PDA

View Full Version : [FM09] It's not plain sailing

lollujo
25-09-2009, 19:21
This is my second run at an FM09 LLM career. The first one is here (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=115506) if you want to read it. To cut a long story short, my thread was closed after I spent the last 5 years of my 25 year career winning lots of trophies with Peterborough United. The subsequent bashing I got from members of the LLM forum accusing me of cheating actually led to me giving up on FM completely - apart from testing FM10, I've been nowhere near it for 5 months. And as I've been playing it a couple of times a week for at least the previous 12 years, that was a bid deal! I'm now fully rested up and ready to go again though...

One of the main problems with my Peterborough save was that I was playing on a small database with only the British leagues and Switzerland loaded. This meant that after 15-20 seasons of play, good quality players were few and far between as it was such a small database. This led to my Posh team cornering the market on talented young players, as I had the scouting network and resources to sign every highly recommended youngster my scouts found. Unfortunately, this led to a pretty uninteresting game, as it became impossible for my team to do anything but win.

So this time around, I'm loading up a large database, and every league from Argentina, Brazil, England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain. I've also retained all players from England, as that's where my story starts. So hopefully the database will always be big enough to stop me or anyone else cornering the market for talent. To make things extra interesting, I've also decided against using real player names, so there's no way I can base transfer decisions on information I know from real life. Other than this, I'll be playing very much in an LLM style. I'm playing on the 9.3 patch. Attribute masking is turned on.

For anyone not familiar with LLM, the idea is to play the game as close to real life as it is possible to be. The basic guidelines I'm playing to are:

All tactics will be my own creations, not downloaded or copied from anyone else
All training plans will also be my creations, again with no downloads or copies
I won't be going near the player search screen, as there is no equivalent to this in the real world
I will only sign players found by my scouts, or who I would know about in game (ie. I've played against them, I've been linked to them by the media)
I will be starting with an automatic reputation, as I have no footballing experience in real life
I won't be sharing any tips or tactics in this thread
Most importantly, I will be basing my decisions in game on what I would do in real life. So if a club offers to double my salary in a new job, chances are I'll take it. Likewise, if I'm offered a job in the Brazilian lower leagues, the money will have to be amazing for me to even consider it!

Again, inkeeping with the idea of realism, I have chosen to start with the nearest BSN/BSS team to where I live (I live in Peterborough), so I will be starting with King's Lynn in the Blue Square North.

Pre-season update to follow shortly...

lollujo
25-09-2009, 19:56
King's Lynn Football Club

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/14/Kinglynn.png

So the story starts in July 2008, at The Walks Stadium, home of King's Lynn FC. The chairman has handed me a 3 year contract on 190 per week, and told me he's looking for a mid table finish. To achieve this, I've got a squad of has-beens, never-was' and too-young-to-tells. Along with a transfer kitty of 3.5K and a weekly wage budget of 1.4K. The current wage bill is 995 per week, so I have some room to play with there.

The first problem I come across is that Norwich and Cambridge are both listed as parent clubs. As English clubs aren't allowed parent clubs by FA rules, I cancel the Norwich link immediately, but I can't cancel the Cambridge one until next summer. I just won't take any players from them in the meantime.

Our starting bank balance is 39,433. We have a 1 year kit sponsorship deal in place for 15K that expires next summer. Average ticket prices are 10, average season tickets are 204. There are 200 season ticket holders. Summary of all that information = this is a very small football club! Suprisingly, our estimated value is the highest in the division though at 425K. There must be some hidden potential that I can't see yet!

Perhaps it's the ground, which is a decent size for this level with a capacity of 8200 (1200 seats). This could lead to some decent income from cup runs. The stadium is in good condition, and we're blessed with basic youth and training facilities.

The media are expecting us to finish in 15th place. If we do that, the board should be happy to, so hopefully I've got an achievable season ahead of me.

The kindest way to describe my backroom staff is that they're OK. There's the assistant manager, a coach and a physio who are all fairly average for this level. The scout is terrible, but the board will let me have another one, so an advert is placed at the job centre. Strangely, my 22 year old DMC also doubles up as a rather good GK coach. In fact, his stats show him to be the best coach at the club, so I offer him a new deal as a player/coach, and he starts training the rest of the lads.

The board will only allow me to scout England, so I send the terrible scout out to see what he can find. He's soon joined by a slightly better scout who applied through the job centre. He was unemployed, so no transfer fee for him.

Between the 2 of them and the England Trials Day, they find me about 30 players who all come on trial over the summer. 14 of them become permanent signings (basically 1 for each position, a spare GK and a utility man). I also decided to splash 1000 on a central midfielder who becomes the only player I pay money for all summer. I added a couple of season long loans as well, and identified 6 players who were already at the club who should be good enough to stay in my squad by playing friendlies and consulting with my assistant. During this time, I released 14 players (some of them frees to other clubs, the rest cancelled non-contract players and mutual terminations). I also sent one of the loans back, as he broke his leg in the final pre-season friendly.

After all this wheeler-dealing, I'm left with a first team squad of 22 (unspectacular but solid) first team players, plus 8 youth players (who are self financing because of youth grants). The total weekly wage bill of my new look 30 man squad is 1308 (100 under budget!), and our bank balance sits at a healthy 61,295, thanks to sponsorship, season ticket sales, and a couple of pre-season friendlies against league clubs.

All of which brings me to the start of my first season. I'll post another update at the end of the season (I'm about half way through at the moment).

Cheers

Kev

Raware
26-09-2009, 04:00
Good luck with this Kev. I followed your progress in your other thread and was disappointed to see the bashing you got. I received the very same thing and my thread, From Hong Kong With Love, was closed in LLM with no reason other than "I may have cheated" simply because I had a little success and I posted about tactics. Not asking for tactics but quering the ambiguity of them in 09. Funnily enough, that was what instigated my push for the creation of this forum and I'm delighted that people are finding their way here and posting their stories. So, without yours or my threads being closed in LLM, this forum may not have been created!

Anyway, like I said, good luck with this. I play my games in the same way and I shall be interested in seeing how you do :thup:.

Saxonaitor
26-09-2009, 10:13
Another well done from me Kev!

I shall be following this very closely as Norfolk is my home county and every team around that area execpt for Ipswich I feel for. ;)

To be honest I feel the LLM forum is a bit of a joke. For people like me who play the game slowly and get a season done every month will never get a career started and evan if they do, to be accused of cheating just because you win titles is just a disgrace. However I feel the LLM game rules are good and I may be looking to do this with my next game. (To my viewers that does not mean i'm quitting my save any time soon)

Hope you have a good time with Kings Lynn, prehaps you may get to Norwich in the future ;).

WH
26-09-2009, 10:21
I will also be watching as i am one of those 200 season ticket holders you speak of. :D Good luck.

lollujo
26-09-2009, 10:23
Thanks folks. This forum certainly seems a lot more relaxed about rules and things than LLM, so hopefully I can just enjoy posting about my save and read what other people are up to without worrying that I'm winning too much!

As for managing Norwich one day - I might look to use them as a stepping stone on my way to the biggest club in East Anglia, the mighty Posh... :D

lollujo
27-09-2009, 16:01
King's Lynn FC - Blue Square North - 2008/09

We had a great start to the season, and up until Christmas I thought we were serious title contenders. Unfortunatey, around this time several of our key players picked up injuries, including a long term one for our star man. We started to slip down the table, and managed to scrape into the playoffs by the skin of our teeth. It wasn't to be though, and we were knocked out in the semi-finals by Gateshead, who had been top of the league for most of the season and just outclassed us. We had no fit senior forwards for either leg, so didn't really stand much of a chance with untried youngsters up front...

League Table (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/leaguetable.jpg)
League Position Graph (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/positiongraph.jpg)

We had some good runs in all of the cups though, and prize money and gate receipts from these, along with some pretty frugal management, led to our bank balance sitting at 306,464 by the end of the season, a profit for the season of 286,231.

FA Cup (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/positiongraph.jpg) - we had a great run, knocking out League 2 Dagenham & Redbridge along the way, but lost out in a fairly even contest to Hornchurch in the second round.
Conference League Cup (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/confcup.jpg) - sadly a familiar story as the season went on. We looked good at the back, had good possession, but just couldn't get the goals we needed...
FA Trophy (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/fatrophy.jpg) - completed dominated by a much better side. This one came just too late in the season for us, when the threadbare squad was starting to show some serious gaps.

Transfers (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/transfers.jpg) - only signed one player mid-season, who gave us some much needed midfield cover. The quality of the signings was generally good, there just wasn't enough of them in the end! I blame the very low wage budget. Luckily, we've got an extra 400 a week to spend on wages next season, so I should be able to get some proper cover in the squad.

Team of the Year (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/teamofyear.jpg) - The GK, back 4 and holding midfielder were generally solid throughout the season and picked themselves. I don't see the need for major change there. Further forward we had a good spread of goals, but really need a new forward capable of knocking in 20+ for us if we're to challenge for promotion next year. We were also hit by a lot of injuries to the attacking players, so I may need to have a look at my training for midfielders and forwards...

Player of the Year (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/playerofyear.jpg) - Without doubt our key man going forward. For the early part of the season when he was fit, every attack seemed to go through him, and he was a constant danger from the left wing. In February he tore his calf muscle, which put him out for the rest of the season, and we were never the same team. For a successful season next year, I need to keep him fit.

Season Summary

Considering the media were predicting a 15th place finish, and the board agreed with them, the board and the fans are over the moon at overachieving in every competition, whilst at the same time building a very healthy bank balance. And I would have settled for that at the start of the season too. But I can't help thinking about what might have been if Read hadn't have got injured. I'm pretty sure we'd have gone on to make a good challenge for automatic promotion, or failing that a better go at the play-offs.

