FM10 (EDITOR) - Create County Championship??

Do you think creating a 'County Championship' is a good idea?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think creating a 'County Championship' is a good idea?

• Brilliant
    • It might work
    • What's the point
    • It will never work

Do you think it will be possible to scrap the 'League Cup' and replace it with a new competition (e.g County Cup/Championship)?

I have always thought that in the "real" game, they should do this and replace it with a County Championship (as in cricket). Although I know that to do this would be a big challenge and there could be many ways that it COULD be done.

So when I discovered that SI are claiming that the new Data Editor (FM10) can create competitions in the game. I imediatley thought of creating 'The County Championship Cup'.

My main question is, do you think this is possible and how difficult or easy do you think it will be?

County Championship

There are few ways this could be implemented, this is what I think. If anyone can think of any other way, please post your thoughts.

First Way

Create Mini League for each County. Teams then play each other within their County (e.g Villa, Birmingham, Wolves, West Brom e.t.c. Play in the 'West Midlands County League')

Then the winner from each 'County Mini League' play each other in the County Championship. (e.g Villa win in the West Midlands, Portsmouth win in Hampshire, Blackburn win in Lancashire e.t.c. All winners then qualify for County Championship)

The 'County Championship' could then be decided by either Knockout or another League.

This way creates more derby games (which everybody loves) and the chance for smaller teams to compete in a major competition.

Second Way (i think this way maybe to difficult to create in the new editor)

Create NEW teams (e.g East Sussex F.C, Somerset F.C e.t.c)

These teams then compete in the 'County Championship' league.

The problem I find this way is that how do you decide which players play for which team?

(e.g West Midlands F.C can only pick players who were born in the West Midlands OR West Midlands F.C can only pick players who play for teams within the West Midlands OR County teams pick and trade which ever players they want)

Please let me know what you think of my idea. Thanks

I think the 2nd way is preferred. I used to play Rugby and what used to happen when you get called up to play for the county is that you had to play for a team from that county (obviously lol), place of birth was irrelavent. Similar to an international call up, but only using players that play in that particular region. The one pitfall of this is that if you were in an area with one dominating team, a lot of the players would come from that team.

i reckon the 2nd way, although bette,r could be like mini call ups, would be impossible to do as it would require players to play for 2 different clubs at the same time.

the 1st way i like still, but an east sussex comp would be pretty one sided as brighton are only proffesional team in sussex

same for suffolk with ipswich and what the hell would cornwall do?!

I think the 2nd way is preferred. I used to play Rugby and what used to happen when you get called up to play for the county is that you had to play for a team from that county (obviously lol), place of birth was irrelavent. Similar to an international call up, but only using players that play in that particular region. The one pitfall of this is that if you were in an area with one dominating team, a lot of the players would come from that team.

Good point.

Maybe implementing a rule *Team can only pick a max of two players from each Football Club?

i reckon the 2nd way, although bette,r could be like mini call ups, would be impossible to do as it would require players to play for 2 different clubs at the same time.

the 1st way i like still, but an east sussex comp would be pretty one sided as brighton are only proffesional team in sussex

I agree some County Leagues would be pretty poor, but like I said, it's a chance for the smaller teams to compete.

Actually can anyone name a team from the Football League that would play in Cornwall???

I can't think of one, which would balls up that idea!!

If you could do the 2nd way, and put that up for download, that'd be fab, I think!

I prefer this way myself but thought it maybe too difficult to achieve.

Maybe?

Scrap league cup so that those match dates can be used for county competition. Then create a competition similar to the world cup (instead of national teams use county teams) and players can be called up to represent their county?

Still unsure of what the rules would be?

I think a Reigion Championship would be better, i.e. a London championship, an East Anglian Championship and a Southern Championship, etc.

Would be better than just a county league, Norfolk would be Kings Lynn and Norwich. Not a great Championship.

I'm planning to do this for FM10

If its any good, and no-one else does it first, I'll put it up here

Maybe you could replace some rubbish national teams with the county teams, prevent them from entering the world cup, and have them playing each other?

Problem there would be that English players couldn't then play for England in the WC... maybe scrap the England team all together?

I like the first idea, and plan to do something similar in the Scottish League Cup, a qualifying round then league stage.

Round 1, 2 - Bottom 3 leagues playoff (1 leg, ET, pens) for 8 spots

Group Stage - 12 SPL teams + 8 qualifiers

4 groups of 5, separated regionally, play each once, top team qualifies from group

Semi finals at Hampden, 1 game, ET, pens

Final at Hampden, 1 game, ET, pens

I have a question?

In germany they have state cup tournements ex. (landespokal sachsen-Anhalt). In this tournement play only teams out of the certain state. Is it possible to create that trounement?

I mean the league editor is already nice but a local tournement would top simply everything. FM 10 will rule all managers!

Thanks,

Willy

Ummm, Southend on Sea? And besides Ipswich don't evan qualify to be a team ;)

I have a question?

In germany they have state cup tournements ex. (landespokal sachsen-Anhalt). In this tournement play only teams out of the certain state. Is it possible to create that trounement?

I mean the league editor is already nice but a local tournement would top simply everything. FM 10 will rule all managers!

Thanks,

Willy

I haven't played the german league before, so i'm gonna go check it out. See if I can use the basis of that tournament to create the county championship. Cheers;)

Personally I think this idea of a county cup might be a lot harder to implement than we realise. At the moment the editor has a field for cities, but as far as I know there is nothing in the database to say which county they are in. So perhaps you would have to set up an individual cup for each county and specify exactly which teams are to enter which cup, this will obviously take a bit of time for research and editing.

I really like the first idea. You could even (for counties with lots of teams) make that into tiered leagues as well e.g Yorkshire Premier league (Sheff Utd, Leeds) Div One (Barnsley, Huddersfield) And put the teams into the leagues like that. That way would also work well in the North East. E.g Newcastle, Sunderland etc and then Hartlepool, Gateshead etc.

Personally I think this idea of a county cup might be a lot harder to implement than we realise. At the moment the editor has a field for cities, but as far as I know there is nothing in the database to say which county they are in.

I gotta agree, the more I think about this, the more difficult it seems. The only thing I have in my favour (I think) is Longitude and Latitude., but that alone is gonna involve alot of programming!!:confused:

You know that there are already County Cups in real life (e.g. Hertfordshire Senior Cup) right? Some of which are listed here: link.

I just found this image on 'Football Manager Wiki'. If you look at the dropdown menu it shows 'English County Leagues' :confused:Have SI already done this for me:confused:

That would be 'County' level non-League football (e.g. step 5 and below). See link here for the full English Pyramid: link.

Regards,

C.

Archived