FM2010 blog 18 - transfers and contracts

Cheers Miles. Happy that the transfer system has been further improved - and its good that clubs now will look at younger players more often. I just really hope that the fans acknowledge when you sign young players for the academy, I really dislike it when they complain about them not playing when they are for the future.

Good news on the transfer system updates!

Linked to that, and the media stuff, will you (if you sell a player to a club in the same league) have to answer press conference questions about that player returning to his former club...EVERY MATCH?! I pretty much purposefully avoid selling players to clubs in the same league for this reason alone.

Looking forward to seeing all these great sounding changes in the game though!

I'm pleased to read that the transfer module have been improved and now clubs look to improve their youth side.

May i ask if now a player accept the AI club bid when he is on loan with future buy option?

This didn't work properly in FM09.

Hi Miles

Nice to hear that you have revamped the tranfer system this year.

One question: If you buy a player for let us say €24 000 000 over 24 months, can you then after 3 months negotiate to pay the remaining 21 instalments at once for a discount of a couple of millions?

Can't this be exploited so that you always buy players offering clauses and instalments and then negotiate them later.

Hopefully this is well tuned:)

Hi Miles

Nice to hear that you have revamped the tranfer system this year.

One question: If you buy a player for let us say €24 000 000 over 24 months, can you then after 3 months negotiate to pay the remaining 21 instalments at once for a discount of a couple of millions?

Can't this be exploited so that you always buy players offering clauses and instalments and then negotiate them later.

Hopefully this is well tuned:)

I think what was being said is that you can buy out the clauses like after league games, after goals, after international appearances and so on. The actual structure to pay the transfer fee would be non negotiable i'd imagine. Would you sell a player for 20 mill only to be offered 15 mill in a few months? I wouldnt, i'd rather wait.

Clubs did buy young players for the future in FM09 too. A good way to see if a player has a high potential ability in FM09 is if the player are tranfered in the same transfer window that he was created in. I really hope that is not the case anymore. It's good if clubs (mainly from big leagues) buy young player, and also playing them once in a while, but that didn't work as it should in FM09. It is not fun to see all good Swedish, Danish or Polish regens going to some Bulgarian or Romanian team a week after they was generated.

Transfers of (very 15-17) young players should mainly be to the big leagues in the region. From all over the world to England, Spain, Italy & Germany. To Brazil & Argentina from South America and so on. Not from Sweden to Bulgaria. That's unrealistic and almost broke my FM09 feeling a little. And most young players should not move until around 18 anyways. Only a few prospects should move clubs before that. Even though i like that it's possible. It was just happening too often in FM09.

On an unrelated note: Does this tweaking mean that transfers between clubs from the same nation are much rarer (as in real life) in many of the small leagues in the game? In Sweden it's almost never any direct transfers between the clubs. If a Swedish player change between two Swedish clubs it's mostly between two teams in different divisions or the player has been playing abroad in between the change. In FM the players was changing between domestic clubs all the time.

I'm interested to see if the transfer system has been tweaked in the sense that values are more representative of real life. The age old issue of human player has to overpay to get a player, but cpu player will offer you pennies for a player of value (bar man city on the previous version).

This was a pleasant surprise! I can't wait to see this in action! I have to ask if one thing that has bugged me for years now has been corrected? If a club signs a player through the Bosman ruling, will you be able to negotiate to sell/buy that player before the last six months of his contract is up? For instance if club X offers a contract to a player at club Y and he accepts, will club Y be able to offer the player for a fee now to club X instead of the player having to spend the last six months of his contract at club Y? It is really and issue that has annoyed me, as this often happens in the Danish league, but you have never been able to do it in FM!

i don't understand the "clause"..someone explain me??? :D

When you bid for a player, you have clauses you can offer his club.

X amount after X club league games

X amount after X goals

X amount after X international games

and so on.

If you sign this player, you can ask his old club if they want this 'clause money' earlier, instead of waiting.

For example: if you buy a striker for £2million now and £500,000 after 20 League Goals, you can ask his old club (after say 6 months) if they will accept £300,000 now, instead of waiting for the player to 20 League goals.

i don't understand the "clause"..someone explain me??? :D

You sometimes buy or sell a player with a 'clause' which means that some of the money will not be transferred before he has played say 50 games for the new club, or scored 50 goals, or maybe you will get 25 percent of the transfer fee if the player is sold to a new club.

When you bid for a player, you have clauses you can offer his club.

X amount after X club league games

X amount after X goals

X amount after X international games

and so on.

If you sign this player, you can ask his old club if they want this 'clause money' earlier, instead of waiting.

For example: if you buy a striker for £2million now and £500,000 after 20 League Goals, you can ask his old club (after say 6 months) if they will accept £300,000 now, instead of waiting for the player to 20 League goals.

thank you ;)

It does have the potential to go disasterously wrong with a big club hoovering up all the talent it can find. Lets hope SI have found a balance :D

You are not the only one thinking that :) I had the same thought when reading that part. I am afraid that what we will see is big clubs scooping all good young players up. In patch 9.3.0 of FM2009 we already saw that happening, all great regens were signed by bigger clubs shortly after started at their clubs thus hardly never player for the original team, and most of the times for very low transfer fees.