As far as next season goes, the board have handed me a transfer budget of 45,000 and an extra 400 a week for wages as a reward for such a good season off the field, so hopefully I can add one or two players in key positions (I need a proper goalscoring centre forward!), and have a real go at promotion next year.

I'll be posting again at the start of next season to let you know what I've been upto pre-season (my off season usually lasts as long as the season itself in actual game time). Hopefully I'll be telling you about my new striker who scored 30 goals in League 2 last year, but wanted the challenge of the BSN. I can dream...

Saxonaitor
27-09-2009, 16:26
Unlucky there at the playoffs Kev!

I to know the heart break of the play offs, in my previous save I took Havant & Waterlooville on a massive winning streak from November when they were almost bottom to 3 points away from the playoffs! (That save was the "United Kingdom Journey" on this very forum.

lollujo
27-09-2009, 20:30
2008/09 Season Summary

Premier Division
Winners - Chelsea
Relegated - Portsmouth, Bolton, Stoke

Championship
Winners - Reading
Promoted - Reading, Birmingham, Sheff Utd
Relegated - Charlton, Norwich, Southampton

League 1
Winners - Huddersfield
Promoted - Huddersfield, Peterborough, Millwall
Relegated - Yeovil, Bristol Rovers, Stockport, Hereford

League 2
Winners - Grimsby
Promoted - Grimsby, Gillingham, Wycome, Lincoln
Relegated - Macclesfield, Bournemouth

Conference
Winners - Stevenage
Promoted - Stevenage, Rushden
Relegated - Eastbourne Boro, Crawley, Lewes, Barrow

Conference North
Winners - Tamworth
Promoted - Tamworth, Harrogate
Relegated - Stalybridge, Stafford, Hucknall

Conference South
Winners - Chelmsford
Promoted - Chelmsford, Braintree
Relegated - Hampton & Richmond, Newport Co, Bath

FA Cup Winners - Man Utd
League Cup Winners - Chelsea
Community Shield Winners - Portsmouth
Johnstone's Paint Trophy Winners - Leeds
Conference League Cup Winners - Oxford
FA Trophy Winners - Histon

Champions League Winners - Chelsea
UEFA Cup Winners - Barcelona

It's interesting to see that the same 3 teams got relegated from the Championship in my games as in real life...

lollujo
27-09-2009, 20:30
Unlucky there at the playoffs Kev!

I to know the heart break of the play offs, in my previous save I took Havant & Waterlooville on a massive winning streak from November when they were almost bottom to 3 points away from the playoffs! (That save was the "United Kingdom Journey" on this very forum.

I don't have a very good history with play-offs. I lost the only ones I played in in my last save too...

WH
27-09-2009, 21:59
Nice job, unlucky in the end.

It's a much better result than what actually happened to us in real life, but thats a different story.

I like the lay out. It makes it look very nice on the page and is easy to find all the info. A good read, keep up the good work.

lollujo
27-09-2009, 22:06
Thanks for the feedback. I can't take much credit for the layout, it's very much stolen from dafuge with just a couple of tweaks.

And I don't think a repeat of the real life King's Lynn story would have made for a very fun game!

lollujo
27-09-2009, 22:57
Pre-Season Update

The board finally announced a profit of 275K for last season, which considering we only started with a balance of 46K was a great achievement. This means that this season, I've got a little bit more financial freedom, and can try and bring in some higher quality players. They have given me a transfer budget of 46,000 (last year 3000) and a weekly wage budget of 1800 (last year 1400).

My thinking is that I could go one of two ways with this extra money. I could make improvements to every area of the squad to improve overall quality and hope that is enough to give us the extra push for promotion. Or I could keep the backbone of the team as it is, and just add a few very high quality players. I decided to do the second option, as I think this will lead to a better team overall.

My main priority was to sign a proven goalscorer who could get us 20+ goals a season from the lone striker position. I could also do with some extra cover for my wingers and attacking midfielders. Defensively we did well last year, and I was in no hurry to improve at the back.

But nothing ever seems to go to plan when I'm playing FM. I scouted all summer, went back over last years scout reports, and attended the trial day. And could I find any attacking players? Of course not. What I did find was a 22 year old Greek goalkeeper at Charlton who played 2 Under 21 internationals last season on the transfer list for only 2K. So I bought him and in the process smashed my self imposed limit of 100 a week salaries. He is miles better than my current keeper, and my scout thinks he will be good enough for League 2 one day, so I hope he's worth the money - Xenofon Ioannidis (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/ioannidis.jpg).

At this point, I'd already doubled my maximum weekly wage limit, so why not do it again? I adjusted my budgets, bringing the transfer budget down to 6000 and the wage budget up to 2649 to allow me to pay 425 a week to a 19 year old Austrian who played 4 Under 21 games last year and has just been released by West Ham. Had I finally found the striker I needed? Of course not. He was a centre back. Christian Brandstetter (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/brandstetter.jpg). I didn't really need him, but he's so much better than my other defenders, so hopefully I won't regret giving him so much of my budget. My assistant manager thinks he'll be good enough for League 1 one day.

While all this was going on, I actually released 2 of my 3 strikers from last season, because I fully intended to bring a new one in. But as the summer went on, I just couldn't find one. I signed a few more backup players (a left back, right back and right winger), but none of them will be ready for the first team for a while. I've also saved 500 of my weekly wage budget for when I find my ideal forward. But as it is, I'm going into the first game of the season with O'Connor, my top scorer from last season, and the highlight of my youth intake from this year Steven Battams (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/battams.jpg). He's only 15 at the moment, so I don't expect to play him very often, but my assistant thinks he's destined for League 2 at some point, so hopefully he can take King's Lynn with him!

In other pre-season news, we only sold 172 season tickets this year, compared to 200 last year. King's Lynn fans are obviously an ungrateful lot! We also have a new kit sponsorship deal - 3 years at 16K a year. That's only a 1000 improvement on our previous 1 year deal. I think they saw us coming. If we get a couple of promotions in that time, the sponsors have got themselves a bargain. My board obviously aren't expecting big things from me!

What they expecting is a mid table finish, and mediocre cup performances, which I'm pretty sure I can provide. The media are predicting we'll finish 7th. Unless I find a striker soon, I'll have to agree with them. If I can find the missing piece of the puzzle, I think we can win the league. But it might have to be without our injury prone star man Read, who got himself fit again for pre-season, only to get injured in the first friendly and rule himself out for the first 6 weeks of the season...

Raware
28-09-2009, 02:20
Nice first season despite the heart break of the play-offs. I know how it feels, I lost the play-offs two years in a row in my From Hong Kong With Love save. :( But, i'm sure you're going to be stronger from the experience and hopefully you can push on this year and go up.

Nice read and layout. Same as you, I opted to style my updates in a similar way to dafuge...cheers dafuge, i'm sure you don't mind ;)

rancer890
28-09-2009, 02:37
A good first season lollujo. :thup:

Agree totally about LLM. I have exactly one post in there, got flamed, and then went over to CSE. CSE and the Careers forum are the two friendliest sub forums on the SI Forums. :)

Hope for a push for promotion. :D

mkus
28-09-2009, 16:38
Hope we didn't put you off completely lollujo!

lollujo
28-09-2009, 20:03
Hope we didn't put you off completely lollujo!

To be fair, it's a minority of the regulars who cause the problem. It's a significant minority though, and they spoil it for everyone else. I think I'll be happy enough in my new home...

lollujo
30-09-2009, 22:55
King's Lynn FC - Blue Square North - 2009/10

I feel like I'm writing last season's report all over again, just a more extreme version. We had a brilliant start to the season - in fact we started off with a 24 game unbeaten streak, which left us 6 points clear at the top by Christmas, having not lost a game all season. It all went wrong from there though. We lost our first game of 2010, and then went on to lose a load more. In fact, in the second half of the season, we lost almost half of our games, and could only manage 8 wins after Christmas. We finally dropped off the top of the league with 4 games to go, and you all know how I feel about play-offs after last season...

League Table (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/2010/leaguetable2.jpg)
League Position Graph (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/2010/positiongraph2.jpg)

To be fair, we did perform a lot better in the play-offs this season, but lost it in the first leg (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/2010/playoff1.jpg) by giving away a soft goal and not taking our chances. We did all we could in the second leg (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/2010/playoff2.jpg), but Telford had the second best defence in the league after us, and were just too hard to break down. For the second season in a row, our inability to score goals has cost us.

The cup competitions were nothing to write home about this season:

FA Cup (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/2010/facup2.jpg) - not the last game this year that we'd dominate but get nothing out of
Conference League Cup (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/2010/confcup2.jpg) - we were just outclassed by better opposition
FA Trophy (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/2010/fatrophy2.jpg) - another example of us doing everything but score.

Finances (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/2010/finances.jpg) - the lack of a cup run this season meant there were no big pay days like last year. The board gambled on promotion by giving me a big transfer and wage budget, but their gamble didn't pay off. This lead to a loss of 58.5K for the season. Although the balance is still very healthy at around 0.25million, I don't expect them to throw money around again next year. They've bumped my wage budget up a bit more to 3600 per week, but have halved my transfer budget to just 24000 for next season. If we keep losing money like we did this year, we'll a get a couple more shots at promotion before we have to give up and sell off the more highly paid players and start again.

Transfers (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/2010/transfers.jpg) - we operated a more conservative transfer policy this season, as the core of a good side was already in place. We splashed out some big wages on a new goalkeeper and defender as detailed in my last update, but other than that we only signed promising youngsters and loans. We did convert one of the loans into a permanent deal at the end of the season because our loanee centre back had been very impressive and was on the transfer list at his club. We had appearances in both the best and worst signing of the season lists. The BSN best signing of the year was only signed as a youngster, but actually went on to establish himself in our side and win our player of the year award. The BSN worst signing of the season was a striker I spent my whole transfer budget on a couple of weeks into the season. It looks like my search for a goalscorer will continue next year...

