Will FM Ever Come To PS3?

Grimoz

Consoles generally don't have good enough processing power so I doubt it unless the game took a step backwards

Absolute bollocks - the Cell processor is easily capable of beating today's mainstream and high-end PC processors if the same program is written for the PS3 in mind.

The main problem is that:

- It's really difficult to write software using the Cell processor - you can't easily port an x86 architecture program like one written for Windows on an Intel processor onto the PS3, but it is much easier to do so from PC to the 360

- The PS3 is really designed for FLOPS and graphical throughput - Football Manager doesn't really need a dedicated processor for the latter

- The PS3 has low RAM and it is really slow, although games consoles do use RAM much more efficiently than "you need 1 Gb for Vista alone"

However, thanks to the Cell processor, I'd wager that the PS3 will still be able to run Football Manager 2009 faster than a high-end computer if Football Manager 2009 was optimised for the PS3. It would also save and load way faster. It would probably fall down if you loaded all leagues, though, because there isn't enough RAM on the thing.

Cell isnt that great as a proper CPU. Its mostly a special coprocessor thingy more suitable for massively parallel number crunching with a fairly weak ppc core attached. Its pretty much the same thing as using your graphics card to do the number crunching. Its much faster than a cpu but only at some tasks. Besides. PS3s main problem is the pathetic amount of ram available. Xbox 360 is a much more balanced machine but you are still stuck with a controller which is completely useless for a management type of game.

I do wonder if SI has looked into openCL or directcompute as a way of speeding up the processing.

out of desperation I brought Championship manager 07 on PS2! when my comp broke and it wasn't half as bad as id thought it would be.

It would be possible but it would have to be a different game to the PC version, i.e Champ man on ps2 could only play in country in a save, stuff like that, and i cant see many people wanting that.

Seems to be that the game being developed for PC or MAC is the future at the moment, the other side to the argument is that game developing or coding for a console in way is fairer to what you can achieve, as everyone is the same boat aren't they ....bar, the removable media such as Hard Disk Drives then everyone is in the same boat. Same CPU, same RAM, etc, etc. As it's just a console.

But it's creating the game and moving forward. There is a thread on here about being on the 360. They said something along the lines maybe in the future. But only maybe.

But this is my own opinion, I wouldn't want it on the PS3 or 360 I just wouldn't enjoy the game in the same way now. To be honest there are some games are console only some are PC only IMO.

That's not very nice :(

I have a PS3. Given the choice I would play it on PC, it's just the way I am but I'd play Fifa , COD4 etc on the PS3.

I agree that Fifa is better on the console (due to a crappy port mostly) but cod4? Cmon..you need a mouse & keyboard. I tried it on a controller and its so bad that i cant even describe it using words.

Well they aren't making it for the xbox anymore so unlikely that it will come to the PS3.

The best console manager game was Premier Manager 98. Also pretty good on the PC too.

From what I understand FM2008 for the XBox 360 was developed externally with SI watching over the process, however SI were never happy with the finished game and pulled the plug for the forceable future.

I would rather play FM on PC so I can download club badges, skins, tactics etc.

now why would it go to a console like that , i would feel sorry for the game having to go to such a place .
I agree that Fifa is better on the console (due to a crappy port mostly) but cod4? Cmon..you need a mouse & keyboard. I tried it on a controller and its so bad that i cant even describe it using words.

I know I am a bit bizzare I've become converted playing 1st person shooters on consoles I feel the gamepad controls are better. Freakish I know. I play inverted too.

I used to play that all the time on my Playstation 1, I loved it! Even though it took up all the slots on my old memory card lol

Ha ha yeah I remember those days, I think I had over 10 memory cards full of saved games. Great fun.

Seriously why would you bother...

People did not drop $600 on a system to look at spread sheets and SNES era graphics on their 50 inch HD TV.

Though it would be interesting if it some how they incorporated PS3's six-axis into the half time team talks and media conferences...

- shake controller furiously to indicate I demand nothing than a win

- throws controller across the room to to storm out of a media conference

I just don't think console is the right place for sims like FM. It'll be interesting to know how many copies of the Xbox version Sega sold; probably not enough to warrant another console port.

Seriously why would you bother...

People did not drop $600 on a system to look at spread sheets and SNES era graphics on their 50 inch HD TV.

Though it would be interesting if it some how they incorporated PS3's six-axis into the half time team talks and media conferences...

- shake controller furiously to indicate I demand nothing than a win

- throws controller across the room to to storm out of a media conference

I just don't think console is the right place for sims like FM. It'll be interesting to know how many copies of the Xbox version Sega sold; probably not enough to warrant another console port.

Microsoft's Project Natal will be awesome for that!

"Punch Joey Barton from the touchline... Only on Football Manager 2013."

I THINK Manager games should only be on pc Premier Manager on ps2 was not good as football manager on a pc i think games like fm09 feels better on a laptop going sitting on the bed doing tactics and stuff doing late night matchs lying down putting it on window size and listening to music and checking on the web and playing fm on the same time but on a console is alittle bit eugh

Archived