Afaik,iirc,op.. dictionary please!

Some abbreviations like lol or brb have become familiar even to people who don't have English as their first language.

However other abbreviations like afaic or op, used frequently in this forum may be tricky to some of us foreigners.

My idea is to have a sticky thread which helps us who don't speak English as their first language to understand more of these abbreviations or some English slang words not so popular abroad. This should be an open thread so everyone can give their contribution as soon as new expressions emerge.

AFAIK: As far as I know.

OP: Original Poster/Post

IIRC: If I remember/recall correctly.

Don't know if you were having difficulty with these or not. A dictionary wouldn't be needed however, if someone stumbles across an abbreviation they do not recognise, they'll just ask in the thread.

AFAIK: As far as I know.

OP: Original Poster/Post

IIRC: If I remember/recall correctly.

Don't know if you were having difficulty with these or not. A dictionary wouldn't be needed however, if someone stumbles across an abbreviation they do not recognise, they'll just ask in the thread.

True, but then you will usually forget about it in some months and ask about that again and again.. and I can see that even English speaking people are having trobule with them :p

However, I am not saying this is something crucial for the forum or for FM itself.. I was just trying to give a suggestion

I'm English and I struggle with them. :D

I believe this is exactly what you are looking for, from the excellent Football Manager Wiki people.

The one that always confused me in the past is 'ofc', which ofc means 'of course' (do you see what I did there?;))

However, before coming across the FM Wiki abbreviations and slang list, I used to presume that, as in most abbreviations, an individual letter represented a whole word. So, naturally, I assumed that 'ofc' meant 'of ****ing course' (use your imagination to fill in the stars kids!) To this day, I still read 'ofc' as meaning this rather more offensive and ruder version! :o

:D

Regards,

C.

The funny side is that when you politely ask a Brittish to repeat a spoken sentence cause you didn't understand due to the fast speed of the pronounce, he will keep on repeating the same sentence, yes, but always with the exact same speed for 3-4 times.... ..... :D

I'm English and I struggle with them. :D

I believe this is exactly what you are looking for, from the excellent Football Manager Wiki people.

The one that always confused me in the past is 'ofc', which ofc means 'of course' (do you see what I did there?;))

However, before coming across the FM Wiki abbreviations and slang list, I used to presume that, as in most abbreviations, an individual letter represented a whole word. So, naturally, I assumed that 'ofc' meant 'of ****ing course' (use your imagination to fill in the stars kids!) To this day, I still read 'ofc' as meaning this rather more offensive and ruder version! :o

Regards,

C.

I always thought that too.

To make things more confusing, it can actually mean either or :p

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ofc

I'm English, and when I was younger I used all this short text stuff but now despite being only 23 being out of practise using it, I don't know what they mean.

If a thread contains too many of them I lose interest and close the thread and move on to the next topic. Text speak and Abbreviations are banned on some forums and I think this should be the same or at least only have so many allowed.

I think OP is acceptable on a forum as it is going to be used countless times, but AFAIK was something I only learned the meaning of today reading this thread.

Text speak is banned on the forums, rightly so. I used to use it, about 3 years ago, but my spelling went from incredible to terrible, so I stopped using it and I've never got back up to the level I was previously at :(

But, for me, abbreviations have become second nature and I seem to type them and read them automatically now, without even having to think about what they mean.

I try my very best to type and write in full. It's what I've been trained to do since young (the days of no handphones and Internet), and it's also what I do as a living.

Even in text messages I write in full mostly, and sometimes it ends up as two messages. Better that than the other party not understanding what I'm saying.

yes it depends who you are talking to though some people dont know computer slang some people do so if i am talking to somone who knows msn slang on a chat room then i will use slang abit but if he dosent i will use english

Most are generally acceptable to me, but the one I cannot stand is LOL. Anyone who texts/e-mails/replies to my forum posts with this automatically goes on my blacklist!!

LOL ;):D

im good at english and i still use slang in msn and forums just because people use slang that dosent mean that they are not good in english

Good at English? Is puncuation not a part of the English language anymore then? :D

baker simon

mate if you give me a test and told me to write a story with my best puncuation abilites then i will but if i was writing in a forum or chat room i just write it without care i dont care about showing off my puncuation if i write and people understand then thats ok for me

baker simon

mate if you give me a test and told me to write a story with my best puncuation abilites then i will but if i was writing in a forum or chat room i just write it without care i dont care about showing off my puncuation if i write and people understand then thats ok for me

I wasn't digging. I meant that without puncuation things can take longer to read and digest, even for people who speak English as a first language. Now imagine how it is for people who dont use English as their first choice. Puncuation not only tells people when to stop and take a pause, you can also use it to make certain word and phrases stand out making the whole sentance easier to read.

baker simon

People don't understand you though.

Archived