Team of the Year (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/2010/teanofyear2.jpg) - there are more new faces in this team than I'd expected at the start of the season, so the transfer policy must be working. It does draw attention to our goalscoring problems though, with not one player reaching double figures.

Player of the Season - Grant Noble (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/2010/teanofyear2.jpg) - this 20 year old Scot was signed on a free in pre-season to provide cover on our right wing. I started to train him as a MC straight away as I like all my players to be able to play in at least 2 positions. As the season went on, he made the attacking MC position his own, and weighed in with some important goals and assists along the way. He provides a vital link between the midfield and forwards, and will hopefully continue to get better next season (a decent striker to link up with would probably help him...)

Other key players:

Christian Brandstetter (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/2010/brandstetter2.jpg) - I signed him as a DC on 400+ a week. By the end of the year he was playing DR for half the money (he was happy to take a pay cut in exchange for a contract extension). He's very good in either position, and one of the key reasons behind our defence being the best in the league.

Xenofan Ioannidis (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/2010/ioannidis2.jpg) - 24 clean sheets from 44 league games! He's excellent value for money as one of the top earners at the club. If he stays fit, we'll be solid at the back.

Ian Read (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/2010/ioannidis2.jpg) - last seasons star man never really recovered from his injury, and picked up several more as the season went on. Has now fallen down the pecking order, and is third choice both upfront and on the wing, so will probably be on his way out of the club this summer.

Steven Battams (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/2010/battams2.jpg) - last years top youth product, he got a few substitute appearances early on, before suffering a couple of injuries that meant he never seemed to be available at times I felt like giving him a go. His stats are promising though, and at 16 he's already starting to look like a big, strong centre forward who's good in the air and quick. Exactly what I need. My assistant thinks he's destined for the football league sooner or later. He needs to play more games next season.

Best New Youngster (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/2010/bestyouth2.jpg) - my assistant likes the look of him, and says he could be as good as Brandstetter. If he is, my defence is going to be superb!

Career Overview

Season Team League Position Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

08/09 King's Lynn Blue Square North 5th Lost in play-off semi-final
09/10 King's Lynn Blue Square North 3rd Lost in play-off semi-final

Next Season

I only have 2 goals for next year. 1. Find a striker who can get me 15-20 goals a season. 2. Finish the season strongly! The board are asking for the play-offs again. I need it to be automatic, as another season of play-off misery might push me over the edge...

lollujo
30-09-2009, 23:25
Just got myself an unexpected payrise. With a year to go on my 190 a week contract, the board offered me a new 3 year deal at 275 per week. So I must be doing something right...

lollujo
01-10-2009, 09:41
2009/10 Season Summary

Premier Division
Winners - Man Utd
Relegated - Hull, Sunderland, Sheff Utd

Championship
Winners - Portsmouth
Promoted - Portsmouth, Bolton, Doncaster
Relegated - Nottm Forest, Peterborough, Blackpool

League 1
Winners - Leeds
Promoted - Leeds, Northampton, Scunthorpe
Relegated - Tranmere, Hartlepool, Lincoln, Grimsby

League 2
Winners - Luton
Promoted - Luton, Notts Co, Yeovil, Bradford
Relegated - Barnet, Accrington

Conference
Winners - Wrexham
Promoted - Wrexham, Kidderminster
Relegated - Tamworth, Altrincham, Braintree, Chelmsford

Conference North
Winners - Gateshead
Promoted - Gateshead, AFC Telford
Relegated - Burscough, Worcester, Alfreton

Conference South
Winners - Dorchester
Promoted - Dorchester, Crawley
Relegated - Fisher, Merthyr, Thurrock

FA Cup Winners - Tottenham
League Cup Winners - Man Utd
Community Shield Winners - Chelsea
Johnstone's Paint Trophy Winners - Hartlepool
Conference League Cup Winners - Kidderminster
FA Trophy Winners - Mansfield

Champions League Winners - Arsenal
UEFA Cup Winners - FC Twente
World Cup Winners - Argentina

lollujo
04-10-2009, 22:20
King's Lynn FC - Blue Square North - 2010/11

Finally some play-off success at the third attempt! After a shocking start to the season, we were mid-table around Christmas, so I decided to change my formation around to try and get some goals out of my forwards. It worked, and not only did we get promoted, but we ended up with 3 players in double figures for goals! The play-off final (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/playoff3.jpg) itself was a bit of nail-biter, needing extra time, but we got there in the end.

League Table (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/table3.jpg)
Position Graph (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/graph3.jpg)

We had some decent cup runs again this season, but unfortunately not in the FA Cup, so it didn't really help the finances much:

FA Cup (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/facup3.jpg) - this match came at a time when we were really struggling, and the scoreline flattered us in the end against much better opposition.
FA Trophy (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/fatrophy3.jpg) - Outclassed by Barnet again...
Conference League Cup (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/confcup3.jpg) - Very disappointing to go out like this after getting all the way to the semi-final. They have one chance and scored. Not impressed...

Finances (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/finance3.jpg)
Our higher wage bill is starting to take it's toll on the bank balance. We only spent 5K on transfers, but despite the cup runs we still made a 29,000 loss, bringing the balance down to 217,000. We're getting 85,000 TV money now we're in a higher division though, so that should keep us going for another year. The board are giving me 22,000 to spend on players, and a wage budget of 5.75K per week, which is about 1000 a week more than we're currently spending. Our 3 year sponsorship deal at 15,000 per annum ends at the end of next season, so hopefully we'll be able to negotiate some more money there now we're in a higher division.

Transfers (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/transfer3.jpg)
A mixed bag this season. The only player I spent money on in the summer was released on a fee in January as he didn't fit the new formation. Most of the free's worked out well though, and I actually replaced some players I thought were dead certs for the season, just because some top quality replacements were found by the scouts. Over the course of the season we signed a new GK, 4 new defenders, 3 midfielders and a striker, on free's, who all went straight into the first team squad. The other noticeable piece of business is the permanent signing of the striker we had on loan from Norwich for the season, who top scored with 12 goals. Most of those came after we changed the tactics around, so I'm hoping he can have a good year next season - 20 goals maybe?

Career Overview

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10/11 King's Lynn Blue Square North 4th Promoted via play-offs

Next Season
The board are asking me to battle bravely against relegation. I think we're good enough to survive. I've got one eye on my contract now - I think getting King's Lynn into League 2 would be a step too far for them. It'll be nice if it happens, but my goal is to establish them as a BSP side for the next 2 years while my contract runs out, and then see who'll have me for a new challenge. I'm starting to get linked to some League 2 and BSP jobs in the media, and if I'm offered one before then I'll probably go, but I'm all but decided I won't be signing a new contract at King's Lynn, so I've only got a maximum of 2 seasons left here.

lollujo
04-10-2009, 22:36
2010/11 Season Summary

Premier Division
Winners - Chelsea
Relegated - Portsmouth, West Ham, Middlesbrough

Championship
Winners - Sunderland
Promoted - Sunderland, Stoke, Bristol City
Relegated - Plymouth, Northampton, Barnsley

League 1
Winners - Gillingham
Promoted - Gillingham, Nottm Forest, Leicester
Relegated - Peterborough, Yeovil, Wycombe, Notts Co

League 2
Winners - Port Vale
Promoted - Port Vale, Bristol Rovers, Grimsby, Rotherham
Relegated - Exeter, Chester

Conference
Winners - Accrington
Promoted - Accrington, Barnet
Relegated - Weymouth, Gateshead, Woking, Harrogate

Conference North
Winners - Altrincham
Promoted - Altrincham, King's Lynn
Relegated - Guiseley, Workington, Solihull Moors

Conference South
Winners - AFC Wimbledon
Promoted - AFC Wimbledon, Sutton Utd
Relegated - Staines, Bognor Regis, Bath

FA Cup Winners - Man Utd
League Cup Winners - Aston Villa
Community Shield Winners - Tottenham
Johnstone's Paint Trophy Winners - Charlton
Conference League Cup Winners - Salisbury
FA Trophy Winners - Oxford

Champions League Winners - Inter
UEFA Cup Winners - Udinese

AdamFitz
04-10-2009, 23:20
I've just looked through your old thread, ridiculous it was closed. Best of luck with this :)

ToMexico!!
05-10-2009, 16:42
Nice read so far, will be following this with some interest as I live in King's Lynn.

lollujo
05-10-2009, 21:21
I've just looked through your old thread, ridiculous it was closed. Best of luck with this :)

Thanks. Luckily I don't have to worry about having this thread closed now we have this nice shiny new forum!

Nice read so far, will be following this with some interest as I live in King's Lynn.

I'm hopeful I can squeeze in another promotion before I move on to pastures new...

Saxonaitor
06-10-2009, 06:01
Well done on your successful promotion lollujo!

I to have looked through your old thread and was confused to why it was closed, but as I far as I could gather it was due to the PA of your youths. Ridiculous way to end a great career.

Speaking of pastures new, have any other clubs offered jobs to you?

MeLikeFM
06-10-2009, 13:08
2010/11 Season Summary

Premier Division
Winners - Chelsea
Relegated - Portsmouth, West Ham, Middlesbrough

Championship
Winners - Sunderland
Promoted - Sunderland, Stoke, Bristol City
Relegated - Plymouth, Northampton, Barnsley

League 1
Winners - Gillingham
Promoted - Gillingham, Nottm Forest, Leicester
Relegated - Peterborough, Yeovil, Wycombe, Notts Co

League 2
Winners - Port Vale
Promoted - Port Vale, Bristol Rovers, Grimsby, Rotherham
Relegated - Exeter, Chester

Conference
Winners - Accrington
Promoted - Accrington, Barnet
Relegated - Weymouth, Gateshead, Woking, Harrogate

Conference North
Winners - Altrincham
Promoted - Altrincham, King's Lynn
Relegated - Guiseley, Workington, Solihull Moors

Conference South
Winners - AFC Wimbledon
Relegated - Staines, Bognor Regis, Bath

FA Cup Winners - Man Utd
League Cup Winners - Aston Villa
Community Shield Winners - Tottenham
Johnstone's Paint Trophy Winners - Charlton
FA Trophy Winners - Oxford

Champions League Winners - Inter
UEFA Cup Winners - Udinese

Nice to see you bringing this LLM trademark with you. :thup: :D

WH
06-10-2009, 16:48
Well done :thup:

Third time lucky with the play offs.

