Product Key and connecting

Recently just bought a laptop from my friend - the Dell 640m Inspiron. He kindly also gave me FM 2009 which I and installed requires a product key from me to play, I have the product key but my laptop was not connected to the internet to acivate it - which it needs to be right? He'd only ever connected it to the internet wirelessly, however I don't have a wired connection in my house. I unplugged my the main compter from the modem and plugged an ethernet cable into my modem and the other end into my laptop (as I do with my PS3) but it wouldn't connect to the internet, I then plugged the laptop in directly to the modem via the USB connection the computer usually uses but it still wouldn't connect.

Any idea why it won't connect? Not sure if I need to set up some settings... It said something about plugging a cable into a Local Area Connection adapter?! I thought by just plugging it into the modem via ethernet or USB it would automaticcaly work, no? But then again I'm an idiot with computers so would really appreciate any advice - desperate to play FM2009!!

One thing to check on the 'Local Area Connection' is this.

Right click on local area connection icon. -> Then select Properties from the list -> Then make sure all the tickboxes for this in the box for the 'This connection i using the followng items.' are ticked.--> The select Internet Protocal (IPv4 is using Vista)TCP/IP then select the properties bottom.

This will bring up a pop window, make sure this is set to obtain IP addresses and DNS server addresses automatically. (if they are not just choose these then click ok)

As long as the LAN card is enabled and set to pick up IP's and DNS auto; you'll be fine. If not go into DOS/Command prompt and run this command.

ipconfig then press the Enter button.

If you see an IP address being assigned for the LAN card as 169.254

You can fix it by running. in the same DOS winow these x2 commands.

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt press enter

and

netsh winsock reset press enter

Restart laptop jobs a good-un

I think there is a phone number that you can use to authenticate if you dont have\cant connect to the net. You should find it in the manual I think. If you dont have a manual have a read of the activation thread or contact sega who might be able to help you out.

Try this

You receive the ‘Error: Application was unable to connect to the internet. Please check your connection.

Fix:

1) Open IE and go to: https://fm2009.sa01.softanchorinsight.com

2) Here if you are using IE7 it will prompt you – “There is a problem with this website’s security certificate.”

3) Next, Click – “Continue to this website (not recommended)”. However – this is okay, it is safe.

4) Look up top at your IE address bar – you will see “Certificate Error”. Click this box, then click “View Certificates”.

5) Press, “Install Certificate…”

6) Select the “Place all certificates in the following store”.

7) Press “Browse”

8) Select “Trusted Root Certificate Authorities”. Not this will install the Go Daddy (a reputable) certificate into your trusted root certificate authorities if it is not there.

9) Press OK

10) Press Next

11) Press Finish

Close IE, then Reopen it and to go to https://fm2009.sa01.softanchorinsight.com. Note: on this visit, you will be allowed without trouble.

From here –

1) Reopen your FM2009 game

2) Enter your key into the Activation Dialog

3) Select the “Online” activation

4) Press Next

You game should activate immediately.

If you are install the certificate incorrectly, the error message will still be visible – for more help on installing correctly, please visit:

http://www.thebitguru.com/articles/13-Importing%2520a%2520Trusted%2520Root%2520Certifica tion%2520Authority%2520in%2520Windows%2520Vista/188-Installing%2520the%2520Certificate

Please note: You will require your system clock to be set correctly, failure to do so will cause an error with HTTPS. Please therefore ensure your system time and date are set correctly.

Archived