When do you hard tackle players?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gubbs:

I hard tackle anyone with bravery <=10 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

is that effective? I'll give that a try.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Poor Jewell:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gubbs:

is that effective? I'll give that a try. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen it recommended, and I've tried it on several occasions, but I haven't seen any particular benefits from it.

I use Cleon's advice for my mentality in individual player instructions, such as 17+ hard, 15+ normal, 12+ easy. This usually works but it ends up with my defenders having a couple of yellows in a season. That wavours itself out generally though with fewer goals, so I'm not bothered.

For opposition instructions it depends on the players personality, fitness and if I think they are injury prone. I never go in hard though in the last 20 minutes. Just a waste.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I use Cleon's advice for my mentality in individual player instructions, such as 17+ hard, 15+ normal, 12+ easy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For some reason, the whole idea of tackling more gently when playing defensively never made much sense to me.

Easy, Normal and Hard don't represent how physically hard they challenge the ball in my opinion. It's how many tackles they will attempt. If my best tackler came up against a 20% chance of winning the ball he will take it because his on hard. I don't want my striker trying a silly challenge when he is so far up field so therefore I set him to Easy where he is more likely to only challenge for a ball he knows he will win.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vervatov:

Easy, Normal and Hard don't represent how physically hard they challenge the ball in my opinion. It's how many tackles they will attempt. If my best tackler came up against a 20% chance of winning the ball he will take it because his on hard. I don't want my striker trying a silly challenge when he is so far up field so therefore I set him to Easy where he is more likely to only challenge for a ball he knows he will win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In other words, the greater likelihood of a card when tackling is set to "hard" is owing to the greater frequency of tackles rather than the greater intensity? I suppose that's possible, but is there any data or documentation to support that?

Even if it's true, it is still illogical that a more attacking mentality would necessarily entail more frequent tackling.

I'm not saying anything is true, I am just saying that is my interperation and how my game works. Like someone said before, your game is completely different to anyone else's the second you click the continue button.

But I reckon it is a combination of the physical intensity and frequency. But if you think about would you have a rather average tackler in the Premier League trying to tackle roughly on a difficult striker where the striker is more likely to receive the ball. If it is on easy the player will wait for his chance, maybe conceding the goal, but my tactic relies on defense without much attacking flair which means there is always 2 players ready on one player.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vervatov:

I'm not saying anything is true, I am just saying that is my interperation and how my game works. Like someone said before, your game is completely different to anyone else's the second you click the continue button.

But I reckon it is a combination of the physical intensity and frequency. But if you think about would you have a rather average tackler in the Premier League trying to tackle roughly on a difficult striker where the striker is more likely to receive the ball. If it is on easy the player will wait for his chance, maybe conceding the goal, but my tactic relies on defense without much attacking flair which means there is always 2 players ready on one player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But I still don't see a logical connection with attacking/defending mentality. Maybe I'm being dim (wouldn't be the first time), but to me, harder tackling (whether in frequency, intensity, or a combination thereof), if it were related to mentality at all, would be associated with a defensive mentality, not an attacking one. But I see it more as a particular approach to defending against a particular player rather than an entire team.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnerfan:

But I reckon it is a combination of the physical intensity and frequency. But if you think about would you have a rather average tackler in the Premier League trying to tackle roughly on a difficult striker where the striker is more likely to receive the ball. If it is on easy the player will wait for his chance, maybe conceding the goal, but my tactic relies on defense without much attacking flair which means there is always 2 players ready on one player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But I still don't see a logical connection with attacking/defending mentality. Maybe I'm being dim (wouldn't be the first time), but to me, harder tackling (whether in frequency, intensity, or a combination thereof), if it were related to mentality at all, would be associated with a defensive mentality, not an attacking one. But I see it more as a particular approach to defending against a particular player rather than an entire team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't see hardness of tackling been linked with mentality in the way you are making it out to be. That would mean that you would just make hardness of tackling on the very highest tab and your defenders would win nearly every ball. I think it's linked more with the intensity and frequency of tackles more than anything else, and maybe player ability. I'm sure Cleon or wwfan could clear this up for us. By the way I don't think you're thick, you're having a decent, well structured debate with me about the game system, not thick at all.

I think you may jave misunderstood me - when I questioned the linking of tackling to mentality, I was referring to the recommendation mentioned above (and I have seen it before in the Tactics Forum) that you set tackling to easy when playing with a defensive mentality and hard when playing an attacking mentality.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnerfan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Poor Jewell:

I've seen it recommended, and I've tried it on several occasions, but I haven't seen any particular benefits from it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always do this and personally find it very effective, particularly on wingers.

This, combined with showing a winger onto their weaker foot can in my experience pretty much take a low bravery winger out of the game and lead to him getting a 6 rating for the match.

It doesn't work every time, but it works often enough for me to consider it successful and keep using it.

I also hard tackle any player who's condition is 90% or below in the hope I can drop their condition even more or perhaps injure them.

Apart from that all other players are set to mixed tackling in the tactics and I never use easy tackling.

I've seen it recommended, and I've tried it on several occasions, but I haven't seen any particular benefits from it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As chopper [appropriate name!] said, it can be very effective. I also sometimes use it on an oppo who's just been given a yellow card, to goad him into getting a red.

I often see the benefits - the pundit's 'player to watch' disappearing out of the game and being subbed with a 5 rating is not uncommon.

I hard tackle when I need to. home matches, when I need to score (especially at the end of the match)...all under the idea to get the ball back as soon as possibile. allmost never hard tackle fast and skilfull strikers.

I played against a Portsmouth side in the Cup who had bought Downing and he stuffed me. I had Bentley playing RM against Downing with just normal tackling.

A week later i had them in the legue so i played Alan Smith RM with tackling set to hard. Downing never wne t near the ball and did nothing.

Maybe a coincidence, but maybe he was scared. Or maybe he was too busy laughing at Smith's hair. Anyway it's an experiment i'm going to continue with, ie get my team to kick little wingers.

icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spengler:

I played against a Portsmouth side in the Cup who had bought Downing and he stuffed me. I had Bentley playing RM against Downing with just normal tackling.

A week later i had them in the legue so i played Alan Smith RM with tackling set to hard. Downing never wne t near the ball and did nothing.

Maybe a coincidence, but maybe he was scared. Or maybe he was too busy laughing at Smith's hair. Anyway it's an experiment i'm going to continue with, ie get my team to kick little wingers.

icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've noticed this with Downing as well. I think it works well against him because his bravery's only 9. Check his bravery attribute in your game to see if it's also low. If so that's the reason; he bottled it when being hard tackled by a brave, aggresive player like Smith.

never since the eduardo incident, also...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dirty1982dec:

i hard tackle arsenal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

twat.

Archived