What are your plans when you leave King's Lynn behind? Do you know where you wan't to go or are you going to play it by ear?

lollujo
06-10-2009, 18:21
Well done on your successful promotion lollujo!

I to have looked through your old thread and was confused to why it was closed, but as I far as I could gather it was due to the PA of your youths. Ridiculous way to end a great career.

Speaking of pastures new, have any other clubs offered jobs to you?

Cheers. I've not had any offers yet, but I have a feeling as soon as I do I will be off. Getting itchy feet. Depending on how this season goes, I might start applying for jobs in the summer, even though it will inevitably lead to me being sacked...

Nice to see you bringing this LLM trademark with you. :thup: :D

I always like to see it in other people's threads. It allows me to keep track of what Peterborough are upto! Not to well in this save at the moment...

Well done :thup:

Third time lucky with the play offs.

What are your plans when you leave King's Lynn behind? Do you know where you wan't to go or are you going to play it by ear?

I'm hoping Peterborough have a terrible season! After going up to the Championship in the first season, they've now been relegated twice in a row. So they're only one division above me. A bad season for them, and a good one from me in the BSP could lead to me being a contender for my dream job a little earlier in my career than expected. Failing that, I'll go anywhere that'll have me!

lollujo
12-10-2009, 21:13
King's Lynn FC - Blue Square Premier - 2011/12

The board wanted us to try and avoid relegation, but didn't seem that bothered whether we did or not. That, combined with an impending board takeover left me on a bit of a downer with the club at the start of the season. I had 2 years left on my contract, but was seriously considering resigning on a high and seeing what I could find elsewhere.

In the end I decided to stay on for another year. We had a terrible start to the season, unable to win in the first 5 games and struggling at the wrong end of the table. By mid-September I was on the verge of quitting again. Then the board takeover went through, much sooner than expected, and our form suddenly improved. We went on a 9 game unbeaten run in all competitions (which included 8 consecutive clean sheets!), and found ourselves in a playoff position. It was never going to last though, and by Christmas we'd settled into our role as an inconsistent, boring, mid-table team. We never threatened promotion or relegation, but that was far more than the board asked for anyway.

League Table (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/leaguetable4.jpg)
League Position Graph (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/positiongraph4.jpg)

Transfers (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/transfers4.jpg) - We came into the BSP with a squad I felt was only one or two players away from being good enough to stay up. Those players were a good striker and good centre back. Luckily they both fell into my lap courtesy of my scouts. Roland de Boer is a League 2 standard defender, although he was young and inexperienced. Dan Green though was the striker I'd been looking for for the last 3 years. He'd been a squad player for Southend in League 1 for the last couple of seasons, but scored 9 goals in 12 games on loan at Braintree in the BSS last season. He didn't disappoint, and ended the season as the top scorer in the conference with 25 goals. On top of those 2, I also added a few young Premier League rejects to fill out the squad after releasing quite a bit of the deadwood from last year.

Squad (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/squad4.jpg) - The standout player is Green - without his goals we'd have really struggled. Other than him, the rest of the squad are very evenly matched. I have 2 players for every position, and they're almost all interchangeable without any drop in performance levels. I need some more players of Green's quality if I'm to ever get out of this league.

Finances (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/finances4.jpg) - Although there was a takeover mid-season, they've not invested any money into the club. We had a good run to the third round of the FA Cup which helped fill out the coffers though, and we finished the season with a very healthy 218,000 profit. We've also doubled our shirt sponsorship deal from 15K to 30K a season for next year.

Career Overview

11/12 King's Lynn Blue Square Premier 12th

Next Season
I've got 12 months left on my contract. The board offered me another 3 years, but I turned them down, as they were only offering a 50 per week payrise, and wouldn't budge on it. I also feel I've taken King's Lynn about as far as I can - their average gate is only around 1000, and a I don't think they could support a full time playing squad with that fan base. I've applied for some jobs over the summer, which the board had no objections to. But I was turned down by League 2 sides Norwich and Peterborough, and BSP Cambridge. I'll keep looking as the season goes on, but will probably just let my contract run down and see what I can get as a free agent next summer.

lollujo
12-10-2009, 21:19
2011/12 Season Summary

Premier Division
Winners - Chelsea
Relegated - Doncaster, Bristol City, Stoke

Championship
Winners - Middlesbrough
Promoted - Middlesbrough, Hull, West Ham
Relegated - Scunthorpe, Leicester, Ipswich

League 1
Winners - Southend
Promoted - Southend, Brighton, Bradford
Relegated - MK Dons, Bristol Rovers, Norwich, Rotherham

League 2
Winners - Rochdale
Promoted - Rochdale, Bury, Morecambe, Peterborough
Relegated - Wrexham, Rushden

Conference
Winners - Torquay
Promoted - Torquay, Exeter
Relegated - Forest Green, Northwich, Sutton Utd, AFC Telford

Conference North
Winners - Braintree
Promoted - Braintree, Fleetwood
Relegated - Boston Utd, Hinckley, Redditch

Conference South
Winners - Lewes
Promoted - Lewes, Basingstoke
Relegated - Tiverton, Newport Co, Carshalton

FA Cup Winners - Newcastle
League Cup Winners - Arsenal
Community Shield Winners - Man Utd
Johnstone's Paint Trophy Winners - Carlisle
Conference League Cup Winners - York
FA Trophy Winners - Torquay

Champions League Winners - Man City
UEFA Cup Winners - Man Utd
Euro 2012 - Italy

The Governor
13-10-2009, 11:25
How the hell did Fleetwood end up in the Conference South?!

lollujo
13-10-2009, 17:46
They're now in the BSP after being in the BSN since the start of the game? Have I made a typo somewhere?

lollujo
13-10-2009, 19:49
King's Lynn FC - Blue Square Premier - 2012/13 - Mid-Season Update

I knew it was coming, and on the 18th November 2012, I resigned from King's Lynn. I have left them in good shape, just outside the play-offs with a good chance of promotion this season:

League Table (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/kingslynnfinalleague.jpg) - on my last day, after 18 games.

Career Overview

12/13 King's Lynn Blue Square Premier 6th (at time of resignation after 18 games)

New Club
Another post will be coming soon so you can see who tempted me away from The Walks...

lollujo
13-10-2009, 20:00
Bristol Rovers Football Club

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6b/Brist_Badge.png

I couldn't resist, for a number of reasons. Firstly, I have some real life links with Bristol, having worked there for a couple of years. I know the ground, I've seen some games, and know quite a few fans. As for in game reasons, they've more than doubled my money, which helps! I was on 375 p/w at King's Lynn, and they were only offering me 425 p/w on a new 3 year deal. Rovers will be paying me 800 p/w, on an initial 18 month contract.

I also thought I had taken King's Lynn as far as I could. The next step up for them was to turn pro, and I just didn't see how they could do that with an average gate of only 1000. Bristol Rovers are a much bigger club, and potentially have a couple of promotions in them from their current position in League 2.

Talking of the current position, it's not going to be an easy job. I join them after 16 games, with them sitting 21st:

League Table (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/bristolroversstartingleague.jpg)

The board are expecting promotion this season after getting relegated from League 1 last year, and we're currently 9 points off the play-offs, 15 points from automatic promotion and 24 points off the top of the league. So there's a lot of ground to make up, and not much time to do it.

On top of all that, the club is 500,000 in debt, the wage bill is 500 p/w over budget, there's no money available for transfers and the deadline for free transfers and loans is in 4 days. This is going to be very difficult...

lollujo
14-10-2009, 15:50
Well that didn't last very long...

My first taste of football league management ended on 20th April 2013, the day Bristol Rovers were relegated from the football league for the first time in 94 years. Oops.

League Table (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/bristolroversfinalleague.jpg)

I only managed 12 points in my 28 games in charge, and finished with a run of 11 consecutive defeats. It was mainly because I released or sold most of the squad to try and reduce the wage bill to save the club from bankruptcy, but just couldn't find quality replacements who were cheap enough. In my last game in charge, there were 5 youth team players in the side, and the club was still losing money hand over fist. Total debt doubled to over 1million during my 6 months at the club, even with a 7000 a week reduction in the wage bill. Almost the whole squad is out of contract in the summer.

Unfortunately I think the future for Bristol Rovers looks fairly bleak. In a couple of months they're going to be a non-league club with almost no players and 1.5million of debt. Unless they get a nice rich businessman come along and save them, I can see them disappearing out the bottom of BSS within 2 or 3 years, never to be seen again...

Career Overview

12/13 King's Lynn Blue Square Premier 6th (at time of resignation after 18 games)
12/13 Bristol Rovers League 2 24th Relegated to BSP (sacked)

Next Season

It's now holiday time for me, I'll update again when I find a new club...

ToMexico!!
14-10-2009, 15:59
Unfortunate there for you lollujo...Will you be looking to stay at League 2 level or drop down to BSP promote a hopeful club?

lollujo
14-10-2009, 17:36
I'll go wherever will have me! In the unlikely event that I get 2 offers, I'll take the one which offers me the most money! The only rule for me at this stage is that I'll only look at English clubs, unless I'm offered 1000+ a week (which I won't be!). The further away from my home in Peterborough a job is, the more money they'll need to offer me.

In an ideal world I'd stay in League 2, but I doubt anyone will have me at this level, so I guess I'll be dropping back into non-league...

