FM10 - Playing in Italy, but as who?

Hi all,

As a very ocassional poster I'm not sure if there is a more appropriate forum for stuff like this??

Used to love playing in Italian leagues in CM/FM, but haven't had a great Italian game since probably CM4.

So, for my first game of FM 10 I'm going to play as a team in Serie A (probably not one of the 'big 3' but not relegation fodder, expecting to finish Europa League or just below ideally, could challenge for 4th if we have a blinder)

As I know very little of Serie A at the moment, I wondered if anyone has any interesting suggestions? Anyone else planning a similar level Italian club & who have you chosen & why?

Thanks in advance for any input!

I'd go with Lazio. It'd be a nice challenge trying to take them from being an average mid-table side to becoming a superpower again.

I'm thinking about giving it a go myself when FM10 comes out.

Super Power? Yes they won the Italian league / runner-up on a few separate occasions, and won the cup winners cup and runner-up in the uefa cup and won a domestic cups. I think around 1996-2000. Did you mean domestic super power. I admit that they had a good team with that 'swede' but I would not call them a former super power.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. The ones who interest me the most are Sampdoria, Napoli & Genoa. I like the idea of Genoa having 9 titles but none since 1924 & Samp and Napoli have some fantastic players!

If there's an Italian league demo, I think I'm going to holiday through the demo & whoever is highest of these 3 by end of demo, I'll start with them :)

Sampdoria or Udinese should be your choices I'd say. Judging on both their starts to this season, they look a good bet for Europa League, possibly an outside bet for Champs given the situation at A.C. Milan. You could always go as Juventus though and take them back to the glory days when they didnt match fix!

You have chosen wisely, Genoa, Samp or Napoli are what you are looking for. Maybe even a bit too strong, in that case you could try Palermo or Udinese.

Genoa for example are now the sensation of Serie A, they play a very peculiar 3-4-3, it would be nice to try and mirror that in FM. Sampdoria you have Cassano (they're top of the league now, although they will collapse in the winter as every Del Neri team does) plus solid mid-table players, it could be nice.

Don't forget FM games tend to be on the easier side of things, with teams overperforming under your guidance more often than not...

So unless FM2010 is different, you could almost easily bring a team like Fiorentina, Genoa or Samp to a Champions League finish anyway.

Ditto for AC Milan, which, despite a rather laughabe real life situation, still hold their own well in the game.

AS Roma could be an interesting challenge, but only if they will be struggling with money, forcing you to sell players, ending up with a thin roster. But if their balance is ok, don't bother... too easy.

For an actual challenge for an Europa League berth, Palermo will work just fine. Or you can see what you can do with Parma... a good mix of youth and experience, but "obscure" enough not to get a generous treatment by the game in terms of reputation and skills.

So:

Group A (many star players, good rep and money. Very likely CL finish)

AC Milan

Fiorentina

AS Roma (hopefully struggling with money, for realism sake)

Group B (a couple of excellent players, solid rosters)

Lazio

Genoa

Sampdoria

Udinese

Napoli

Group C (no star players but still workable, although with less money and lower rep)

Palermo

Parma

Anything else is mid-table material at best, but sure (I guess) nothing you could possibly lead to an Europa League finish, probably not even with a super-tactic

I don't know too much about the lower ends of the Italian league. But If I wanted a team outside the big 3 I would also pick Lazio.

Without going into the editor I would guess they have a higher rep than the other mid to low teams in Serie A so you could attract some decent players and they will already have a good squad to work with, without being over dominant.

Be Udinese. Not the biggest of clubs in real life, but very well run and have been in Serie A for as long as I can remember. Some very good young players like Zapata, Felipe, Asamoah and Sanchez, as well as good players like Inler, Handanovic and Pepe.

how many of the threads are we going to have? just play who you want and not keep asking, you will be asking for what to have for dinner next

As I said in my orignal post I am an ocassional poster on these forums. Responses like this are the reason why, but thanks for the input anyway.

Now you mention it, I have no idea what I'm going to have for dinner tonight?? Do quite fancy Italian though..

• 3 months later...

Archived