Vista or Xp?

Abaka

What OS would you believe to be best with running a FM game? Back in FM 06 and 07 I used my laptop with XP and the game ran remarkably faster, then the laptop broke and I eventually bought a new one that came with Vista. Strange that the new laptop had lots of HD space and a better processor and alot more RAM yet it seemed to run a lot slower on the new laptop?

I got a new laptop in April there that I have used to play FM 09, this laptop is far more superior than the previous one and it still ran the game quite slow.

I am aware that Vista requires a lot more RAM to run than XP so I'm considering switching to XP for running FM 2010 because the slowness of FM 09 is really doing my head in. Anybody else switched from Vista to XP because of this game?

To be honest, I'm not going to be able to afford Windows 7. The reason why I wanna play the game faster is because I'm not working for the next few months. So FM is going to be ran alot more than usual!

I still have the XP disc and serial number so it would cost nothing to "downgrade" to XP again

To be honest, I'm not going to be able to afford Windows 7. The reason why I wanna play the game faster is because I'm not working for the next few months. So FM is going to be ran alot more than usual!

I still have the XP disc and serial number so it would cost nothing to "downgrade" to XP again

I'd guess it would run quicker as XP doesnt use as many resources. As i say, its just a guess though.

TBH check out for the official system spec before you make a commitment. As in do you just need to upgrade your RAM as apposoed to changing the OS. If you can't afford windows 7 then maybe XP will be fine, however I have no problems with Vista. I am not anticipating any problems when I pick up FM '10.

I've been running Windows 7 RC for several months now and can tell you it is faster and more stable than Vista and looks nicer than XP (my opinion).

I have ran FM08 & FM09 on Windows 7 and they both perform very well. If you have Vista then FM will run with no problems just make sure you have all the service packs installed as it was only once these were released that Vista improved.

If you really want Windows 7 they are doing a student offer at the moment which is about £40 but I'm not sure where from. You do however have to kidnapp a student first to qualify (I do not condone the use of violence)

7 or vista, xp is basically a dead operating system now, the only reason people think its still amazing is because computer specs have advanced to the stage beyond xp

i see no problems with vista in my opinion, havent found anything i use daily that doesnt run

Well I am a student, so then perhaps that Windows 7 for £40 might be a worthwhile venture for me!

I have all the service packs and updates but it still runs miles slow. I tried my FM save on a XP computer a few weeks ago and noticed it ran a lot quicker, so that is whats tipping my opinion!

Well I am a student, so then perhaps that Windows 7 for £40 might be a worthwhile venture for me!

I have all the service packs and updates but it still runs miles slow. I tried my FM save on a XP computer a few weeks ago and noticed it ran a lot quicker, so that is whats tipping my opinion!

Click on the link below to give more info about the offer, I would def recommend Windows 7 as I say previously I have been using for some time.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/software/news/2009/09/18/Microsoft-Offers-Windows-7-to-Students-For--30/p1

I would choose Windows 7 for obvious reasons. XP is getting old while Vista is too slow for gaming!!

I will choose NOT Win7 cause it IS slow, I don't care if it is Nvidia drivers or MS or directX, the fact is a simple game like Team Fortress 2 lags even with AA and AF disabled, while it ran smoothly max-ed out on XP and Vista

Windows 7 needs a clean install, not an upgrade from XP/Vista and AFAIK there are no upgrade version of Win7.

Windows 7 comes as two versions on the same disc upgrade and clean install. According to Microsoft.

This may alter from country to country.

Windows 7 comes as two versions on the same disc upgrade and clean install. According to Microsoft.

This may alter from country to country.

We Brits have to do a clean install apparently. Also Windows 7 doesn't come with a browser because of the interfering EU so you'll have to download a browser as well as reinstall all your other stuff.

We Brits have to do a clean install apparently. Also Windows 7 doesn't come with a browser because of the interfering EU so you'll have to download a browser as well as reinstall all your other stuff.

How do you download a browser without a browser to begin with?!

Stupid ruling from the EU really... it's like saying putting tyres on a car is illegal because it doesn't offer the consumer choice...

How do you download a browser without a browser to begin with?!

Stupid ruling from the EU really... it's like saying putting tyres on a car is illegal because it doesn't offer the consumer choice...

There will be a choice of what browser to install with the OS. The choices will include at least IE8, FF, Opera and Chrome. Also, there will be an upgrade version of Win7 for Europe as well, since MS managed to overcome their initial difficulties in upgrading Vista with IE to Win7 without IE. I just can't understand why someone would like to upgrade, since a clean install is always preferable and less troublesome with Windows.

Intriguingly the Student £30 offer states that the applicant must have " a PC that is currently running a genuine copy of Windows Vista or Windows XP and can run Windows 7."

Don't know whether that means that only the upgrade version will be available (annoying if true) or whether they will be doing a WGA scan of the PC first when the order is placed. Both of those scenarios will be bad news for me as I have been running Windows 7 RC1 (legitimate) as my sole OS for a few months now. I have a (legitimate) Vista serial number which came with my laptop, but no installation discs.

Hopefully it will just be a complete version ISO which will boot from the bios and do a fresh install. We shall see.

What OS would you believe to be best with running a FM game? Back in FM 06 and 07 I used my laptop with XP and the game ran remarkably faster, then the laptop broke and I eventually bought a new one that came with Vista. Strange that the new laptop had lots of HD space and a better processor and alot more RAM yet it seemed to run a lot slower on the new laptop?

I got a new laptop in April there that I have used to play FM 09, this laptop is far more superior than the previous one and it still ran the game quite slow.