Diamond Steve
14-10-2009, 17:38
Looks as though you didnt really stand much chance from the start.:(
How did Kings Lynn end up? Going by this luck they probably got promoted:p

lollujo
14-10-2009, 17:39
Just been offered 475 a week to go to Varese in the Italian C2/A. There's no way I could move to Italy for less than 25,000 a year, so that one's a no go...

lollujo
14-10-2009, 17:42
Looks as though you didnt really stand much chance from the start.:(
How did Kings Lynn end up? Going by this luck they probably got promoted:p

King's Lynn are 11th with 2 games to go, so another season of mid-table obscurity for them. It's actually been a bit of a recovery by them to get that high. When I left, they were 6th, but they fell down to 15th within weeks, and didn't make it back into the top half of the table until March.

lollujo
14-10-2009, 17:53
First realistic job offer is in - Rotherham, the team who finished one place above me in League 2 (and therefore were relegated to the BSP) have offered me a 3 year deal at 525 per week. They've also kindly allowed me to delay my decision until the end of the season, so I'll see if I can get a league job, failing that, I'll be taking over at Rotherham in the near future.

ToMexico!!
14-10-2009, 18:11
Personally I would have taken the job in Italy. You become more known across in another country so in the future other clubs will look to you before another manager possibly because you have experience already in Italy.

lollujo
14-10-2009, 18:13
Rotherham United Football Club

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9b/Rotherham_United_FC.png

So here we go again. Rotherham had been a Football League club for over 90 years until last season, when they finished 23rd in League 2 and got relegated along with my very own Bristol Rovers.

My job is get them back where they belong. I've been given a 3 year contract at 525 a week, and the financial situation is far better here than at Bristol Rovers. There's 200,000 in the bank, a 25K transfer budget, and a huge wage budget of 28,000 a week (current wage bill only 23,000).

I'll update with more details once I'm given my start of season expectations.

ToMexico!!
14-10-2009, 18:29
Good Luck, much better financial situation. Definitely be able to reduce that wage bill further too, to ensure you stay afloat.

MeLikeFM
14-10-2009, 18:44
Thats a nice little job there.

Disaster with Bristol though.

lollujo
14-10-2009, 21:33
2012/13 Season Summary

Premier Division
Winners - Man City
Relegated - Everton, West Ham, Hull

Championship
Winners - Portsmouth
Promoted - Portsmouth, Bristol City, Gillingham
Relegated - Brighton, Millwall, Bradford

League 1
Winners - Ipswich
Promoted - Ipswich, Colchester, Leyton Orient
Relegated - Morecambe, Blackpool, Grimsby, Bury

League 2
Winners - Hartlepool
Promoted - Hartlepool, Shrewsbury, Norwich, Notts Co
Relegated - Rotherham, Bristol Rovers

Conference
Winners - Chester
Promoted - Chester, Kettering
Relegated - Cambridge, AFC Wimbledon, Fleetwood, Basingstoke

Conference North
Winners - Barrow
Promoted - Barrow, Cambridge C
Relegated - Droylsden, Witton, Gainsborough

Conference South
Winners - Woking
Promoted - Woking, Eastbourne Boro
Relegated - Chippenham, Maidstone, Dartford

FA Cup Winners - Arsenal
League Cup Winners - Newcastle
Community Shield Winners - Chelsea
Johnstone's Paint Trophy Winners - Colchester
Conference League Cup Winners - Burton

Champions League Winners - R. Madrid
UEFA Cup Winners - Arsenal

So in the season I took Bristol Rovers out of the league, Bristol City got promoted to the premier league! That's got to sting a little for a Rovers fan...

WH
16-10-2009, 12:04
You did a great job at King's Lynn. Its a shame about Bristol Rovers but you can brush that one under the carpet like it never happened if you get Rotherham firing on all cylinders. Apart from one half of Bristol who will remember you like a hero for many years to come. :D

lollujo
16-10-2009, 12:08
I personally think there should be a statue of me outside Ashton Gate...

lollujo
16-10-2009, 14:31
Rotherham United - Blue Square Premier - 2013/14

Unfortunately I think the future for Bristol Rovers looks fairly bleak. In a couple of months they're going to be a non-league club with almost no players and 1.5million of debt. Unless they get a nice rich businessman come along and save them, I can see them disappearing out the bottom of BSS within 2 or 3 years, never to be seen again...

Show's what I know:

League Table (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/league14.jpg)
Position Graph (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/league14.jpg)

I made some good signings, and we got off to a good start of the season, and for the first month it looked like it was going to be a 2 horse race between us and my old club King's Lynn. Unfortunately I then lost my star midfielder Mark Linnane to a broken leg for 6 months, and both of our French strikers (the only 2 decent strikers at the club). The led to some very inconsistent form for several months, and we just couldn't score enough goals in the end. By April we had every fit again, and looked like a very good side, and comfortably qualified for the play-offs. But then the 2 strikers picked up injuries again and we were knocked out by Oxford, again posing no goal threat.

We did also reach the final of Conference League Cup, but lost that to Grays, in part because the final was played at Grays' ground!

A note on Bristol Rovers as well - I'm attempting to claim an assist for their excellent season, as one of the last things I did before they sacked me was arrange the free transfer signings of 2 wingers a DM and a midfield player. These are the only 4 additions to the side that got relegated last year. And they completely transformed the team, allowing them to play a very dominant 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation, with the 2 best wingers in the league. I've learnt my lesson and won't arrange any transfers into Rotherham until I know they're not sacking me! Sometimes I wish I could play as a Director of Football rather than manager, as I seem to be able to assemble very good squads of players (3 of the top 5 this year were teams I assembled), but then don't get the best out of them on the pitch (the one I'm currently managing was the lowest placed of the 3).

Transfers (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/transfers14.jpg) - I basically signed a whole new squad on free transfers, and sold the highly paid players for as much as I could. I still only managed to get the wage bill down to 22,000 per week though (2000 over budget). I feel another pre-season of free transfers and selling my best players is approaching...

Finances (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/finances14.jpg) - We made a loss of 281,000 over the course of the season, and unless we go up next year that's only going to get worse. There's no parachute payment for us next season, so that's an extra 50K to add to the loss, and also the League 1 level sponsorship deals start expiring at the end of the season, so expect them to be considerably lower when they're re-negotiated. Add that to the 100,000 a year we have to pay for our ground, and the 20,000 a week wage bill, and you can see that this club needs to be at League 1 level getting crowds of 10,000+ just to break even.

Squad (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/squad14.jpg) - The most obvious thing about this squad is how few players are in it. It's literally just these guys and the youth team, hence we fall apart at the first sign of some injuries. I might have to re-think the plan, and try and get a 22 man squad (although this would mean limiting salaries to around 1000 p/w, when the current first team are on around 1500 each).

Career Overview

13/14 Rotherham Blue Square Premier 5th Lost in play-off semi-final

Next season
The board are expecting promotion, and I don't think I'll get away with disappointing them 2 seasons in a row, so I need to deliver next year. And as there's no money to spend that could be easier said than done...

lollujo
16-10-2009, 14:38
2013/14 Season Summary

Premier Division
Winners - Arsenal
Relegated - Gillingham, Sunderland, Bristol City

Championship
Winners - Doncaster
Promoted - Doncaster, Watford, Sheff Utd
Relegated - Huddersfield, Nottm Forest, Leyton Orient

League 1
Winners - Leicester
Promoted - Leicester, Southampton, Swindon
Relegated - Oldham, Hartlepool, Crewe, Rochdale

League 2
Winners - Wycombe
Promoted - Wycombe, Tranmere, Bury, Yeovil
Relegated - Accrington, Darlington

Conference
Winners - Bristol Rovers
Promoted - Bristol Rovers, Oxford
Relegated - Altrincham, Barrow, Lewes, Cambridge C

Conference North
Winners - Cambridge
Promoted - Cambridge, Ilkeston
Relegated - Blyth, Hitchin, Stafford

Conference South
Winners - Weymouth
Promoted - Weymouth, Forest Green
Relegated - Bishop's Stortford, Hayes & Yeading, Canvey Island

FA Cup Winners - Arsenal
League Cup Winners - Man City
Community Shield Winners - Arsenal
Johnstone's Paint Trophy Winners - Barnsley
Conference League Cup Winners - Grays

Champions League Winners - Barcelona
UEFA Cup Winners - Olympique Lyonnais
World Cup - Germany

hamilton162
17-10-2009, 16:27
A good career so far lollujo, apart from the spell at Bristol Rovers :thup: Nice to my hometown team, Wycombe, doing fairly well by winning a few promotions, even if they have been relegated a couple of times as well :D

lollujo
17-10-2009, 16:43
There's quite a few teams that seem to be bouncing around between divisions. As a Peterborough fan I always check what they're up to, and they seem to be bouncing between the Championship and League 2!

lollujo
18-10-2009, 22:34
Rotherham United - Blue Square Premier - 2014/15

Mission accomplished:

League Table (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/table15.jpg)
League Position Graph (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/graph15.jpg)

I thought we were going to throw it all away with a couple of games to go when we dropped down to second place, but luckily my usual bad luck in the play-offs wasn't repeated. My play-off record is now 2 promotions from 5 attempts, so I suppose that's not terrible, but I really would like to never have to play in one again.

We also won the FA Trophy along the way for a nice little pot of prize money. I'd like to think that's the last time I'll ever play in it...

Transfers - Lot's of comings and goings over the summer, mainly because I decided to get rid of all my highly paid, experienced players, and replace them with a load of teenagers recently released by Premier League and Championship clubs. The theory being if we got promoted, hopefully they'd be good develop enough over the season to be able to keep us up too. It also led to a 6000 p/w reduction in our wage budget.

