Manager Wages Need to Play a Bigger Part in FM

As Above Really.

Note: This is not a Rant

I think that manager wages is one of the key realism parts of FM that SI fails to deliver on. Belive it or not, you will find that nearly all manger sackings and hirings will have somthing to do with money, let me use an example.

Sven Goran Erikson recently joined Notts County as head of football and while many of us wonder why he took it, a prinicple factor was the money. But if Notts County had not been taken over by Mr Moneybags then you would think Sven would never dream of coming to a League Two club.

Why is this not implemented into FM into some way? One way this of putting this into the game is to create a Hall of Fame for the Manager who earns the most money.

Now I like many others on this forum do not want to fall down the FIFA manager path but surely a simple solution can be made here.

Thanks Saxonaitor :thup:

-> high income managers are less likely to be sacked (even more true if they have a longer contract). So wages do have a role to play in the game : job safety ;)

The hall of fame is a good idea but there are plenty of other features i would like to see improved or introduced before this.

I hate to go of topic and rant, but:

You seem to not understand; SI could easily concentrate on your desired features as well as this if they wanted to implement them. So don't put off other ideas because you've recently suggested being able to buy cake with your wages.

I like the idea of a wages hall of fame, would be good.

I hate to go of topic and rant, but:

You seem to not understand; SI could easily concentrate on your desired features as well as this if they wanted to implement them. So don't put off other ideas because you've recently suggested being able to buy cake with your wages.

I like the idea of a wages hall of fame, would be good.

I too like this idea of a wages hall of fame!

Thanks for the support towords a wages hall of fame guys :thup:

But can anyone else think of another way to make wages more important? I'm not talking anything major but somthing...

Hall of fame addition would be nice; I can't see it being a big job to code.

I think wages do the job right now - I don't think they should have a greater effect - certainly not if it means all the silly options that crop up such as buying a house or the club :rolleyes:

Perhaps you could link it to job availability as well. Say, if you started with sunday league reputation and unemployed you might not be able to get a job in the heart of major cities as you cant afford to live there yourself? I suppose it would add a degree of difficulty and should be able to turn the feature off if desired.

Also, if you start at a club and get sacked pretty quickly then the same scenario applies as you havent earnt enough money. Value on regions would come into play there also.

Not something i would be interested in personally but i could see some people enjoying that kind of challenge.

The only thing I'd like to see implemented regarding manager wages is if you have no transfer funds left and there's one player you just have to have it would be good to be able to finance the purchase using your 'savings' in the game. Actually if the club you are managing are in debt, being able to contribute to the paying off of some of it with your wages could be quite useful as well.

Hall of fame addition would be nice; I can't see it being a big job to code.

I'd also like to see my "previous" managers in the hall of fame (or something similar) if I begin a new game with a new manager.

-> high income managers are less likely to be sacked (even more true if they have a longer contract). So wages do have a role to play in the game : job safety ;)

this is how it MUST work at first (of course), but it will be good to find some others points in term of game. Dealing with your contract can be more stimulating (if a chairman gives you tons of money but has a poor team, in FM you don't mind about money, you decide in terms of team appeal, right?)

I don't mean "The sims" kind of feature, but something with a logic in a" manager soccer game" (dunno...the more you earn, the more the players respect you, follow you, learn from you...it's easier to handle them...the more/less pressure you have to manage...)

Some very good points made there Da Funk! :thup:

I feel this: it's easy to say "let's make that if you have X money you can "buy" characteristics like studying other languages (I can be French and speak English even if I'm not English with second nationality...), charisma, tactic/teaching efficiency/skills (players learn your instructions in an easier way) and so on....basically RPG elements.

But everytime you start a game you have to restart again with basic characteristics (or you can be able to "import" a developed manager...). This is just an idea (I think not many people may like this system....maybe me too :p), the hard is to find something realistic in terms of true soccer and gameplay. Manager wage is underused in terms of gameplay right now. Ideas are absolutely needed.

Good point Lollujo I might try that in future - I have always until now taken the least amount possible as my wages come out of the club expenses and mean nothing to me, but for added realism perhaps I should in future look to secure my "market worth" and not be afraid to move or ask for a new contract when presented with an increased offer from another team.

I'm currently getting £275,000 a week from Stoke as manager, I worked it out and its costing the club over £14m a year, yes the club can afford it, but Keirrison has scored over 1,500 goals for the club and up until recently he was only on £89,000 a week, so I was effectively earning more than 3x the clubs top player. Now he's on £125,000 a week, as a few of my top earners are. My wages are effectively on par with those of 2/3 world class players.