I am loving the idea of AI managers thinking of the future and buying what a "shadow squad" like Arsenal does, young players for the various positions for the future. I am not hoping we will see Man City buying 6 young strikers.

AI transfers have become better and better with every FM. In FM2009 for the first time I saw AI managers selling players on certain positions and then buying players for those samen positions and most of the times they bought players with a good future ahead (younger ones). I hope FM2010 continues this path but makes sure that young talent being scooped away from clubs by bigger clubs will not be a standard but an exception.

I think what was being said is that you can buy out the clauses like after league games, after goals, after international appearances and so on. The actual structure to pay the transfer fee would be non negotiable i'd imagine. Would you sell a player for 20 mill only to be offered 15 mill in a few months? I wouldnt, i'd rather wait.

It depends on the situation though. If you're £15m in debt, then I would imagine that £15m would be pretty useful. Or if you're in relegation trouble, £15m to spend on players now instead of £20m over the next 3 years could be very handy.

"However, the big clubs in the game were always more interested in signing players for then and there, rather than looking to the future, and great prospects will now find many clubs interested in them at a much earlier age, with clubs looking to improve their youth teams a lot more than in previous versions of the game."

Thank you. The way clubs ignore youth players in the last two-ish versions of the game have really bothered me. Does this mean we will have bids rejected because the other club think the players is "an important player for the future" again? No more unrealistic buying big name talents for peanuts?

The AI CANNOT see the PA value.

That's a poke in the eye for the people who use external programs to look at the CA/PA just because they think the game can.

Hopefully when playing as a small club we can still get hold of the odd young gem that other clubs have missed.

when the AI makes a loan bid for one of your players they specify which squad status they think he will have at their club (backup, rotation, first team, key player) but in FM09 we, the player couldn't specify that role when we made a loan bid. Will we be able to in FM10?

Sounds pretty good overall.

I'm not sure the main problem with big clubs and big talent is buying/selling though. It seems to mainly be not giving them them enough first team football, or alternatively the game requiring first team football for development to an unrealistic degree, leaving them in limbo.

With the new contracts will it be possible to buy a player but immediately send then back on loan just like Man Utd did Ljajic?

The blog looks brilliant too can't wait for the game now.

Firstly, they didn't loan back Ljajic. He didn't actually join until summer, the transfer was just agreed.

Secondly, [and afaik] this isn't actually allowed as part of one deal. All cases of this irl will be two seperate deals.

"However, the big clubs in the game were always more interested in signing players for then and there, rather than looking to the future, and great prospects will now find many clubs interested in them at a much earlier age, with clubs looking to improve their youth teams a lot more than in previous versions of the game."

Thank you. The way clubs ignore youth players in the last two-ish versions of the game have really bothered me. Does this mean we will have bids rejected because the other club think the players is "an important player for the future" again? No more unrealistic buying big name talents for peanuts?

Taking FM09 as example. The problem is not that the clubs don't buy young players. The problem is that they never give them chances in the first team. Good prospect in FM can be generated at age 16 and then when they're 22 year old they have played like 2-3 first team matches.

With the new contracts will it be possible to buy a player but immediately send then back on loan just like Man Utd did Ljajic?

The blog looks brilliant too can't wait for the game now.

Firstly, they didn't loan back Ljajic. He didn't actually join until summer, the transfer was just agreed.

Secondly, [and afaik] this isn't actually allowed as part of one deal. All cases of this irl will be two seperate deals.

Building on what James said, the deal actually couldn't go through until the summer, because he was too young. The same thing was simulated in FM, prior to 9.0.3 of course. It still is for all young players playing in certain countries abroad.

Sounds great. Will the AI poach all the young talent in the game as it can see the PA value?

I'd be happy if this actually did happen as might make the AI more challenging in long term games rather than watch big clubs pay over the top sums for crap players time and time again...

one important thing to me at least is to have the option of selling players at their current value "on the fly". i've been clamoring for this since CM became FM... allow me to explain

say a guy is worth 10K, if u offer to clubs the askin price would be 10K, now if for watever reason his value increases and decreases, u have to manually adjust that in the transfer status window. i think it would be nice to have an option where the offer to clubs option has the "current value" automatically updated to avoid the aforementioned hassle.

Miles' confirmation that the AI cannot see the PA of players has me puzzled :D

I've only ever seen youth players being actively approached in Italy, specifically in co-ownership deals. Juventus, Milan, Inter, Roma etc all actively pursue excellent youngsters and make co-ownership bids for 16/17 year old kids, all with very high PA's who could match the level of their current stars.

How are they going about this? Player description or something else? Or do the AI clubs actively scout the leagues like we do and award scouting stars?

Archived