Finances (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/finance15.jpg) - A near 600,000 swing in the right direction! We went from a 281,000 loss last season to a 290,000 profit this year, meaning we're still in the black at the end of the season (just). The reduction in the wage bill certainly went a long way towards achieving this, as did the cup runs and a few pre-season friendlies against Premier League clubs (the Everton game brought in nearly 100,000!). Unfortunately every player in the squad has a had a pay rise due to the promotion, so we're starting pre-season 2000 p/w over the wage budget, with some definate gaps in the squad that need filling, so I'm going to need to have another clearout to fund another summer of recruitment...

Squad (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/squad15.jpg) - Everyone performed to a decent standard. The only problem is that the only player who scored consistently was on loan from Man City - he'd cost 600K to buy, and doesn't want to come on loan for another season. So main priority for the pre-season is to sign a striker capable of getting me 20+ goals in League 2. For free. I'm not overly confident.

Career Overview

13/14 Rotherham Blue Square Premier 5th Lost in play-off semi-final
14/15 Rotherham Blue Square Premier 2nd Promoted via play-offs

Next season
The board want a mid-table finish, but I think we might struggle. For the third summer in a row I'm going to have to sell off anyone who I can get money for just to balance the books, and let the higher earners (ie. best players) leave. The average age of my squad is only 20, and I think the step up a division may have come a year too early for them. I only have a year left on my contract, and so far I've not been offered a new one. I'm only on 525 p/w, and if a good offer comes in, I may walk. I've already had an offer from a French third tier club, but they only offered 475 p/w, and wouldn't budge. I'd want 1000+ a week to go abroad.

lollujo
18-10-2009, 22:41
2014/15 Season Summary

Premier Division
Winners - Man City
Relegated - Sheff Utd, Doncaster, Watford

Championship
Winners - Gillingham
Promoted - Gillingham, Hull, Sunderland
Relegated - Derby, Cardiff, Crystal Palace

League 1
Winners - Charlton
Promoted - Charlton, Nottm Forest, Carlisle
Relegated - Wycombe, Cheltenham, Yeovil, Tranmere

League 2
Winners - Blackpool
Promoted - Blackpool, Oldham, Brentford, Aldershot
Relegated - Oxford, Bristol Rovers

Conference
Winners - Macclesfield
Promoted - Macclesfield, Rotherham
Relegated - Braintree, Ilkeston, Forest Green, Eastbourne Boro

Conference North
Winners - Fleetwood
Promoted - Fleetwood, Southport
Relegated - Farsley, Droylsden, Eastwood

Conference South
Winners - Havant & W
Promoted - Havant & W, Basingstoke
Relegated - Boreham Wood, Oxford City, Farnborough

FA Cup Winners - Liverpool
Johnstone's Paint Trophy Winners - Nottm Forest
Conference League Cup Winners - York
FA Trophy Winners - Rotherham

Champions League Winners - Chelsea
UEFA Cup Winners - Tottenham

Woohoo! We went up, Bristol Rovers went down and King's Lynn stayed down, so in a reversal of last year, the best of the 3 teams I've managed is the one I'm currently at!

lollujo
18-10-2009, 22:48
Within minutes of writing this update, Rotherham offered me a new 3 year deal at 575 p/w. I'm enjoying this job, and I think I can have them in League 1 within 3 years, so I signed. I definately won't leave for at least 2 seasons now, unless I'm sacked or offered the Peterborough job.

hamilton162
19-10-2009, 17:26
Wycombe yo-yo'ing between League 1 and League 2 :( :D

A good season with the millers there :thup: When do you reckon you'll jump ship?

lollujo
19-10-2009, 20:28
Unless I get a really good offer, I'll stay at Rotherham for at least another 2 years hopefully. I'd like to get another promotion with them if I can, then move on to a club with a bit more financial stability to allow me to push on towards the Premier League. As much as I'm enjoying Rotherham, with no ground and a large debt, I'm always going to have to sell my best players to keep the club affloat.

rancer890
19-10-2009, 22:15
Nice work with Rotherham in getting promotion. :thup:

Like that the AI Gills did a lot better than me in getting them to the Premier League. Just hope they stay there this season. :D Are they still at Priestfield?

And how are the leagues outside England shaping up?

lollujo
20-10-2009, 19:55
Nice work with Rotherham in getting promotion. :thup:

Like that the AI Gills did a lot better than me in getting them to the Premier League. Just hope they stay there this season. :D Are they still at Priestfield?

And how are the leagues outside England shaping up?

Yep, still at Priestfield, and currently sitting 7th in the Premier League after 20 games!

I haven't really paid attention to any of the top leagues as I've generally been in the non-league. But you've got me wondering now, so I'm going to have a look, and I'll post in a minute with the past winners from each country since the start of my game.

lollujo
20-10-2009, 20:04
English Premier Division

Year Winner Runner Up Third Placed
2015 Man City Man Utd Arsenal
2014 Arsenal Man Utd Chelsea
2013 Man City Arsenal Man Utd
2012 Chelsea Man Utd Man City
2011 Chelsea Man City Arsenal
2010 Man Utd Chelsea Arsenal
2009 Chelsea Arsenal Man Utd

Interesting to see no sign at all of Liverpool in the top 3 in 7 years. Plus Arsenal have only won the league once - I thought they were supposed to dominate FM09?

lollujo
20-10-2009, 20:08
Serie A

2015 Sampdoria Juventus Fiorentina
2014 A.C. Milan Roma Juventus
2013 Fiorentina Juventus Roma
2012 A.C. Milan Juventus Roma
2011 A.C. Milan Inter Roma
2010 A.C. Milan Inter Fiorentina
2009 Inter A.C. Milan Roma

Some unexpected winners in amongst the Milan domination?

lollujo
20-10-2009, 20:12
LIGA BBVA

2015 R. Madrid Barcelona Sevilla
2014 R. Madrid Barcelona Zaragoza
2013 Barcelona R. Madrid Valencia
2012 Barcelona R. Madrid Valencia
2011 Barcelona R. Madrid Sevilla
2010 R. Madrid Barcelona Sevilla
2009 Barcelona R. Madrid Valencia

Now that's what I call a 2 horse race. This could be an interesting league to manage in to try and break the Barcelona & Madrid domination.

lollujo
20-10-2009, 20:12
I've also got the leagues from France, Germany, Argentina and Brazil loaded, I'll post them tomorrow if I get the chance.

lollujo
22-10-2009, 10:46
Rotherham United - League 2 - 2015/16

Well that was a much nicer experience than my last visit to League 2:

League Table (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/table16.jpg)
League Position Graph (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/graph16.jpg)

We took a few games to settle into playing at a higher level, but from mid-September onwards, we always looked likely candidates for promotion, and when we hit the top of the table around Christmas time, we just kept getting better.

Transfers (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/transfers16.jpg) - At a club like Rotherham, transfers are both frustrating and quite good fun. If anyone ever offers us any money for a player, we have to take it. Equally, if an established player wants too much money, we have to let them go. It's very hard to build a settled team. But at the same time, it is good fun trying to find a new batch of free transfers each summer who are as good as or better than the ones on their way out of the club. It worked this season, but will only get harder the further up the leagues we go.

Finances (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/finance16.jpg) - We stayed in the black all season again, but then had to pay out a 240,000 bonus for winning the league! Looks like another pre-season of selling our best players...

Squad (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/squad16.jpg) - We have great spine to the team, in Thompson at the back, Spooner in midfield and Edwards upfront. They're all been at the club for a couple of seasons now and perform consistently well. Unfortunately, they're all attracting interest from bigger clubs, and I'll have to accept any offers that come in to balance the books.

Career Overview

13/14 Rotherham Blue Square Premier 5th Lost in play-off semi-final, Conference League Cup Runner-Up
14/15 Rotherham Blue Square Premier 2nd Promoted via play-offs, Won FA Trophy
15/16 Rotherham League 2 1st Promoted as Champions

Next season
I think that's my job done at Rotherham. When I joined them 3 seasons ago, they had just suffered back-to-back relegations and were in the Conference. They were also losing money hand over fist. Now they're back in League 1, and financially stable with a good young squad that is only going to get better. Unfortunately, without owning their own ground, and with such low attendances (even last season only averaged around 4000), I don't think I can take them any further. I'm very much listening to any offers that come along.

lollujo
22-10-2009, 10:54
2015/16 Season Summary

Premier Division
Winners - Arsenal
Relegated - Fulham, Birmingham, Sunderland

Championship
Winners - Watford
Promoted - Watford, Doncaster, Everton
Relegated - Charlton, Nottm Forest, Carlisle

League 1
Winners - Millwall
Promoted - Millwall, Brighton, Huddersfield
Relegated - Peterborough, Brentford, Scunthorpe, Bury

League 2
Winners - Rotherham
Promoted - Rotherham, Lincoln, Wycombe, Cheltenham
Relegated - Tranmere, Kidderminster

Conference
Winners - Havant & W
Promoted - Havant & W, Mansfield
Relegated - Basingstoke, Fleetwood, Burton, Histon

Conference North
Winners - Northwich
Promoted - Northwich, Ilkeston
Relegated - Vauxhall, Marine, Solihull Moors

Conference South
Winners - Forest Green
Promoted - Forest Green, Tonbridge
Relegated - Bognor Regis, Hampton & Richmond, Harrow

FA Cup Winners - Tottenham
Community Shield Winners - Man City
Johnstone's Paint Trophy Winners - Northampton
FA Trophy Winners - Salisbury

Champions League Winners - Arsenal
UEFA Cup Winners - Tottenham
Euro 2016 Winners - Norway

I'm keeping an eye on Havant & Waterlooville. They were taken over by a Thai tycoon 2 years ago, and having spent 3.5million on players, they've now had back-to-back promotions and will be League 2 for next season. They spent 800K on an England Under 19 striker from Sunderland when they were still in the Blue Square South, he's now scored 52 goals in 77 games! I'm glad I'm not still down at that level, as it would very frustrating trying to compete with that!

lollujo
22-10-2009, 14:59
Plymouth Argyle Football Club

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/38/Plymouth_Argyle_FC.svg/600px-Plymouth_Argyle_FC.svg.png

This was a very easy decision. I was already getting itchy feet when Plymouth came in and offered to more than double my weekly salary to 1300 per week. My assistant resigned with me, and I immediately appointed him at Plymouth to reward him for his loyalty. Plus his recommendations have been excellent over the last 2 seasons, so hopefully he can keep that going.