I am aware that Vista requires a lot more RAM to run than XP so I'm considering switching to XP for running FM 2010 because the slowness of FM 09 is really doing my head in. Anybody else switched from Vista to XP because of this game?

I'm using Windows 7 and everything runs like a dream so far :)

Ahhhh the delights of being required to work from home occasionally.

I told my boss of the slow running of my laptop (particularly when VPN to work) and recommended Windows 7 so thats now ordered. I then managed to blag an 8 meg flash drive to be used with ready boost ( Windows 7 can use part of the flash drive as ram (assuming the USB port and flash drive are quick enough (assuming this works better than it did on Windows Vista))

Some interesting ReadyBoost facts:

Windows 7 allows up to eight devices for a maximum of 256 GB of additional memory

Microsoft recommends the amount of flash memory for ReadyBoost acceleration be one to three times the amount of random access memory (RAM) in your computer.

I have 4gb of RAM in my machine, suppose I should try and find a 4 or 8gb USB 2.0 stick from somewhere!

Have they said that fm2010 will use more RAM?

I've not heard anything about that so I assume it won't. It will be the same as fm2009 - running on a maximum of about 2Gb and anything more is completely unnecessary. More RAM won't make your game any faster because it won't be used.

I will choose NOT Win7 cause it IS slow, I don't care if it is Nvidia drivers or MS or directX, the fact is a simple game like Team Fortress 2 lags even with AA and AF disabled, while it ran smoothly max-ed out on XP and Vista

How do you have Windows 7 when it isn't released yet?

The RC1 was freely available to the public until about 6 weeks ago.

The RTM version went out at least a month ago.

Technet users have had access to the full vesion for ages.

Public release is 22nd October.

I've been using RC1 as my primary O/S since June and its superb.

I've not heard anything about that so I assume it won't. It will be the same as fm2009 - running on a maximum of about 2Gb and anything more is completely unnecessary. More RAM won't make your game any faster because it won't be used.

with proper software you can use that ram in your favour. with that http://www.superspeed.com/desktop/ramdisk.php I set windows swap file to ramdisk, I'll put my savegames there, it will take 2-3 seconds instead 2-3 minutes !!!

with proper software you can use that ram in your favour. with that http://www.superspeed.com/desktop/ramdisk.php I set windows swap file to ramdisk, I'll put my savegames there, it will take 2-3 seconds instead 2-3 minutes !!!

That won't help you one bit with regard to an fm game. Think about it! How on earth is that going to make the game (or any applications) run faster? by using more RAM than it has to? It's beyond stupid.

I have 2gb RAM at the moment. Running Vista Pro so thats half of it gone. Then I am on the internet and msn, and often playing a bit of music.

Suddenly my Resources are a bit shaky, especially as I push my system to the limit and go for realism over speed (I run about 10 nations and 28 leagues).

I think Readyboost (assuming it works better than on vista) will help. :)

I have 2gb RAM at the moment. Running Vista Pro so thats half of it gone. Then I am on the internet and msn, and often playing a bit of music.

Suddenly my Resources are a bit shaky, especially as I push my system to the limit and go for realism over speed (I run about 10 nations and 28 leagues).

I think Readyboost (assuming it works better than on vista) will help. :)

Hello?

Earth calling CWR15. I have a very simple and obvious solution. GET MORE RAM!

It's dirt cheap - you don't need software or OS solutions.

Hello?

Earth calling CWR15. I have a very simple and obvious solution. GET MORE RAM!

It's dirt cheap - you don't need software or OS solutions.

First off, it's not as easy to upgrade on a laptop, secondly I have 6 months warranty left on said laptop. I could send it back to them, ask for the upgrade and wait to get it back, but then I have no laptop for a period of time and they are changing me a fortune.

This is a simple, cheap, and effective method of increasing performance without invalidating my warranty (and I can also whack the usb stick in another machine and get the boost on that system too.

The final benefit to Readyboost is if you have expanded your RAM to capacity, you can still use this.

This is of course assuming readyboost has been improved for 7 over vista.

First off, it's not as easy to upgrade on a laptop, secondly I have 6 months warranty left on said laptop. I could send it back to them, ask for the upgrade and wait to get it back, but then I have no laptop for a period of time and they are changing me a fortune.

This is a simple, cheap, and effective method of increasing performance without invalidating my warranty (and I can also whack the usb stick in another machine and get the boost on that system too.

The final benefit to Readyboost is if you have expanded your RAM to capacity, you can still use this.

This is of course assuming readyboost has been improved for 7 over vista.

Actually, upgrading a laptop isn't that difficult although you might have to pull out some bits to get at the mobo. I recommend visiting crucial.com and finding out how much RAM you can install into it. It's a great site and you can't really go wrong if you follow the instructions. After that try looking on youtube and almost guaranteed there will be someone showing how to install RAM for your laptop model - it's pretty straightforward and will add a good chunk to the useful lifespan of your laptop.

With a 6 month warranty I wouldn't worry about it. Your laptop is going to last a lot longer if you take care of it by opening it up and cleaning out the gunk. Your fans are probably pretty clogged up and the sooner you clean it out the better.

That won't help you one bit with regard to an fm game. Think about it! How on earth is that going to make the game (or any applications) run faster? by using more RAM than it has to? It's beyond stupid.

beyond stupid is talk crap when clueless, 4Gb system winxp 32bit

free drive, takes that lost ram with 32bit, still leaves 3,25Gb available, I could add another 768Mb-1Gb with no problem still leaves me plenty

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/5783/hdtunebenchmarksuperspe.png

HDD speed

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4687/hdtunebenchmarkhitachihej.png

ReadyBoost no thanks you, read that as ReadySSSlow

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/5897/hdtunebenchmarkkingston.png

Archived