Ever had a player?

A GK who I won't name (because I can't remember it :D ). My scouts and AM were convinced he was useless but I bought him as a backup. Sold him a year later for some hideous amount and just bought him back because he is by far the best keeper in the league. They still tell me he is useless, idiots.

Its happened to me a few times. I bought a striker that wasn't rated by my scouts, and i only bought him due to my real life knowledge of him. Just checked on that particular save and the chap scored 117 league goals 192 games. Not a bad return really but unfortunately my team hit the championship and he became less effective and left the club as favoured personnel.

Some current players in different squads that i have managed have been branded useless by my staff but have always done the job when i have played them.

No matter how good your scouts are, they are not infallible. There will always be some bad calls, especially if they have low Judgment stats. I often make my own decision on a player, based on whether he has the stats I need for the position. A lot of the time my scouts don't agree with my assessment and the players generally do well enough for me.

It's pretty common to get glowing reports on someone that turns out to be a complete waste of time, too. Happens in real life, too. How else do you explain Craig Bellamy's career? :D

No matter how good your scouts are, they are not infallible. There will always be some bad calls, especially if they have low Judgment stats. I often make my own decision on a player, based on whether he has the stats I need for the position. A lot of the time my scouts don't agree with my assessment and the players generally do well enough for me.

It's pretty common to get glowing reports on someone that turns out to be a complete waste of time, too. Happens in real life, too. How else do you explain Craig Bellamy's career? :D

I'd imagine he would just whine and moan and swear until he got his own way! Failing that, he'd get the golf clubs out! :D

Comparing a world class striker to Craig Bellamy? :thdn:

I never go with scouts for current ability, but there's nothing else to use for potential ability, so I have to trust them.

Tevez world class :confused::confused::confused:

He's Argentinian and runs alot. Doesn't score THAT many goals or chip in with an astounding number of assists either.

(Stats from FM09 [not including recent seasons, as they're fictional]:

Games: 170

Goals: 72

That's a ratio of 1 in 2.36 games not shocking, but not World Class.

I have currently a player my scout said was a four star player turn into a seven star player when I signed him (and having 7.20 AvR in the EPL as a 18 year old). Same scout had a DC at four stars turn into a six star prospect when signing. Scout has 17 JPA so he isn't horrible.

Lesson is to take a second look at the players attributes and not just focus on the stars.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived