots of others yourself at the end of next month!"

Do you mean the end of october when the game is out or is something special going to happen on wednesday that no one knows about??? :)

Sounds great. Would there be any way to change the amateur status of a club? I can't imagine a club that always stays amateur would stay amateur if they got promoted up through a few leagues.

I agree. I dont understand the point of this feature. Why waste time implementing features that are detrimental to the gameplay.

you say "So there are just a handful of some of the new rules, awards and records in the game this year. You’ll get the chance to see lots of others yourself at the end of next month!"

Do you mean the end of october when the game is out or is something special going to happen on wednesday that no one knows about??? :)

Wednesday would be the end of this month.

All sound good, mostly fluff . Sometimes fluff is good though.

Miles, has the European Champions Cup & Euro Cup been updated to include the 'exceptional player rule' when registering 3 replacement players in February for the KO rounds?

UEFA currently allow clubs to register 1 player (from the 3) who's played for another club in Europe that season, but not in the same competition. FM currently excludes everyone who's played European club football for another club in that season.

Would be a very welcome addition for lots of top-flight gamers as we often sign players in January who we'd want to register, but can't do so.

The new features are kind of underwhelming to be honest. I mean yeah it's great that this has been updated, but it's hardly worthy of a whole blog. Don't get me wrong, i'm still buying the game (already pre-ordered) but does something this, well to put it bluntly, simple, need a whole blog?

Yes, why not? There have been a previous 18 blogs aswell so i dont see why the new rules shouldnt get a mention.

The new features are kind of underwhelming to be honest. I mean yeah it's great that this has been updated, but it's hardly worthy of a whole blog. Don't get me wrong, i'm still buying the game (already pre-ordered) but does something this, well to put it bluntly, simple, need a whole blog?

You get a new blog every day. Do you really expect their to be an array of incredible new features listed in every single one?

Miles, one of the things i've been wanting (and requesting) for years is a manager summary page more like the one clubs have at the moment so at a glance i can see my all time top scorer under me (for whatever team i'd managed), the team i've had the most points points with in a season ect. It could also include stats like number of promotions and relegations. I hate having to scroll through hundreds of entries to see your real achievements amongst loads of entries like 'knocked out in FA Cup fourth round'..

There should be a better summary page for players too. It would be nice to click say on a famous player and see at a glance on a summary page things like: 2 times world player of the year, 5 times top league goal scorer, 6 league title medals ect. Sure you can click on his history and see his acheivements but having them nicely summarised would be a great touch in my opinion. The information is already in the game, just needs to be presented to us a bit better.

Sounds great. Would there be any way to change the amateur status of a club? I can't imagine a club that always stays amateur would stay amateur if they got promoted up through a few leagues.

I imagine that this will only apply to a few clubs like Corinthians, who regard playing to Victorian standards of the game more important than winning trophies, all the better for them. A club like that would refuse a promtion rather than go semi- or fully prfessional, something Corinthians have actually done.

Given the brief mention of player histories is there any chance the the "polish" has extended to cleaning them up? Ie if you have a long game they don't a) look like a mess (I have always felt loans should be a hidden line under the parent career line - a bit like grouping on excel) , b) possibly end up with several rows of zeros because they played an international game that doesn't merit a career entry before being transfered (filtered career history i.e user defined levels of what constitutes a career) or c) additional tabs for career details - transfer, loan histories, and so on??

I am seriously hoping that it has been improved because for me it has always been the fly in the ointment - never game threatening but really damn irritating!

There should be a better summary page for players too. It would be nice to click say on a famous player and see at a glance on a summary page things like: 2 times world player of the year, 5 times top league goal scorer, 6 league title medals ect. Sure you can click on his history and see his acheivements but having them nicely summarised would be a great touch in my opinion. The information is already in the game, just needs to be presented to us a bit better.

I do this by putting all that sort of info in the players 'notes' section..

a bit of a pain because you have to organise it, but when its done, its useful information!!

Hi,

Dunno if i'll have an answer from SI, but will the reforms revealed by Platini a few weeks ago (the "Financial Fair-play") be included in the new rules for FM2010 ?

Thanks

The classic example is Queens Park in Scotland. They have been recently promoted, but its in their statute that they will never go professional.

Got concerned by this:

"Amateur clubs that would look to go semi-professional or professional in real life if they were to get promoted now do so, but clubs that are specified as always being amateur stay as amateur forever."

Does that mean that i can't take a lower-league club for bottom to top?

Archived