In the next few weeks I'll be getting a new contract too, and odds are it will take me closer to £400,000 a week... which in my opinion is far, far too much for a manager lol.

Because of my wages, I'm never approached for any job now - I'm not sure if any club would have to pay stoke compensation but considering most clubs seem to be too tight to go above £40,000 a week for manager wages it's unlikely anyone is willing to pick up my paypacket lol.

I will always try to earn as much money as possible. If I'm offered a new job on 3 or 4 times my current wage, I'll definately take it. It's what I'd do in real life, so it's what I do in game.

Exactly. The notion to accept lower wages is ludicrous - people don't do that. The idea of using wages to buy languages is plain stupid too - that's why I suggested that it doesn't need tinkering - too many suggestions are unrealistic or frivilous.

I've never been not offered a contract renewal before by my club... I've been sacked but always have had my contract renewed. Has anyone not got their contact renewed?

Yep, that happened to me in one of my early saves in FM09. In my second season with Celtic (of a two year contract), the boards expectations were win the league, reach the CL group stages and reach the Scottish cup final. I went out of the CL in the qualifiers stages, drew Rangers in the Scottish cup Semi final and lost to them and lost the league to them on the last day of the season. All through the season I kept getting news items that the board were scouting out replacements for me at the end of my contract and sure enough despite my repeated requests for a contract renewal they allowed it to expire and replaced me with my predecessor Gordon Strachan.

Exactly. The notion to accept lower wages is ludicrous - people don't do that.

People don't do that in real life because they have their reasons.

In FM you don't have a reason to deal with wage.

The idea of using wages to buy languages is plain stupid too - that's why I suggested that it doesn't need tinkering - too many suggestions are unrealistic or frivilous.

I didn't say it was a great idea or that I'd like to have such a thing, by the way. But it's better have one more idea than don't have it.

Too many suggestions are unrealistic? Does this mean that actual manager wage system is realistic? I don't find it realistic and I can't find his function in the gameplay.

If you leave it from the game and let just deal with the contract length (without money) the game wouldn't be different.

Yep, that happened to me in one of my early saves in FM09. In my second season with Celtic (of a two year contract), the boards expectations were win the league, reach the CL group stages and reach the Scottish cup final. I went out of the CL in the qualifiers stages, drew Rangers in the Scottish cup Semi final and lost to them and lost the league to them on the last day of the season. All through the season I kept getting news items that the board were scouting out replacements for me at the end of my contract and sure enough despite my repeated requests for a contract renewal they allowed it to expire and replaced me with my predecessor Gordon Strachan.

Well, that is indeed sad news!

1- Buy another club, and either become a beloved owner or use it for your bigger clubs deeds

2- Bribe your club's owner to be your slave :D (or just to avoid getting fired)

3- Somehow giving them to the club for now so that they can be more active in the transfer window (that would be awesome if you resigned from Premier League and went to the Semi-Pro teams)

I don't know why this has desended into chaos but I feel that loolujo's point made is a good one

I will always try to earn as much money as possible. If I'm offered a new job on 3 or 4 times my current wage, I'll definately take it. It's what I'd do in real life, so it's what I do in game.

Great! :thup: But still it seems that if you do this you do it for nothing. This is why I want somthing (does not have to be major) to show howw much we have earned.

Idea: Hall Of Fame for Gross amount of Wages Earned.

yeh i fink all deese ideaz r rly good lyk i wnt 2 b able 2 buy cars 4 my managa and stuff lyk dat rite.

That was unecessary. I stated in my original post that I did not want to follow the FIFA manager path.

Ridiculous feature... why i need to buy cars, houses and other things in FM????

The game needs other improvements, not this... pfff

:confused:

Have you read my opening post at all? This is exatcly what I don't want to happen....

:confused:

Have you read my opening post at all? This is exatcly what I don't want to happen....

LOL. Sax - I'm with you but my recommendation to leave things as they are is precisely because of this nonsense! :rolleyes:

And Sublime - you do realise that your IQ is way above the limits of some of these kids, don't you? :cool:

LOL. Sax - I'm with you but my recommendation to leave things as they are is precisely because of this nonsense! :rolleyes:

And Sublime - you do realise that your IQ is way above the limits of some of these kids, don't you? :cool:

People these days..... :p

Archived