Plymouth have been a boring mid-table League 1 side for the last couple of seasons, and that's all they want me to do this season as well. So without the pressure to achieve anything, and the huge 65,000 per week wage budget I've been given, I'm quietly confident about sneaking a promotion through the play-offs, which would be my third in a row.

When reading up on the club, I also notice they are the largest city in England never to have a top flight football club. I might have to see this one through, because I'd like to add that achievement to the CV.

I just need to think of a suitable new name for my thread now. Any idea's?

hamilton162
22-10-2009, 16:43
A fantastic season with Rotherham there lollujo :thup:

As for the title, perhaps something the lines of "It's not plain sailing" ?

klose11
22-10-2009, 20:20
Enjoying this career. Hope it works out well at Plymouth. :thup:

lollujo
22-10-2009, 20:48
As for the title, perhaps something the lines of "It's not plain sailing" ?

That'll do me.

WH
23-10-2009, 16:42
Well done mate, Very good job getting back to back promotions with Rotherham.

I also like to try to turn round a club that is struggling for cash. It feels like more of an achievement than winning with a rich club.

Good luck in the next phase of your career. This could be where you make the step up in reputation to be mentioned amongst some of the bigger names in football.

rancer890
23-10-2009, 16:45
Good luck with Plymouth! I got them to the Premier League in FM08 so hope you can emulate my success. ;)

How did The Gills do the past season? They didn't get relegated. :D :D

lollujo
23-10-2009, 19:21
How did The Gills do the past season? They didn't get relegated. :D :D

They finished 14th. And in a semi-spoiler of the update I'm about to write, they finished 17th the following season, so they're now into their third consecutive year of Premier League football.

lollujo
23-10-2009, 19:44
Plymouth Argyle - League 1 - 2016/17

This was probably the most fun season I've had in this save so far. I had double the wage budget I had with Rotherham, and only half of it was being used when I arrived, so I had some fun, and signed some top quality players. We were good enough to win the division, and we should have really, but I can't be too disappointed with 2nd place and my third promotion in a row.

League Table (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/table17.jpg)
League Position Graph (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/graph17.jpg)

It was also nice to see Rotherham secure a nice safe spot in mid-table. I'd hate to see them undo 3 seasons of hard work and start to slide back down again.

Transfers (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/transfers17.jpg) - The first thing I do when I arrive at a new club is sell every player who is unhappy. If they don't want to be there when I first arrive, they're not welcome to stick around! At Plymouth, that meant selling the 2 star players from the year before for a combined 1.5million. That comfortably paid off the 200,000 debt at the club, and gave me a some money to spend for the first time in my career (250,000). The first thing I did was sign my captain from Rotherham, Stephen Thompson, who'd been with them since they were in League 1 before. He hadn't let me down in my 3 years at the club. I immediately appointed him captain at Plymouth as well. I spent the rest of the money on a central defensive partner for him, and a central midfielder to replace our record sale. The rest of my transfers were frees who I'd been tracking for a while at Rotherham, but couldn't afford.

Finances (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/transfers17.jpg) - A very healthy profit for the season of 840,000, mainly due to the 2 big sales pre-season. We still found ourselves in the red at the end of the season though, after paying out some big bonuses for the higher than expected league finish. I've got some big money friendlies lined up for the pre-season, and my star midfielder who I signed on a free last season is being linked in the media with a 7million move to Celtic! So hopefully money won't be an issue in the future...

Squad (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/squad17.jpg) - My 2 star men were my central midfield partnership of Neale Saunders and Adam Johnson. They complement each other perfectly, Saunders sits in the holding role and Johnson gets forward well and scores goals. I see Saunders at 23 as a future captain of the club, who could still be in the team in the Premier League. Johnson on the other hand isn't interested in renewing his contract, and with only a year left to run, and multi-million pound transfers being rumoured, I think he's probably on his way. I'll keep trying throughout pre-season to get him to sign though.

Career Overview

13/14 Rotherham Blue Square Premier 5th Lost in play-off semi-final, Conference League Cup Runner-Up
16/17 Plymouth League 1 2nd Promoted

Next season
I'm very much looking for consolidation in the Championship. My experience from my Peterborough save is that the Championship is the hardest league in the game to get out of. I think it took me around 5 years with Peterborough. So I'll be happy with mid-table finishes for the next few seasons while we build up a strong enough financial position to mount a promotion push. Of course, if a Premier League team offers me a big sack of cash in the meantime...

lollujo
23-10-2009, 19:57
2016/17 Season Summary

Premier Division
Winners - Arsenal
Relegated - Watford, Bolton, Doncaster

Championship
Winners - Fulham
Promoted - Fulham, Sunderland, Q.P.R.
Relegated - Colchester, Huddersfield, Brighton

League 1
Winners - Bradford
Promoted - Bradford, Plymouth, Derby
Relegated - Carlisle, Oldham, Cheltenham, Barnsley

League 2
Winners - MK Dons
Promoted - MK Dons, Havant & W, Rochdale, Scunthorpe
Relegated - Macclesfield, Grimsby

Conference
Winners - York
Promoted - York, Ebbsfleet
Relegated - Cambridge, Ilkeston, Southport, Tonbridge

Conference North
Winners - Altrincham
Promoted - Altrincham, Burton
Relegated - Boston Utd, Halesowen, Buxton

Conference South
Winners - Lewes
Promoted - Lewes, Braintree
Relegated - St. Albans, Bromley, Tooting & Mitcham

FA Cup Winners - Stoke
League Cup Winners - Man City
Johnstone's Paint Trophy Winners - Derby
Conference League Cup Winners - Tranmere
FA Trophy Winners - Weymouth

UEFA Cup Winners - Villarreal

A third promotion in a row for Havant & Waterlooville. They're now up to League 1.

Feedolover
23-10-2009, 20:16
With all those leagues you've got loaded, do you have to spend a lot of time on the game to do 9 seasons in a month?

The most I've ever managed is 4 :(

lollujo
23-10-2009, 20:47
I'm playing a lot more than I ordinarily would because I'm trying to get as far into this career as possible before FM10 comes out. I'd love to get another 5 seasons done in the next week, but I think that may be pushing it a bit.

I'm lucky as I'm a student with not a lot of work to do, and I have a fast PC that handles all the leagues easily (my old laptop used to struggle with just the home nations loaded). Sad as it sounds I've played from 9am until around 1am for the last 3 days! My play style suits quick play as well, as I spend a lot of time on pre-season, then race through the season itself. I very rarely sell or sign a player once the first game of the season comes around. Plus I only play 2D or commentary only.

Basically, that last 2 paragraphs was me trying to find an acceptable way to say I'm a big loser who spends way too much time on his PC...

Saxonaitor
24-10-2009, 07:07
Could I have some infromation on how how Norwich are doing?

Good ole Havant & Waterlooville, had a career on them in this very forum, good times, good times...

lollujo
24-10-2009, 09:45
Could I have some infromation on how how Norwich are doing?

They got relegated from the Championship in 2008/09, and haven't been back since. They dropped down to League 2 for the 2012/13 season, but came straight back up again, and since then they've been a mid-table League 1 club. Although they did get into the play-offs last season, but lost in the semi-final.

MeLikeFM
25-10-2009, 18:08
They got relegated from the Championship in 2008/09, and haven't been back since. They dropped down to League 2 for the 2012/13 season, but came straight back up again, and since then they've been a mid-table League 1 club. Although they did get into the play-offs last season, but lost in the semi-final.

Are going to stay with Plymouth for the foreseeable future or hop around some more.

lollujo
25-10-2009, 18:17
Are going to stay with Plymouth for the foreseeable future or hop around some more.

They've just given me a new 3 year contract on 2,500 p/w, so unless a really good offer comes in, I'll probably stick around. I'm enjoying it here, so don't see any reason to move on yet.

lollujo
25-10-2009, 20:18
Plymouth Argyle - Championship - 2017/18

A nice boring season of consolidation, which was exactly what I was expecting:

League Table (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/table18.jpg)
League Position Graph (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/graph18.jpg)

From October onwards, we never went any higher than 15th, or any lower than 18th. There was never any danger of getting promoted or relegated, and we just kept ourselves to ourselves. We did reach the 4th round of the FA Cup to face Arsenal away, which was my first competitive game against top flight opposition. They thrashed us.

Transfers (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/transfers18.jpg) - The good thing about being at this level is that clubs are willing to pay decent money for my cast-offs. So I sold some of the deadwood for just over 1million, and brought in better replacements for free. Including Matthew Newsham, a left winger who I gave a league debut to at age 15 when I was at Bristol Rovers. He played almost every game while I was there, and now aged 20, my scouts see him as a future Premier League player.

Finances (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/finances18.jpg) - A 1million profit for the season, which looks good on paper, but when you consider I made 1.2million profit on transfers, it shows that for the time being we're still very much a selling club. I expect to have to sell one or two stars every summer just to balance the books, unless of course we reach the promised land...

Squad (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/squad18.jpg) - I eventually managed to re-sign Johnson, but by then I'd signed his replacement, another defensive midfielder to play alongside Saunders in a much more conservative formation. But as I've not been able to sign a decent right winger since I've been at the club, he made himself a new home out wide. I also seem to have stumbled across a defensive gem, Aaron Thomas. I signed him to provide cover at right back, but by the end of the season he was first choice centre back and in the England Under-21 team. There are some big clubs sniffing around him, and he's said he wants to go, so I guess he'll be the book-balancer this summer!

Career Overview

17/18 Plymouth Championship 17th

Next season
The first part of the mission is accomplished, we have a squad that's too good to get relegated from the Championship. Now we just need to add some quality players each season, and gradually move on towards the Premier League. At this level, quality doesn't come cheap, so I'll have to build the team slowly. As long as we're moving in the right direction each year, I'll be happy. I was offered, and accepted, a new 3 year contract in the close season on 2,500 p/w (double what I was on before), and I fully expect to be here for at least a couple more seasons, unless a big offer comes in for me.

lollujo
25-10-2009, 20:24
2017/18 Season Summary

Premier Division
Winners - Arsenal
Relegated - Portsmouth, Q.P.R., Everton

Championship
Winners - Birmingham
Promoted - Birmingham, Ipswich, Coventry
Relegated - Sheff Wed, Southend, Derby

League 1
Winners - Norwich
Promoted - Norwich, Crystal Palace, Leyton Orient
Relegated - Walsall, Scunthorpe, Nottm Forest, Cardiff

League 2
Winners - Hartlepool
Promoted - Hartlepool, Kettering, Peterborough, Torquay
Relegated - Stockport, Oldham

Conference
Winners - Grays
Promoted - Grays, Crawley
Relegated - Burton, Accrington, Macclesfield, King's Lynn

Conference North
Winners - Cambridge
Promoted - Cambridge, Barrow
Relegated - Worcester, Bedford, Burscough

Conference South
Winners - Tonbridge
Promoted - Tonbridge, Basingstoke
Relegated - Eastbourne Boro, Hayes & Yeading, Solihull Moors

FA Cup Winners - Arsenal
League Cup Winners - Tottenham
Johnstone's Paint Trophy Winners - Brighton
Conference League Cup Winners - Kidderminster
FA Trophy Winners - Cambridge City

Champions League Winners - Man Utd
UEFA Cup Winners - Inter
World Cup - Argentina

After 7 years in the Blue Square Premier, and a couple of near misses on promotion to the football league, King's Lynn are now back where I found them, in the Conference North...

rancer890
25-10-2009, 22:40
Nice work meeting your goal of surviving in the Championship. :thup:

The Gills are still in the EPL. :D:D

lollujo
26-10-2009, 22:33
Plymouth Argyle - Championship - 2018/19

I'm getting bored of slowly building a team capable of a promotion push...

League Table (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/table19.jpg)
League Position Graph (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/graph19.jpg)

Although we finished a fair bit higher up the league, we still never looked like getting into the play-offs. I'm getting frustrated with having to sell my best players each summer just to balance the books.

Transfers (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/transfers19.jpg) - We sold Aaron Thomas for a club record 3.1million, plus another 2million worth of fringe players and has beens. I got half of it back, and decided on a change in transfer policy. I didn't buy any players older than 21, and I was specifically targetting under 19s who my scouts predict a Premier League future for. The main reason behind this is that hopefully these players will have good resale value to allow us to stay affloat without selling any established first teamers in future. And also, if I sign 5 or 6 of these a season, and only sell 1 or 2, within 2 or 3 seasons I should have a team full of players capable of playing in the top flight, assembled on the cheap and fairly quickly. That's the plan anyway.

Finances (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/finances19.jpg) - Despite the 2.5million profit I made on transfers, we still only made 350,000 profit for the season. My new transfer policy has already led to a 30,000 p/w reduction in the wage bill as I've let older players leave and replaced them with teenagers. That works out at 1.5million over the course of the season. Hopefully that will allow me to just need a transfer profit of around 1million each summer, so I shouldn't have to sell too many stars.

Squad (http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/lollujo/squad19.jpg) - Star man of the last couple of seasons Dwayne Bowles turns 30 this summer, and there are clubs interested for around 2million. So Johnson and Saunders look set to be able to reunite their League 1 central midfield partnership next season. They are now captain and vice-captain of the club, and I'll be heavily relying on the two of them to provide valuable experience and leadership to all the teenagers playing around them.

Career Overview

18/19 Plymouth Championship 10th

Next season
More of the same please. I'm going to be selling a lot of the older squad players and trying to bring in as many youngsters as I can fit in the wage budget. Either it'll work and I'll be a hero, or I'll end up getting relegated with a bunch of youngsters not ready for first team football...

lollujo
26-10-2009, 22:41
2018/19 Season Summary

Premier Division
Winners - Arsenal
Relegated - Birmingham, Ipswich, Coventry

Championship
Winners - Everton
Promoted - Everton, Portsmouth, Stoke
Relegated - Norwich, Bradford, Doncaster

League 1
Winners - Sheff Wed
Promoted - Sheff Wed, Huddersfield, Shrewsbury
Relegated - MK Dons, Blackpool, Wycombe, Aldershot

League 2
Winners - Scunthorpe
Promoted - Scunthorpe, Mansfield, Crewe, Walsall
Relegated - Chesterfield, Cheltenham

Conference
Winners - Bournemouth
Promoted - Bournemouth, Forest Green
Relegated - Altrincham, Grimsby, Northwich, Braintree

Conference North
Winners - Accrington
Promoted - Accrington, Cambridge C
Relegated - North Ferriby, Fleetwood, Guiseley

Conference South
Winners - AFC Wimbledon
Relegated - AFC Hornchurch, Mangotsfield, Hemel Hempstead

FA Cup Winners - Arsenal
League Cup Winners - Liverpool
Johnstone's Paint Trophy Winners - Derby
Conference League Cup Winners - Forest Green
FA Trophy Winners - Wrexham

UEFA Cup Winners - Inter

hamilton162
27-10-2009, 15:02
A good promotion season, followed by 2 more consolidation seasons, good work :thup:

Wycombe stayed up for 2 years before coming back down again :(

Saxonaitor
27-10-2009, 16:24
Norwich :(

I blame you lollujo :mad: :D

WH
27-10-2009, 17:01
Going well so far. Steady progression, similar improvement will see you in the playoffs next year.

Transfer policy is the same as i like to use, its good long term but can be painful in the short term. Good luck!

lollujo
28-10-2009, 11:49
Plymouth Argyle - Championship - 2019/20

Well, it seems my gamble on youth didn't pay off. Although the squad was full of players with lots of potential, there wasn't enough quality and experience to take care of this season. I don't think we would have been relegated, as performances were starting to improve, but all my senior players had lost confidence in my ability, so the board gave me an extended Christmas break by sacking me on boxing day.

And I think that calls a day on lollujo (09 version)'s management career. If the gamble had worked, and led us to Premier League, I was seriously considering leaving FM10 uninstalled to finish this career properly. As it is, I can't be bothered to start again at a new club with FM10 only 2 days away.

I did learn some lessons from the failed youth experiment, which hopefully my reborn 2010 vintage can use to his advantage when he takes over the reigns at Corby Town in a couple of days time...

Career Overview

18/19 Plymouth Championship 10th
19/20 Plymouth Championship 21st (when sacked after 24 games)

lollujo
28-10-2009, 12:05
Career Summary

Highest fee spent 650K for Thijs Peters on 20/07/2018
Highest fee received 3.1M for Aaron Thomas on 08/07/2018
Number of players bought 157
Number of players sold 121
Number of players released 141
Total value of players bought 6,250,000
Total value of players sold 12,500,000

Longest time at a club 1594 days (King's Lynn)
Shortest time at a club 153 days (Bristol Rovers)
Number of teams managed 4
Number of awards won 9
Total career earnings 475K

League wins 1
Cup wins 1
Games played 629
Games won 289
Games drawn 164
Games lost 176
Goals scored 801 (1.3 p/m)
Goals conceded 578 (0.9 p/m)
Goal difference 223

Team Date Joined Date Left Achievements
King's Lynn 08/07/2008 18/11/2012 Promoted from BSN
Bristol Rovers 18/11/2012 20/04/2013 Relegated from League 2
Rotherham 27/05/2013 06/07/2016 FA Trophy Winners, Promoted from BSP, League 2 Champions
Plymouth 06/07/2016 26/12/2019 Promotion from League 1

Thanks to all those who've read and enjoyed my thread. I'll be back with my new one sometime over the weekend.

hamilton162
28-10-2009, 12:52
A disappointing end to a topsy turvy career lollujo. Hopefully you can do better on FM10 :thup:

Saxonaitor
28-10-2009, 16:26
Well done Indeed Lollujo, looking forward to your career in FM10, will it be LLM as this one or normal rules?

I'm still deciding for myself to be fair..

Raware
28-10-2009, 16:34
Nice career with both up's and down's. At least this career thread managed to stay open! ;)

Good luck with your new game on FM10...I look forward to reading.

Gripper
28-10-2009, 18:56
Superb! Nice one lollujo.

Feel free to msn me anytime ;)

lollujo
28-10-2009, 20:26
A disappointing end to a topsy turvy career lollujo. Hopefully you can do better on FM10 :thup:

If I can get from the BSN to the Championship in less than 10 years again like I did on this save, I'll be a very happy chappy.

Well done Indeed Lollujo, looking forward to your career in FM10, will it be LLM as this one or normal rules?

I've not been able to play anyway other than LLM since the moment I first discovered it. So without doubt, it's going to be another LLM career.

Nice career with both up's and down's. At least this career thread managed to stay open! ;)

If my first FM09 save had gone the way this one did, I don't think that thread would have been closed either. I've obviously lost the beginners luck.

Cheers, and I'll be keeping my eye on those researcher vacancies, so I'm sure you'll hear from me again!

WH
28-10-2009, 21:23
Unlucky in the end but a good job done over 10 years and a good read.

See you soon with the new version. :thup:

MeLikeFM
30-10-2009, 03:18

Healthy gay relationship thriving :thup: Always nice to see :D

lollujo
30-10-2009, 21:09
I couldn't let the last comment be the final post in my thread!